Just curious: what's your go-to choice when menus have nothing you'd want to eat?

Options

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    salad or a burger.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a supper club that gets together for dinner once a week. We take turns picking places to go, so there are definitely times when the restaurant and its menu are not what I'd prefer. When that happens, I usually will just have an appetizer or else I order a couple of side dishes a la carte and sort of invent my own dinner. We went to a BBQ place a couple of weeks ago. I'm not big on BBQ, so I ordered a side of beans and a side of cornbread and ended up having a really tasty dinner!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat out & pay a premium price for something they don't want?
    Well I’m not the OP but we often meet my parents out at restaurants for dinner and my mom is super picky so I usually just eat wherever she wants to go. I don’t always *love* what I’m eating

Yeah, my in-laws are like this, too. I don't usually struggle to find something to eat, though. Grilled cheese is usually a good option. If it's a fast-food place, I go for whatever sort of battered and deep fried onion situation they've got. It's almost impossible to mess up a battered and deep fried onion situation enough that I won't enjoy it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Well I’m not the OP but we often meet my parents out at restaurants for dinner and my mom is super picky so I usually just eat wherever she wants to go. I don’t always *love* what I’m eating

I guess it pays to be cheap & not have much in the way of family around ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I reckon I'd be in trouble if I ate out as much as that so its a good job I don't so I don't have that worry. We eat out once a week, the restaurant of choice is usually very fine cuisine (along the lines of michelin star) where the food is amazing but the portions aren't big so I don't have to worry. I'll choose whatever I want but mostly go for fish or vegetarian option.

I suppose if I were to eat out more regularly, which does apply when we're on holiday I still am inclined to not order a starter and for the main, I will choose whatever appeals most but when I'm starting to feel full I'll stop, even if half the food is left on the plate. I'm very good at knowing when to stop but thats a given I think with being almost 5 years at maintenance. I hardly ever do dessert, haven't got much of a sweet tooth any more.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I can make almost any place work. I opt for lean protein and vegies without any sauces. If that's not available, tehre are salads that I can modify.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have a picky husband and in a strange restaurant he orders a BLT. I guess he figures they can’t mess that up.

I have a funny story about that. I found a delightful Mediterranean restaurant in our neighbourhood, family run with grandma in the back. I took hubby there (big mistake), he turned his nose up at the menu and asked if they could make him a tuna sandwich? Of course sir. There was a little commotion in the kitchen as they made his special order. Without mayo.

I never heard the end of it. Lousy restaurant he said, made a lousy tuna sandwich.

I took out all my girlfriends there on our play dates because I was never taking hubby there again.

It's nice to hear from another with a picky husband, although I am sorry for you, too. I am sure mine is the pickiest person on the planet. We have many wonderful restaurants in our area, and he enjoys none of them, so I go out with girlfriends. His restauant food selections are restricted to french dip sandwiches, fettucino alfredo, chicken strips (really), or pizza, only with specific toppings, or maybe a BLT with no mayo.

Sorry, OP, this is off-topic, but I do not often meet others with picky husbands.

To answer the OP, I guess I try to look at the appetizer menu for something lightweight, or soup and salad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    About the only thing I won't eat is liver or other organ meat...I will never have an issue finding something I would eat at any restaurant (though it might not be my ideal choice of restaurant), even if I was dragged kicking and screaming to Olive Garden or Red Lobster...then again, if my friends or family wanted to go to Olive Garden or Red Lobster, I might be "busy" and have to hit them up another time.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks OP, for asking this question. I struggle fairly often to find good options at restaurants. I think the reasons are the same as you and others have listed: don't want to be the difficult one, eating out is more for social reasons, etc. I end up at a lot of diners/chains mainly bc friends/family don't want to spend a ton of money, and I don't always love my options, especially if most of what's offered is either super-high calorie or just a dinner salad. And honestly, I feel a little self-conscious if I just get a small salad and everyone else gets something giant. I finish so much earlier than everyone else and am basically just sitting around watching them eat. (I know, that's a psychological factor I have to work on.) Regardless, it's been good to read other's ideas.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My reasons for it were twofold. 1. Young. 2. Stupid.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Sometimes the best thing to eat — brace yourself — is nothing. I had a business breakfast this morning at a place that had zero vegan options. Everyone ordered, I said “I’ll stick with coffee” and no one in the group batted an eye. The end.

Yep! Coffee + Nothing (or a tiny dressingless salad and coffee) is always an option for me. Having that coffee in front of me generally puts everyone at ease. Then I eat what I choose to eat at home.

And I’m not an anti salad dressings freak, I’ve just never had a salad dressing out that is worth the calories compared to what I whip up at home.
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, OP. I don't eat out often anymore but I sometimes find myself in your exact situation in a restaurant. I eat plenty at home, but I do like to prepare it myself and weigh/measure everything.

My go-to in a diner is three eggs over medium and tomato slices. I leave two yolks on the plate and eat around them. Add fruit or veg if it's available. This lets me eat socially without piling on the mystery calories.

In a dinner situation when there are not many appealing lower calorie meals, I'll choose salad with vinegar, a grilled chicken breast, or peel and eat shrimp. Shrimp always saves the day.

When I do get an average entree I will request a to go box when I order so I can pack up half of the meal before I even begin eating.

I'll usually order coffee instead of cocktails.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find a place that doesn't at least have a salad with grilled chicken.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm not picky but am on a fairly restricted diet due to illness. I generally go for the fish option in those situations but obviously that won't work for vegetarians.
    I find most restaurants are willing to be flexible ;eg if the dish includes a sauce which contains ingredients I can't eat, most will omit the sauce or offer a different one, ditto vegetables.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If I’m not very hungry I will get a coffee. If I am hungry I will get the dessert after coffee. Ice cream as dinner is my favorite. I don’t keep sweets in the house so it’s a treat and an 800 cal ice cream is more exciting than 1200 of an unappealing whatever.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Sometimes the best thing to eat — brace yourself — is nothing. I had a business breakfast this morning at a place that had zero vegan options. Everyone ordered, I said “I’ll stick with coffee” and no one in the group batted an eye. The end.

I have celiac disease and am a vegetarian. I feel you. Not all places are celiac friendly, so yup. I've sat there many times with just a beverage.
  • eyelikesharx
    eyelikesharx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just a regular chicken salad with either ginger or vinegar-based dressing. I season the chicken in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder and add lots of bell peppers and celery to the lettuce. NEVER get tired of eating this!