Does CICO not work for some people or is something else going on here?

Options
In a nutshell, I'm on a high fat keto diet for my epilepsy. I also have digestive issues (doctors don't know exactly what or the cause yet but they're aware of symptoms). I haven't been very active lately due to digestive pain. I've been eating well over 2,500 calories. Recently, I began consuming 24 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. That's in addition to everything else I eat. At the same time, my chronic constipation has turned into chronic diarrhea which unfortunately adds to my digestive issues. Anyways, despite large daily calorie surplus, I haven't gained weight. I'm not trying to but am just confused. My current TDEE is 1,600-1,800. I've been losing 1-2 pounds per DAY for over a week on over 2,500 calories.
This also reminds me of the time last year where I ate mostly salads which ended up being under 1,000 per day and I rapidly gained weight (over 12 pounds per week). My stomach looked several months pregnant back then. I wasn't, though.

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    when we talk about "water weight" we implicitly include "food in transit". If "transit" is extra slow or extra fast... that would affect your weight, temporarily.

Thanks! I actually never knew that's what it really meant :)
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Yep, gonna second malabsorption. So despite the surplus it seems like you're taking in, CI is lower than expected.

What do you think is the solution to malabsorption?
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    PS- the symptoms my doctor found so far were stomach ulcers (endoscopy), impacted stool (scan), bacteria overgrowth in the small intestine (hydrogen breath test), and gastroparesis (emptying test). But she basically said these are all symptoms to something else. Neither her or the other doctors have found out the main cause yet.
    So how are they treating your SIBO and ulcer? Antibiotics, antacids? I'm not too familiar with the other issues but won't high fat further delay gastric emptying? However, I understand you have epilepsy as well. These sound like issues that demand quick action. I would press your doctor. These are not just symptoms (which they usually treat anyway), but diagnosed conditions!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Snorks43 wrote: »
    Gaining 12 pounds a week is not something most could manage while binging,

Challenge accepted! :D

Well, to truly accept.the challenge, you would have to convince at least half the world to join you!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except support - that sounds deeply unpleasant and hopefully you and your medical team can work something out soon!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds to speed up your GI system like reglan, domperidone or erythromycin?
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I know with the keto diet a lot of people end up with constipation because they are omitting a lot of sources of fiber such as fruit and veggies. I am guessing the excessive amounts of coconut oil is causing the diarrhea now.