Metabolic Suppression, Global Warming, and Sasquatch,.....Which one is real?

Options
It is claimed that neuroscience creates a 'set-pointe' in our brain that locks in a weight our body fights to retain. Can a force of will overcome this potential incarceration, or should we just go looking for Bigfoot?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a neurological-based set point...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, one must first define "real."
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Is this the real life?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Is this the real life?

I prefer the reel life...going out and fishing while tuning out the rest of the world.
  • sidcorsini
    sidcorsini Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I read a recent article in the NYT, I think in January.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why do people get fat then? Why does this only kick in when people try to lose weight?

This is a question I still have yet to see anyone even attempt to answer. If our body "prefers" a certain weight, why does it only keep us from going under it, not over it?

And to add, one would assume that the only reason this comes up is because some people are looking for a reason why they can't lose weight. Meaning the idea is their body is keeping them fat. Why would our body prefer to be overweight? I could understand I guess the high side of the healthy weight range, but how is keeping someone at greater risk for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer evolutionarily advantageous?

Oh, and the answer to the thread title question is Global Warming. I'm not familiar with the term "Metabolic Suppression", but if it means set point, then Global Warming is the answer.

OP, since you started the thread, can you provide some sources that "claimed that neuroscience creates a 'set-pointe' in our brain that locks in a weight our body fights to retain." please?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    they're all real!

the 'squatch ended up so huge because years of crash diets 'ruined' his metabolism and caused him to get stuck at his 'set point'. Out of frustration, he resorted to his most extreme diet yet: the Egg Diet. This has given him a major case of the Egg Farts for the last 20 years. Egg Farts contain methane. Methane contributes to- you guessed it- global warming.

it's all connected. wake up, sheeple.

You. I like you. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Is this the real life?

Is this just fantasy?

feorq6u3fn5d.gif

Now I have to go watch it on YouTube. Damn you B)

If there was a set point mine would be 7st 7lbs (105 lbs). Just where all the stars tend to align.

I always think my short term weight gain was the anomaly. The thing I have to watch at the moment is not dropping weight as my CO (that dang lifting heavy things) tends to be greater than what I am happy eating.

Don't know about Sasquatch, but there is definitely a Loch Ness Monster. His Brussels sprout farts are warming the oceans.

Cheers, h.