Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Anyone cutting after a bulk?

1959799100101

Replies

  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,320 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,320 MFP Moderator
    nexangelus wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Started to workout yesterday. I am running Jeff Nippards PPL routine from his science explained series. Even though i am still not eating normal and don't have a ton of energy, i did pretty well. So far I like the routine.

    Oh gosh I am so loving Jeff Nippards hypertrophy programmes...I run them two days alongside my main 3 strength training days...my shoulders improved big time, so did my OHP!

    Yea, I have been pretty sore. I got through the first 3 days yesterday and I feel it.
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member, Premium Posts: 28,075 Member Member, Premium Posts: 28,075 Member
    1/1/20 - 193.8
    1/1/21 - 199.8
    1/8 - 200.2
    1/15 - 202.2
    1/22 - 198.4,
    1/29 - 201.4
    2/5 - 200.4
    2/12 - 197.8 - Yay, some frickin' movement!!!
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,934 Member Member Posts: 1,934 Member
    1/1/20 - 193.8
    1/1/21 - 199.8
    1/8 - 200.2
    1/15 - 202.2
    1/22 - 198.4,
    1/29 - 201.4
    2/5 - 200.4
    2/12 - 197.8 - Yay, some frickin' movement!!!

    Woohoo!

    Same, my trend line is finally heading back in the right direction. Week-to-week my average is flat with a ~3 lb spike from Monday with high fat/sodium Super Bowl dinner. Pleasantly, I'm feeling leaner and like what the mirror shows compared to the minimal change on the scale. I've been making a point to be better about fitting in all my programmed accessories, even if that means knocking out a superset or two after I get home from work, later in the evening, or make-up sets incorporated with my Saturday session.

    Equipment-wise, I bought some roller j-cups for the rack that finally came in last week and snagged a foam plyo box for hip thrusts that came Wednesday. The j-cups are nice for benching heavy and getting the bar centered but I did have to adjust which peg to put them in. Haven't done much with the plyo box yet but I'm impressed with the heft and quality of the cover for $70. As with most of my stuff they both came from Titan.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,795 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,795 Member
    I really only cut at the time I was contest prepping. And that was usually a 16 week ordeal. And each week was progressively ridding your diet of salt, fat, diary, sugar, etc. Always hated contest dieting even though the results for a day were great. For people that can stay lean all year around...................kudos to them.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,934 Member Member Posts: 1,934 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I really only cut at the time I was contest prepping. And that was usually a 16 week ordeal. And each week was progressively ridding your diet of salt, fat, diary, sugar, etc. Always hated contest dieting even though the results for a day were great. For people that can stay lean all year around...................kudos to them.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Curious, what do you consider the threshold to being "lean"?
  • nexangelusnexangelus Member Posts: 2,068 Member Member Posts: 2,068 Member
    I cannot pose for diddly....but here is me at 145.2 lbs, lowest weight last week was 144.8 lbs, still heading down on you guessed it 1903 cals per day....so glad I have not had to lower any more than this to keep going....

    moxe0s3cbd3y.jpg
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,795 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,795 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I really only cut at the time I was contest prepping. And that was usually a 16 week ordeal. And each week was progressively ridding your diet of salt, fat, diary, sugar, etc. Always hated contest dieting even though the results for a day were great. For people that can stay lean all year around...................kudos to them.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Curious, what do you consider the threshold to being "lean"?
    For me it would be at 15%. And I'm above that right now, so a little more bodyfat loss will get me there again.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,934 Member Member Posts: 1,934 Member
    Hope everyone's been well. I thought I had things moving in the right direction but my weight has been bouncing around, generally in the upward direction. Last week a did a little analysis based on days of the week and saw a pretty clear trend that Sunday calories and Monday weight are pretty demonstratively off-trend. Tried to compensate with my intake yesterday and was a good few hundred calories clear of TDEE and average Sunday intake and was rewarded with a 2+ lb spike over trend weight... so that's fun.

    Other than generically do better/try harder I'm a little at a loss of what lever to pull. Yes my adherence to goal has been pretty terrible but the data says my TDEE should still be over what I've averaged for intake but the scale says otherwise.

    Been eyeing getting a new barbell and Rogue actually has a decent variety in stock... that's sure to help, right?
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member, Premium Posts: 28,075 Member Member, Premium Posts: 28,075 Member
    New barbells can’t hurt!

    I can’t seem to get my head right. Just happy to be basically maintaining at this point.
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,934 Member Member Posts: 1,934 Member
    I’ll put it to the group, which color should I get for maximum fat loss acceleration? I’m leaning blue or grey but all plastic lining on my j-cups is black so the all-black is in contention in the event the knurling might pick up flecks. The lime green is a little bit of a wild card in the sense that I think I like the idea of being a guy with a lime green bar, but it’s not something I’d probably ever buy.
  • nexangelusnexangelus Member Posts: 2,068 Member Member Posts: 2,068 Member
    I just got my 15 kg oly lifting bar in black, looks nice....go for black @steveko89 ....yeah learning new olympic lifts...snatching is freaking hard...weight down to 143.8 and still dropping on the 1903 cals per day....am feeling extremely hangry this week already, it's only Tuesday. Not much longer to go to goal, but I might be losing my shite any day now....training is becoming really sluggish, especially the finishers...oh learnt dragon flag and working on hold times now...impatient does not cover the feeling....
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,934 Member Member Posts: 1,934 Member
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I just got my 15 kg oly lifting bar in black, looks nice....go for black @steveko89 ....yeah learning new olympic lifts...snatching is freaking hard...weight down to 143.8 and still dropping on the 1903 cals per day....am feeling extremely hangry this week already, it's only Tuesday. Not much longer to go to goal, but I might be losing my shite any day now....training is becoming really sluggish, especially the finishers...oh learnt dragon flag and working on hold times now...impatient does not cover the feeling....

    Oly lifts and dragon flag sounds awesome. I stick to powerlifting/bodybuilding style lifts as my basement ceiling height doesn’t lend itself to explosive overhead movements. I can do OHP with full size plates but have to stand in the right spot so the plates go between the joists. Might have to look into learning dragon flag though.
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member, Premium Posts: 28,075 Member Member, Premium Posts: 28,075 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I’ll put it to the group, which color should I get for maximum fat loss acceleration? I’m leaning blue or grey but all plastic lining on my j-cups is black so the all-black is in contention in the event the knurling might pick up flecks. The lime green is a little bit of a wild card in the sense that I think I like the idea of being a guy with a lime green bar, but it’s not something I’d probably ever buy.

    Green!!!! 🐸 🍃 🌱 🥑
    edited March 2
  • steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,934 Member Member Posts: 1,934 Member
    c2wbc6ovqi0e.jpeg

    Picture didn’t attach on my original post, here are the four options in photo form. Cerakote all over with black sleeves across the board.
  • dharboltdharbolt Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    Definitely the lime green!
  • runinthesun7runinthesun7 Member Posts: 103 Member Member Posts: 103 Member
    dharbolt wrote: »
    Definitely the lime green!

    +1 Love the lime green!
  • happimess01happimess01 Member Posts: 7,213 Member Member Posts: 7,213 Member
    Not gonna lie, reading this thread is an eye-opener. It is scary how hard it is to keep getting lean after a certain point.
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,320 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,320 MFP Moderator
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Picture didn’t attach on my original post, here are the four options in photo form. Cerakote all over with black sleeves across the board.

    I like blue.


    I am hanging in there. Just got back from vacation and I am up 5 lbs. Hoping most of it comes off quickly.

    Running a 6 day PPL split that i designed with my injuries in mind. It has a bit more pull volume to ensure I don't get shoulder issues again. This was a recommendation from my PT.

    Back is almost 100%. Slowly adding squat and deadlift back into the equation but only 60% loads and a focus on form.

    Recent back pic
    ukxh86kxyy39.jpg
    edited March 3
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,320 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,320 MFP Moderator
    Not gonna lie, reading this thread is an eye-opener. It is scary how hard it is to keep getting lean after a certain point.

    It is very hard for some of us to get real lean. It gives me a new respect for those who have achieved it
Sign In or Register to comment.