Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I’ve pushed into IF a little harder and so far I’m liking it. Noon to 8:00 eating window, not feeling deprived at all. Getting enough protein is a little harder, though. 198.0 this morning.

Nice! Between that protein issue and lifestyle factors (pre-'rona) were what gave me pause about IF but adherence to a deficit was way easier and after a few days to adjust to the schedule I totally got the appeal. Are you still training first thing in the morning? I always felt like that wasn't ideal but that's not an evidence-based notion.

Mid-morning (until I find a freaking job). I throw a protein bar in my gym bag just in case, but I only had to use it once. I pulled 365 for five sets of one yesterday morning and felt fine.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    I’ve pushed into IF a little harder and so far I’m liking it. Noon to 8:00 eating window, not feeling deprived at all. Getting enough protein is a little harder, though. 198.0 this morning.

Nice! Between that protein issue and lifestyle factors (pre-'rona) were what gave me pause about IF but adherence to a deficit was way easier and after a few days to adjust to the schedule I totally got the appeal. Are you still training first thing in the morning? I always felt like that wasn't ideal but that's not an evidence-based notion.

Mid-morning (until I find a freaking job). I throw a protein bar in my gym bag just in case, but I only had to use it once. I pulled 365 for five sets of one yesterday morning and felt fine.

Fasted training isn't an issue as I do that regardless if I'm doing IF, it was more the post-workout timing and general protein distribution that I was concerned about not being optimal. Training and then having lunch would work out great; iirc that aligns with what Marten recommends with his whole LeanGains deal. My schedule is to finish lifting no later than 8am so that 3-4 hours between lifting and eating just hurts my bro-lifting brain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Taking a diet break this week. Seeing if it helps with some energy issues i have been dealing with.

So a diet break turned into a stomach virus. So much for eating and training this week.
  • quiksylver296

Fasted training isn't an issue as I do that regardless if I'm doing IF, it was more the post-workout timing and general protein distribution that I was concerned about not being optimal. Training and then having lunch would work out great; iirc that aligns with what Marten recommends with his whole LeanGains deal. My schedule is to finish lifting no later than 8am so that 3-4 hours between lifting and eating just hurts my bro-lifting brain.

Yep! Training and then lunch!
  • quiksylver296
    Taking a diet break this week. Seeing if it helps with some energy issues i have been dealing with.

So a diet break turned into a stomach virus. So much for eating and training this week.

Oh, no! Feel better.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I will be cutting soon after my meet in April, already starting to mentally prepare.... sort of excited sort of not.
  • psuLemon

Oh, no! Feel better.

Thank you.
  • steveko89

Do feel better soon.

Just call it a deload the same way I like to refer to eating like a little fat kid as a "refeed"
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member

Do feel better soon.

Just call it a deload the same way I like to refer to eating like a little fat kid as a "refeed"

I thought I was the only one that did something like this. My "waffle+syrup+giant-glass-of-OJ Sunday" has become my "refeed" day.
  • steveko89
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Do feel better soon.

I thought I was the only one that did something like this. My "waffle+syrup+giant-glass-of-OJ Sunday" has become my "refeed" day.

Had a bit of a "refeed" yesterday but down 0.8 on the scale for the lowest single data point in like 3 weeks so who knows.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    146.4 lbs....3/4 more weeks, fingers crossed until the bulk life.

No competitions this year, just going to focus on lean mass and strength building. Am stoked and a little scared. Also wanting all the food right now. Training volume is insane and fatigue is setting in...but on plus side sleeping more and better, so that balances it all out a wee bit.

Missing the gym (lockdown 3 here in the UK), but home gym equipment (proper barbells and weight plates, I have old york set and yoke I am using as a rack, door pull up bar, bands, dumbbells) arriving soon I hope. Still zooming with strong friends and keeping in touch with gym buddies...
  • quiksylver296

I swear, the older I get the worse the water weight swings are. 200.2 this morning, and I’ve certainly been in a calorie deficit. 🤬
  • psuLemon

I swear, the older I get the worse the water weight swings are. 200.2 this morning, and I’ve certainly been in a calorie deficit. 🤬

Ain't that the truth. Hopefully it comes off quickly for you!
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member

So true.. I'm 52, and yesterday even though I'm way under my cals I put on a pound overnight. Although, it did rain last night too, and it feels like my body collects water from the Universe or something and adds it to might weight.

Hell, at my age, I just take my kids to Mc Donald's and not even order anything I put on 2lbs. lol
  • steveko89
    I'm not even that old and my weight data feels like it's been noisy too. 178-176.8-177-177-176.2-175.8-176.8 over the last week, nine of the last ten all within one standard deviation though. Adherence still pretty craptastic and I keep alternating over/under maintenance by the day.
  • psuLemon
    Started to workout yesterday. I am running Jeff Nippards PPL routine from his science explained series. Even though i am still not eating normal and don't have a ton of energy, i did pretty well. So far I like the routine.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Dropped nearly 3lb this week with a very hectic work week,
    currently sitting at 222.2 lb,
  • psuLemon
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I think I've finally hit my bf goal. Skulpt has me at 9.5% which might be a bit low but it's close. I'd appreciate more eyes to confirm. I'm 55 years old, 6'2" tall, sitting at 172lbs. I've been lifting about two years now but an overly aggressive bulk had me cutting for a good fraction of that time and the quarantine put a bit of a damper on that as well. Below is a link to a Google photos album of my "best" poses. Side note, selfie photography and physique posing obviously aren't my strong suit. Lighting is tricky and posing well is surprisingly difficult. Lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMx4Yr8PSb8bknEc6

Note: MFP doesn't like the link, not sure how to correct that. Here's the most representative I suppose. 😬

0tvbobpsba4i.jpg

Great job!!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Started to workout yesterday. I am running Jeff Nippards PPL routine from his science explained series. Even though i am still not eating normal and don't have a ton of energy, i did pretty well. So far I like the routine.

Oh gosh I am so loving Jeff Nippards hypertrophy programmes...I run them two days alongside my main 3 strength training days...my shoulders improved big time, so did my OHP!