How to cut down grocery bill, and still eat healthy?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2018
    spaghetti in clam sauce really really affordable. purdue cooked chicken breast - 3 servings - its only 3.79. very affordable eggs. very tasty millions of ways to fix them...great protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    spaghetti in clam sauce really really affordable. purdue cooked chicken breast - 3 servings - its only 3.79. very affordable eggs. very tasty millions of ways to fix them...great protein.

Ya, we have eggs for dinner about once a week. It's a great meal when time and/or energy is short. Scrambled with onions and peppers and kielbasa, fried with tater tots, frittatas...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    What do people but at Aldi that is cheaper?? Every time I have taken the time to comparison shop, Also might have a few things cheaper, but then other things are way more expensive and it averages out that other stores are cheaper. Perhaps our Aldi's just has higher prices because it is in a food desert while I drive further to Ralph's?
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    I tried Kale and it's stickery :D
  • abbynormal52
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I have a very high grocery bill. I do cook mostly every meal. I like gourmet and I also live in an expensive area. What does help is simplifying meals, so that they use a minimum of ingredients. It is much cheaper to just make a protein, rice and a vegetable than to make a more complex rice dish, which is going to require 10 more ingredients. I buy the big box of oatmeal that lasts me a long time. Pasta is also cheap. Ground beef or sirloin is also cheaper than steak. London Broil is cheap and can make a good stew in the crock pot.

I do that as well instead of using recipes that complicate things like rice, or pretty much anything;)

• MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    What do people but at Aldi that is cheaper?? Every time I have taken the time to comparison shop, Also might have a few things cheaper, but then other things are way more expensive and it averages out that other stores are cheaper. Perhaps our Aldi's just has higher prices because it is in a food desert while I drive further to Ralph's?

Oh gosh, everything lol. Snack foods, breakfast type stuff (oats, syrup, cereal, granola bars etc), coffee, baking supplies (waay cheaper), dairy (1.88 for 12 oz shredded cheese, real butter for $2, gallon of milk for $2 etc), fresh/frozen produce, paper goods, pet food, bakery items, meat/frozen meat, grains/bagged and boxed goods etc etc etc. I love Costco and Daily Deals too, but Aldi has the lowest prices for a complete shopping trip (Costco and Daily Deals I only get a few things at each that are good deals).
  • abbynormal52
    Hmm, had never heard of ALDI but I found this interesting when I did a search: https://marketwatch.com/story/5-reasons-not-to-shop-at-aldi-and-one-big-reason-why-you-should-2017-06-13
  • abbynormal52
    Doubt if my small city will have an ALDI anytime soon, but then again, I am thinking of moving to a more populated area;)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

Oh gosh, everything lol. Snack foods, breakfast type stuff (oats, syrup, cereal, granola bars etc), coffee, baking supplies (waay cheaper), dairy (1.88 for 12 oz shredded cheese, real butter for $2, gallon of milk for $2 etc), fresh/frozen produce, paper goods, pet food, bakery items, meat/frozen meat, grains/bagged and boxed goods etc etc etc. I love Costco and Daily Deals too, but Aldi has the lowest prices for a complete shopping trip (Costco and Daily Deals I only get a few things at each that are good deals).

The produce selection here suuccckkksss. I can't even get decent onions. For some reason the next nearest store doesn't have decent onions, either. They just have these two packs of mammoth onions. Aldi's (here) doesn't carry whole grain wheat, and when I have checked for spices, they didn't have what I wanted either (dried onion and garlic salt, as I recall). The pasta is more expensive than my regular store, as is the milk.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Not where I live, but they have garden spaces to rent for a season, or, some I think are free. I may check it out if I get up the willingness. I have heard a lot gets stolen even though it's in a "secure" area., but I can check. We do have a seasonal Farmer's Market where I am going to be frequenting each Friday. I think it's only one day, have to check that too;)

Fortunately for you Denise, the Farmer's Market might very likely benefit your budget. In these parts I've found that it is sometimes defeatist, having to deal with inflated prices, so buying off the farm directly sometimes is a consideration for me.

Appreciated kshama2001's recommendation for edible gardening, for my sister and I will soon be investing time to start and develop ours, preferring hanging themed gardens Vs taking over spaces in the backyard. We're starting with our vegetable cutaways. Hydroponics first to nurse the roots then transplant and we're going to sprout beans again.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2018
    I bulk prepare meatballs from a family pack of hamburger. They are all baked at once and those we don't have that day are frozen for future meals. Home made ready meals.

I prepared a pork loin roast today. Again, way more than we can eat at a sitting, but the sliced leftovers will also be frozen for future meals.

A roast beef or chicken will produce soup bones and stock for soups and stews later in the week. I consider the soups and stews to be practically "free".

I stopped wasting so many vegetables by buying frozen, stocking the sturdier vegetables, and buying very small quantities very frequently of the rest. That way nothing goes bad. I now peel off cabbage and lettuce leaves from the outside going in, leaving the stalk intact. It lasts better that way.

Sturdy vegetables include onion, cabbage, and carrots. I prefer romaine over other lettuces for the same reason.

[Edited to add] OH! How can I forget potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash? I keep a squash on the counter when I'm in the mood to make my vegetarian curry stew.
  • abbynormal52
    edited April 2018
    Not where I live, but they have garden spaces to rent for a season, or, some I think are free. I may check it out if I get up the willingness. I have heard a lot gets stolen even though it's in a "secure" area., but I can check. We do have a seasonal Farmer's Market where I am going to be frequenting each Friday. I think it's only one day, have to check that too;)

Fortunately for you Denise, the Farmer's Market might very likely benefit your budget. In these parts I've found that it is sometimes defeatist, having to deal with inflated prices, so buying off the farm directly sometimes is a consideration for me.

Appreciated kshama2001's recommendation for edible gardening, for my sister and I will soon be investing time to start and develop ours, preferring hanging themed gardens Vs taking over spaces in the backyard. We're starting with our vegetable cutaways. Hydroponics first to nurse the roots then transplant and we're going to sprout beans again.

I had a dear friend in Texas that bought (I think it was called) a Tower Garden. Might be wrong about the name, but it was set up in her home and she grew lettuce and I can't remember what else. Shoot, even to have fresh lettuce and what ever else I could fit in there, would be worth it. I'll see if I can get a link to one and put it here: Cool here is one, almost identical to hers:)

Just wanted to add that I've heard the Farmers Market is cost-effective, but living alone, I don't know. I need to get a FoodSaver setup for sure. I just buy little bits at a time and shop more often. I think I could do better buying more, and preserving it some way;)

ko02o5a381aw.jpg
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member

The produce selection here suuccckkksss. I can't even get decent onions. For some reason the next nearest store doesn't have decent onions, either. They just have these two packs of mammoth onions. Aldi's (here) doesn't carry whole grain wheat, and when I have checked for spices, they didn't have what I wanted either (dried onion and garlic salt, as I recall). The pasta is more expensive than my regular store, as is the milk.

Aldi near me has beautiful produce (3 kinds of onions in 2&3 lb bags, not mammoth) at 1/3 the price of my nearest Tom Thumb, which is way less than Whole Foods. I’m sorry it’s not the same for you!

OP, I can’t think of anything cheaper & more filling than beans and rice. There’s so much variety in dry beans, they cost ~$1/pound, and they have a really long shelf life. They’re so hearty, a little meat goes a long way with legumes. Also a big fan of eggs, although the price is up sharply the past 2 weeks, it’s still the best deal on fresh protein, and talk about versatile! Whether you buy whole chickens or thighs&drumsticks, save the skin & bones for stock. I use a gallon a week! Pots of herbs are a godsend. More of a convenience than a cost savings, but it’s great to snip just what you need without waste. For meat, you just have to shop the sales and use your freezer. With a little planning, you can definitely eat great (and healthy) on a budget.
  • abbynormal52
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I bulk prepare meatballs from a family pack of hamburger. They are all baked at once and those we don't have that day are frozen for future meals. Home made ready meals.

I prepared a pork loin roast today. Again, way more than we can eat at a sitting, but the sliced leftovers will also be frozen for future meals.

A roast beef or chicken will produce soup bones and stock for soups and stews later in the week. I consider the soups and stews to be practically "free".

I stopped wasting so many vegetables by buying frozen, stocking the sturdier vegetables, and buying very small quantities very frequently of the rest. That way nothing goes bad. I now peel off cabbage and lettuce leaves from the outside going in, leaving the stalk intact. It lasts better that way.

Sturdy vegetables include onion, cabbage, and carrots. I prefer romaine over other lettuces for the same reason.

[Edited to add] OH! How can I forget potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash? I keep a squash on the counter when I'm in the mood to make my vegetarian curry stew.

I need to do this, I mentioned it in another reply;) I've only played with the idea of getting something like a FoodSaver to vacuum pack things with. I really need to get one, if I'm smart;)

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Consider a shopping/recipe app which figures out the cost per serving of your common meals. It took me a while of saving receipts and adding information to get it to be useful, but when I did it was very helpful.

Where to get the best deals depends on your location and what you like to eat. I buy chicken thighs in bulk at Costco and freeze what I can't use, and cook a large pork loin at the beginning of the week, eat it over several meals, slice and freeze what I can't use for adding to stir fry. Olive oil also comes from Costco, in bulk. Fish comes from an Asian market which has less expensive, uncommonly used by Americans, types of fish. Fresh veg from the same market, best prices there. Breakfast every day is cottage cheese, steel cut oats with frozen berries and apples, made with milk - very filling and not expensive. I spend money to get best quality on things I care about but eat rarely, such as steak and bread.

Eggs, tuna, legumes, ground turkey, and cottage cheese are all cheap protein sources. Ground turkey / black bean chili is cheap and good!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I use ziplock and squeeze the air out.

Sauces, dips and stocks are frozen in the ice cube tray first.

As for vertical farming I can do you one better. This is an open source instruction manual to build your own (cheaply).

http://www.windowfarms.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Version-3.0-DIY-Instruction-Book.pdf
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    for me:
    i plan my weekly meals around what protein is on sale; i do lots of carbs - so things lie rice; barley; potatos etc are cheap (sweet potates were .99c at the store this week; barley is like 1.50 a bag) - between those 2 things i can make lunch for a week on about $2.50
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I struggle with this too because I don't eat super cheap things. If I eat yogurt, it's FAGE and I eat a whole medium tub at once. I can eat that every day. I love Halo Top. I probably do about 600 per month or more just for myself.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I struggle with this too because I don't eat super cheap things. If I eat yogurt, it's FAGE and I eat a whole medium tub at once. I can eat that every day. I love Halo Top. I probably do about 600 per month or more just for myself.

I was at Daily Deals yesterday (an overstock/close to expiration date kind of store), and they had HT for $1.50 a container-I about died LOL. The dates were good on it so needless to say-I now have about 2o of them stuffed into my freezer :D