How to cut down grocery bill, and still eat healthy?

Replies

• abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Consider a shopping/recipe app which figures out the cost per serving of your common meals. It took me a while of saving receipts and adding information to get it to be useful, but when I did it was very helpful.

Where to get the best deals depends on your location and what you like to eat. I buy chicken thighs in bulk at Costco and freeze what I can't use, and cook a large pork loin at the beginning of the week, eat it over several meals, slice and freeze what I can't use for adding to stir fry. Olive oil also comes from Costco, in bulk. Fish comes from an Asian market which has less expensive, uncommonly used by Americans, types of fish. Fresh veg from the same market, best prices there. Breakfast every day is cottage cheese, steel cut oats with frozen berries and apples, made with milk - very filling and not expensive. I spend money to get best quality on things I care about but eat rarely, such as steak and bread.

Eggs, tuna, legumes, ground turkey, and cottage cheese are all cheap protein sources. Ground turkey / black bean chili is cheap and good!

The app is a great idea, and this month, I've saved all my receipts so I can see how much I spent. I have android so Google PlayStore will probably have an app I can try out;)

I love my steel cut oats. I finally tried them about a year ago now. I like mine with raisins, blueberries, br. sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon;). I buy them in the bulk section of our health-food Market.

Funny how little "local" products they have though. I live in the far North of California, and really isolated from things. We at least have a Safeway, Grocery Outlet (love GO the best but they are hit and miss with product) Walmart (it'll due when you don't have a lot of choice), and then our fresh, fish market.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I struggle with this too because I don't eat super cheap things. If I eat yogurt, it's FAGE and I eat a whole medium tub at once. I can eat that every day. I love Halo Top. I probably do about 600 per month or more just for myself.

I was at Daily Deals yesterday (an overstock/close to expiration date kind of store), and they had HT for $1.50 a container-I about died LOL. The dates were good on it so needless to say-I now have about 2o of them stuffed into my freezer :D

lol that is amazing. 1.50??
  • abbynormal52
    I struggle with this too because I don't eat super cheap things. If I eat yogurt, it's FAGE and I eat a whole medium tub at once. I can eat that every day. I love Halo Top. I probably do about 600 per month or more just for myself.

That's a lot, way more than I would have to spend. But I do tend to buy the best product I "can" afford;) Living alone I can do that, but if I had a family to feed, well, I don't know how some folks can even feed their families in America.

• abbynormal52
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I use ziplock and squeeze the air out.

Sauces, dips and stocks are frozen in the ice cube tray first.

As for vertical farming I can do you one better. This is an open source instruction manual to build your own (cheaply).

http://www.windowfarms.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Version-3.0-DIY-Instruction-Book.pdf

That's what I do now. I buy the best bags I can find, which happen to be Ziplock Freezer;) They work, but I don't buy enough to see how long they would actually last.

Building my own Tower Garden, hmm, I'll take a look. I've probably got all the tools I need;)
  • abbynormal52
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I use ziplock and squeeze the air out.

Here's a neat trick I started doing for the past 2 weeks, as a lot of our things are still in storage in SD. Works rather well, even with meats using a Ziploc or Freezer bag.

https://youtu.be/XrZPLF0ezw8

This is awesome!! I can do this, a LOT cheaper than buying a FoodSaver, plus save the space in my small kitchen! Thanks soooooooooo much Gemma!! Denise

• bbell1985

That's a lot, way more than I would have to spend. But I do tend to buy the best product I "can" afford;) Living alone I can do that, but if I had a family to feed, well, I don't know how some folks can even feed their families in America.

Yeah I'm broke. I am living off my savings for groceries. I live in NYC.
  • abbynormal52
    for me:
    i plan my weekly meals around what protein is on sale; i do lots of carbs - so things lie rice; barley; potatos etc are cheap (sweet potates were .99c at the store this week; barley is like 1.50 a bag) - between those 2 things i can make lunch for a week on about $2.50

There are so many foods I've yet to try. Thanks for the reply Deanna, this is kind of how I shop, I just need to spend a little more time planning;)

• MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member

I was at Daily Deals yesterday (an overstock/close to expiration date kind of store), and they had HT for $1.50 a container-I about died LOL. The dates were good on it so needless to say-I now have about 2o of them stuffed into my freezer :D

Yes! It's $6 at the regular store so it was a crazy deal, must have been an overstock situation? Only two flavors, red velvet and then the chocolate almond, but I like both so loaded up on both.
  • abbynormal52

Yes! It's $6 at the regular store so it was a crazy deal, must have been an overstock situation? Only two flavors, red velvet and then the chocolate almond, but I like both so loaded up on both.

I looked up Halo Top as I never heard of it, Ice Cream;) Have to try some if I can ever find any around here;)

• MerryMavis1

I've fed a family of 5 on as little as $50 a week when things were really tight. Lots of pre-planning and doing simple meals. As my grocery budget has gone up I've gotten more lazy with menu planning, using up leftovers, baking etc. I really should work on these things again, they save so much money!
  • bbell1985

Yeah it's closer to 7 here. I really don't like that chocolate almond though. I'd eat it for 1.50.
  • abbynormal52

I've fed a family of 5 on as little as $50 a week when things were really tight. Lots of pre-planning and doing simple meals. As my grocery budget has gone up I've gotten more lazy with menu planning, using up leftovers, baking etc. I really should work on these things again, they save so much money!

Have you used coupons much? I wonder if people really save a lot doing that. I have used one or two, but rarely in my whole life. People also get so impatient in grocery lines, I can't help but think it may not be worth it. But, feeding a family would be a whole, different thing and I commend you for doing so well at it.

I don't know what kind of wife, or mother I would have been nowadays, but especially don't know how I would have manage being born a century earlier!!

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    edited April 2018
    I save money on food by scanning the weekly supermarket ads for sales and buy fresh produce that I need at the cheapest price a week at a time.

I buy meat/seafood in bulk and use a Foodsaver to freeze it. The lastest meat purchase was 5# of chicken thighs for 69 cents/#. Lastest seafood deal was 6# of fresh salmon fillets for just $4/#. Typical price for salmon is $8-10/#.

Meat sealed by the Foodsaver will last for months and months. Just defrosted 4# of pork belly that I bought in Nov 2017 and it looks the same as the day I bought it.

I also buy dry, canned or bottled goods in bulk where ever I can find them for the cheapest price. Last best buy was 24 cans of Progresso lentil and split pea soup (12@) for just 88 cents/can. A can of these typically sells for $2/can.

Use coupons when I see/find them for things I want/need to buy.

BTW, I live alone and my frig/freezer and cupboards are always full. ;)
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    I don't think I'll be adding anything new here, but Aldi and Lidl are very good for meat and veg at decent prices. I love fruit - particularly berries, but it was costing me a fortune buying them fresh as I eat them every day. Buying them frozen has saved me so much money - I got 1kg of mixed berries from Aldi at the weekend for £2, whereas a punnet of strawberries (400g) can be anywhere between £2.50-£4. I actually picked that tip up from the BBC programme 'how to eat well for less'.

I also cook in bulk occasionally and portion it out - my partner doesn't eat anything I eat so I either have the same thing for a couple of days or freeze them for a quick meal at a later date. Bulking food out with beans and veg makes meals go further and adds some much needed fibre :)
  • MerryMavis1

Have you used coupons much? I wonder if people really save a lot doing that. I have used one or two, but rarely in my whole life. People also get so impatient in grocery lines, I can't help but think it may not be worth it. But, feeding a family would be a whole, different thing and I commend you for doing so well at it.

I don't know what kind of wife, or mother I would have been nowadays, but especially don't know how I would have manage being born a century earlier!!

I used clip coupons back in the day, but Aldi/Daily Deals don't do coupons, Costco does instant ones and then the two local grocery chains by me now have customer loyalty programs where you get instant coupons when you swipe your rewards cards. So I'll get discounts that way but it's not really intentional anymore.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    The thing that is so subjective in posts like these, is what one deems 'a lot of money'.

When it's just my son and I, which it is most of the time, I spend (give or take) $75 a week. We eat mostly fruits, veg, and meat (generally chicken but will pick up others if its on sale). When my fiance is home, add another $40 to it, mainly because I cook more 'complicated' meals and bake when hes home.

There is no Aldi's in my area, but where i moved from there was, and I loved it, primarily for the spices, produce and snack type foods and baking supplies. Milk, butter and eggs were also significantly cheaper. Was never a huge fan of their meat and the only canned goods I regularly buy are canned tomatoes (which I did get there but were price wise on par with walmart most of the time). I will still stop at Aldis when I'm down that way, but it isnt often.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2018
    Meal planning is a good idea if you have a tight budget or want to lower costs.
    Low budget friendly foods where I live are oatmeal, tuna, whole chicken or chicken thighs, dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, bread, peanut butter, eggs, potatoes, carrots, apples, ground turkey, cabbage, onions, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables

Soup can be very economical, freezes and reheats well.
    Buy things whole and skin, shred, bone, cut them up yourself.
    Buy store brand/generic when you can.
    Buy produce in season or grown locally.
    Look at what is on sale when making your shopping list.
    Use meat cut up and put in a mixed dish instead of a large piece of meat alone.

A slow cooker can be useful.
    http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/

Low budget menu planning and recipes:
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm
    http://www.budgetbytes.com
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/03/35-meatless-meals.html
    http://www.meatlessmonday.com/favorite-recipes/
    http://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/recipes/

Some MFP threads you may find useful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10518784/healthy-food-choice-on-a-budget/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500423/costing-a-lot-more-money-to-eat-healthier/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490067/most-healthy-food-options-are-very-expensive-and-im-on-a-very-poor-budget-what-to-do/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10020804/looking-for-vegetarian-recipes#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10614805/need-quick-cheap-nutritious-food#latest
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Good ole rice and beans if you want to be cheap. Good mix of carb and protein. Can put some spinach in there for greens.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Hmm, had never heard of ALDI but I found this interesting when I did a search: https://marketwatch.com/story/5-reasons-not-to-shop-at-aldi-and-one-big-reason-why-you-should-2017-06-13

"Shoppers should be aware of a few ground rules: Customers need to bring a quarter if they want to use a shopping cart: They deposit the coin and get it back when they return their cart. Customers bag their own groceries: Bags are available for purchase at checkout or shoppers can use old boxes for free)."

Ha ha welcome to every food store in England. I don't think I have ever had anyone pack my bag for me. I'm not sure I would want someone else packing my food.

I have to admit, I started shopping in Aldi 3 weeks ago and I haven't gone to any other store. I like the fact that there isn't 12 brands of coffee to chose from. Not only have I saved money, I've save time not having to chose. Want bread?, here's bread. Want eggs, here's eggs.
    But back to the OP I was going to say have you considered changing where you shop first? Or using own brands instead of branded foods. I'm pretty sure own branded cola is about £1.50 cheaper than Coca-Cola over here.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    DamieAnne wrote: »
    I don't think I'll be adding anything new here, but Aldi and Lidl are very good for meat and veg at decent prices. I love fruit - particularly berries, but it was costing me a fortune buying them fresh as I eat them every day. Buying them frozen has saved me so much money - I got 1kg of mixed berries from Aldi at the weekend for £2, whereas a punnet of strawberries (400g) can be anywhere between £2.50-£4. I actually picked that tip up from the BBC programme 'how to eat well for less'.

I also cook in bulk occasionally and portion it out - my partner doesn't eat anything I eat so I either have the same thing for a couple of days or freeze them for a quick meal at a later date. Bulking food out with beans and veg makes meals go further and adds some much needed fibre :)

I LOVE THAT SHOW! That is why I started shopping in Aldi. To be honest my DH hasn't noticed I'm not buying branded things. I actually got a double thumbs up the other day for the burgers I made. He doesn't have a clue I saved £20 on the weekly shop this week.