How to cut down grocery bill, and still eat healthy?

Options

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I buy a huge things of spring salad mix. Feeds my boyfriend and I for 4 lunches each. That is $1.99 at Kroger.
    We add in some veggies and then go to the meat counter and have them give us chicken from there (its cheaper than the pre-packaged chicken as they aren't weight it with the container). We got 5 lbs of chicken for $11.
    Basically lunch for the two of us a week is :

Chicken: $7
    Salad Mix: $2
    Cucumbers: $1
    Onions: $1
    Dressing: $1.5 (the bottle lasts about 2 weeks)
    Tortilla Strips: $1.50
    Tomatoes: $1
    Cheese: $2

Lunch Total: $8.50 per person a week.

Snacks:
    2 Packs of Celery: $4
    Sour Cream: $3
    Dip Mix: $3
    (we don't like the same dip mix)

2 Packages Beef Jerky: $6
    Laughing Cow Cheese Dippers: $2.50

Snack Total: $9.25 per person.
  • boehle
    Options
    Breakfast varies weekly (and I forgot some of these go in our salads) and you can make these in so many variances

2 18 count eggs: $5
    Bacon for me: $2.50
    Turkey sausage for him: $3.50

Breakfast Total: $5.50 per person.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just found several brand names and was about to ask if anyone uses any of the ones below, as some are less expensive, but after your post, I'm definitely leaning toward a Foodsaver. I think my sister mentioned being able to buy the "cut to fit" rolls in another brand name and they work great for her, and cost a bit less?? Anyway, I'll put the link here, just to get feedback if anyone uses any of these. I'd be sealing a lot of individual things, not sealing a lot of bulk. Something else I don't know is about freezing cooked items, soups, meats??

Here's the link to a few other sealers in other brands, and also, size:
    https://amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kitchen-Dining-Vacuum-Sealers/zgbs/kitchen/1090768

I do know "sometimes" you still get what you pay for, but I've found, not always;) I'm not sounded too cheap here I hope, just want to make a good decision, the best I can anyway;)
  • abbynormal52
    Options

boehle wrote: »
    Breakfast varies weekly (and I forgot some of these go in our salads) and you can make these in so many variances

You are so organized as well boehle! From your photo I'm thinking you are very young and when I was young, I didn't know how to shop at all;) Looks like you two do very well at getting your "fuel"! I love salads as well, and love the Spring Mix. I've bought the large containers, but didn't finish it up fast enough, so now I've just been buying by the bag, which is about 3 days of salad, or I think 5 helpings when I divide it into "serving size" containers;)
  • boehle
    Options

You are so organized as well boehle! From your photo I'm thinking you are very young and when I was young, I didn't know how to shop at all;) Looks like you two do very well at getting your "fuel"! I love salads as well, and love the Spring Mix. I've bought the large containers, but didn't finish it up fast enough, so now I've just been buying by the bag, which is about 3 days of salad, or I think 5 helpings when I divide it into "serving size" containers;)

Thank you! (I am 36 so not so young LOL)
    I used to do the bag mixes and got so tired of them.. and it actually came out cheaper to get the big container as I bag mixes are about $1.49 and we are getting triple for the big container.
    The big containers from Walmart last usually about 2 weeks if we dont finish it, then we end up buying a smaller one to mix them to finish them both up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I struggle with this too because I don't eat super cheap things. If I eat yogurt, it's FAGE and I eat a whole medium tub at once. I can eat that every day. I love Halo Top. I probably do about 600 per month or more just for myself.

The first time I read this I thought you meant you do 600 Halo Tops per month :lol:
  • abbynormal52
    Options

Thank you! (I am 36 so not so young LOL)
    I used to do the bag mixes and got so tired of them.. and it actually came out cheaper to get the big container as I bag mixes are about $1.49 and we are getting triple for the big container.
    The big containers from Walmart last usually about 2 weeks if we dont finish it, then we end up buying a smaller one to mix them to finish them both up.

Sounds good, I will probably try buying the large as it is cheaper that way. Our large are 5 bucks, and if I eat more salads, I can probably get it all eatin before it gets limp;) or slimey. The bags I buy at Walmart are 2.48 but everything here in CA is more expensive I think;)

It's still good you know how to do these things early on:) I sure would have made a better wife, but then I would have also wanted a better husband, LOL! No regrets, just lessons he and I both learned;)

• abbynormal52
    Options
    I'm doing my body-weight workout between posts!! This is making it go fast, LOL;)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've only skimmed the thread, but one thing I don't think I've seen mentioned: I shop primarily at Dillons (which is Kroger in other parts of the country). To get the best prices there you have to have their loyalty card (which is free and also gives you a discount at local gas stations). They also have an app which allows me to download specific coupons I want to use directly to the card so that I don't have to mess around with them in line. And they'll send me additional coupons a few times a month in the mail. Look into what your preferred stores offer.

And get to know your local store's discount preferences. Sometimes they put meat from the counter on discount after 8pm or markdown rotisserie chickens if they have too many late in the evening. Mine restocks their weird "dented cans, almost past its date, we found this thing in the back we want to get rid of" nook around 10 am on Saturdays. I like to shop around those times to get some random deals.
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    great and appreciated info Dianne. Reminded me of Fred Meyer I can shop at up the coast 23 miles, plus get my gas there. I do have their card for savings. I'll look into that today for the coupon thing. It's in Oregon too, one reason I drive to save about 50 or more cents a gallon on gas! Probably better prices on groceries, well, I'm sure better prices;) Thanks again!!
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    Ok, here's a pic of Ground Turkey I froze 2 days ago in a ziplock (brand, ziplock) and squeezed as much air out of it as possible:( I am going shopping for a Foodsaver;) PS the white is all ice, or frost I should say:(

sufa2kbay6yy.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    The thing that is so subjective in posts like these, is what one deems 'a lot of money'.

When it's just my son and I, which it is most of the time, I spend (give or take) $75 a week. We eat mostly fruits, veg, and meat (generally chicken but will pick up others if its on sale). When my fiance is home, add another $40 to it, mainly because I cook more 'complicated' meals and bake when hes home.

There is no Aldi's in my area, but where i moved from there was, and I loved it, primarily for the spices, produce and snack type foods and baking supplies. Milk, butter and eggs were also significantly cheaper. Was never a huge fan of their meat and the only canned goods I regularly buy are canned tomatoes (which I did get there but were price wise on par with walmart most of the time). I will still stop at Aldis when I'm down that way, but it isnt often.

You are organized, and to me, that is more than half the battle. It's how we use what we buy as well, especially in things that we can either freeze and use later, or make a big pot of whatever, that will be good for leftovers.

I remember one of my friends saying "my husband won't eat leftovers" (I think it was a husband, or maybe kids) and my thought was, I'm cookin, you'll eat what is fixed. Of course some things have changed since I was being raised by my mom on her own ;)

my fiance will eat what i put in front of him. Im the one who wont eat leftovers (or very rarely do). sometimes for lunch the next day, if i REALLY liked what i made (and feel like eating it again lol). Paul is one of those who can make a big pot of chili or spaghetti and eat it all week. not me. nope. not gonna happen. lolol
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of chilli from time to time. 500gm beef mince, 2x can kidney/chilli beans, diced flavoured tomatoes then bulk it up with anything you prefer thats low calories. Usually the 3 above ingredients with some spices are enough for me. Makes about 6 servings, versatile and come in about 350cal a serving plus its cheap!
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    The thing that is so subjective in posts like these, is what one deems 'a lot of money'.

When it's just my son and I, which it is most of the time, I spend (give or take) $75 a week. We eat mostly fruits, veg, and meat (generally chicken but will pick up others if its on sale). When my fiance is home, add another $40 to it, mainly because I cook more 'complicated' meals and bake when hes home.

There is no Aldi's in my area, but where i moved from there was, and I loved it, primarily for the spices, produce and snack type foods and baking supplies. Milk, butter and eggs were also significantly cheaper. Was never a huge fan of their meat and the only canned goods I regularly buy are canned tomatoes (which I did get there but were price wise on par with walmart most of the time). I will still stop at Aldis when I'm down that way, but it isnt often.

You are organized, and to me, that is more than half the battle. It's how we use what we buy as well, especially in things that we can either freeze and use later, or make a big pot of whatever, that will be good for leftovers.

I remember one of my friends saying "my husband won't eat leftovers" (I think it was a husband, or maybe kids) and my thought was, I'm cookin, you'll eat what is fixed. Of course some things have changed since I was being raised by my mom on her own ;)

my fiance will eat what i put in front of him. Im the one who wont eat leftovers (or very rarely do). sometimes for lunch the next day, if i REALLY liked what i made (and feel like eating it again lol). Paul is one of those who can make a big pot of chili or spaghetti and eat it all week. not me. nope. not gonna happen. lolol

I could only eat something "all week" if I had nothing else. I'm definitely spoiled;) Some guys are so easily pleased by what we cook, I like that kinda guy;)

• abbynormal52
    Options
    BWA468 wrote: »
    I make a big batch of chilli from time to time. 500gm beef mince, 2x can kidney/chilli beans, diced flavoured tomatoes then bulk it up with anything you prefer thats low calories. Usually the 3 above ingredients with some spices are enough for me. Makes about 6 servings, versatile and come in about 350cal a serving plus its cheap!

Ok, you're making me hungry now, LOL!! I had to do a protein shake after my exercise, and I can't wait for dinner :D Yum, Chili, haven't had that for awhile. I may try to follow your recipe, sounds really good (where's that drooling smiley when I need it) :#

• abbynormal52
    Options
    Ok, here's a pic of Ground Turkey I froze 2 days ago in a ziplock (brand, ziplock) and squeezed as much air out of it as possible:( I am going shopping for a Foodsaver;) PS the white is all ice, or frost I should say:(

sufa2kbay6yy.jpg

I forgot to point out here that I froze that "before" I learned about the "hot water" sealing method. I did try that but I must have done something wrong because it didn't seal up as tight as in the video;)

I think for me it's going to be easier to have a machine suck out the air so FoodSaver, here I come;)
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    I'll figure things out and do what I think will work for me. I do like storing a lot of my dry-goods in Jars as well. I had some nice, large ones given to me like new. So after that, I starting getting different sizes here and there. Now I have about 10 or so:)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pro tip: sterilize jars in dishwasher.
  • abbynormal52
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have to say, as another single person, it seems like the most efficient way to save money isn't with a hundred dollar appliance that requires you to keep buying bags for it.

I freeze things in jars: either mason jars or glass peanut butter jars that I've washed out. Works really well. I don't eat meat any more, but when I did I browned things like ground hamburger or ground turkey in advance with a little onion and sometimes green pepper. Then it was ready to go when I wanted it. I also pre-made patties with the raw meats and stored them in a ziploc bag separated by waxed paper. They were fine as long as I didn't forget them for months.

Cooking a bunch of beans is going to be WAY cheaper per pound than any other protein, and beans freeze beautifully. Just spoon them into a jar, then pour in the liquid you cooked the beans in to cover and freeze. No freezer burn, just remember to allow some room at the top.

Soups, chilis, and stews all freeze well without having to be vacuum sealed, and then you have individual portions of very healthy food ready to go and you don't have to eat the same thing all the time.

As we're going into summer, I switch up salads by using cabbage instead of or half and half with lettuce: it's cheaper, adds a nice crunch, stays good in the fridge longer, and is amazing especially with asian dressings. I buy the little personal watermelons when they're on sale and cut them up right away which works out to a great price per lb for fruit. I also eat a lot of bananas and apples and have found a store near me that ALWAYS has some variety of apple on sale. If you follow the sale ads in your area for two months, you'll probably find that the sales cycle so you can predict when certain things are likely to go on sale and buy accordingly.

Also, as long as you're eating healthfully, there's no reason to get locked into conventional "lunch" and "dinner" options, especially when you have no one to please but yourself. "Breakfast for dinner" is great and cheap. Roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes, topped with chili or beans and salsa, make a great, super inexpensive meal.

I am guilty of not reading this post better, and I was toast when I saw it Nick's sweetie. I just skimmed it, so I apologize because when I just read it again this a.m. There is so much good in this. I would have to make sure the jars seal well still. But I'm going to try freezing just one thing in a jar. I'd never heard of "freezing in a jar". I love the idea of just pulling something out to thaw, and also, making a large batch. My freezer is pretty, large capacity for one person.

I so believe in non-conventional meals, although I haven't gone there yet since I've started up "counting" my cals again. Especially love eggs, french-toast, waffles for dinner. I learned to make my waffles with a bit of protein powder, nuts, berries, and I do my pancakes that way too.

So I'm going to try it, and look up how long foods can last in a jar;) Just wanted to thank you for the education/ideas with freezing meals, or meat cuts like my thighs I love, and chicken tenders. Those chicken tenders I buy in a big bag always end up with frost all over them, so I need to get them out of that cheapo depot bag and put them in something more air-tight;)

Denise