Let’s talk KETO!

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Options
    vickarye wrote: »
    Most of what i have read say you should see reaults in the first week of keto but aside from feeling crappy for a few days and peeing alot i have not lost any weight or noticed any thing different . any thoughts

What do your calories look like? Most see "results" the first week because they deplete glycogen and lose a good bit of water weight.

Ultimately, if your calories are in check, then wait a few weeks, especially if it's around the TOM, you just started working out, or other natural factors that impact weight.
  • vickarye
    vickarye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have stayed right about 1000 calories a day i havent gone over 35 carbs a day i drink lots of water . im on my feet about 10 hours a day but i havent gottwn back in the gym yet
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have stayed right about 1000 calories a day i havent gone over 35 carbs a day i drink lots of water . im on my feet about 10 hours a day but i havent gottwn back in the gym yet

Why so little calories? Also, what are your stats?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

If you are eating that low, and that is too low for most people to healthfully maintain, you are losing fat. It could just be that the scale is not reflecting it yet.

It could be partially due to water intake and salt. If you are drinking a lot, that can appear as weight on the scale. And if you adequately replaced your sodium, you won't lose extra water weight... but it's just water so it doesn't matter to fat loss.

Keep going. Perhaps add a few more calories, but keep going and you will see the scale move.

And again, if you are feeling crappy, that's low electrolytes. You still need more sodium. Up to two or more teaspoons of salt a day.
  • vickarye
    vickarye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well i work 10 or 12 hours a day and dont have time to eat often im working on trying to make things i can take and eat through the day but i need a day off to do that . and im still learning what i can and cant eat on keto . i am a bread person. So most of my calories before came from carbs
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well i work 10 or 12 hours a day and dont have time to eat often im working on trying to make things i can take and eat through the day but i need a day off to do that . and im still learning what i can and cant eat on keto . i am a bread person. So most of my calories before came from carbs

The biggest limitation is only carbs, but you can snack on nuts, low gi fruits, veggies, jerkys, etc.. the biggest thing is getting adequate calories and protein to support a healthy body. Severe caloric restriction can be counter productive as it will increase muscle loss and could lower your metabolic rate.

If that can't be done on keto, you should evaluate why you are on keto.
  • nvmomketo
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Other easy Keto foods are hard boiled eggs, pepperoni sticks, slices of cheese, olives, cans of fish or muscles, seeds ( make your own trail mix with nuts, seeds, coconut, and some sugar free chocolate chips), an avocado and a spoon, or leftovers - just make a double or triple serving.

And steal some packets of salt from a cafeteria and then you have it ready to treat your electrolyte imbalance. ;)

Have you looked up soul bread or Keto bread? My middle son loves it toasted or with grilled cheese sandwiches. The main Ingredients include cream cheese, butter, olive oil, and plain whey isolate protein powder. No flour at all.
  • lissetmba
    lissetmba Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At end of week 2... hit a plateau and hope this means my body is figuring out how to become fat adapted. Still going strong! I even had to travel for business this week to New Orleans.... that was super hard!!!!! I was very good... no sweets, but I suspect some of the sauces were not keto friendly.... I had them in tight moderation. Hope that didn't kick me off ketosis. Will be checking later today. But, hey only 1lb lost while in New Orleans all week? I'm calling that a win!!! Lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    lissetmba wrote: »
    At end of week 2... hit a plateau and hope this means my body is figuring out how to become fat adapted. Still going strong! I even had to travel for business this week to New Orleans.... that was super hard!!!!! I was very good... no sweets, but I suspect some of the sauces were not keto friendly.... I had them in tight moderation. Hope that didn't kick me off ketosis. Will be checking later today. But, hey only 1lb lost while in New Orleans all week? I'm calling that a win!!! Lol

Plateaus are measured in weeks, not days. You are probably glycogen depleted, which now you will go back to the standard 1-2 lbs per week.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Not for me. I was forced to go semi-keto on a vacation where I could not get many carbs. Nearly three weeks of feeling miserable, always hungry, too low on energy to fully enjoy sightseeing and walking up higher points. It's not for everyone. Everyone's digestive system works slightly different and pulls energy out of food slightly differently. I stick with about 60-70% carbs.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in a matter of months doing keto about 3 years ago. Now I'm back at it so I can lose weight for my wedding next fall. So far so good. Tho I did get smacked in the face with the keto breath this morning, which I forgot about until the 2nd time I brushed my teeth and then I remembered. So far I don't feel too bad, but I'm only on day 2. Looking forward to the Keto Flu :D
  • elliehuggs
    elliehuggs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie. 3 days in and I feel terrible... nauseous, dizzy, lethargic. I'm trying to get passed it, but this feels horrible right now.

How are you now? Has it become easier?
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm ending Day 4 of Keto and yesterday I made the disastrous mistake of not taking in enough sodium. I literally thought my head would explode and couldn't think. A swig of pickle juice calmed that down. But I did not make that mistake again and will never. I put salt in my keto coffee, had pepperoni and will be salting up my steak tonight. I'm at 2500 sodium and want to get to 3000 before i'm done eating.

I did overdo it with the MCT oil today... but for those of you who know what I mean, I feel very light and fluffy right now like I could float to the moon. Glad I work from home... =)

I hope the people on this thread are on other threads because this is the first thread about Keto that wasn't infiltrated by jerks.

BTW, I am a newbie too, but 35g of carbs seems like an extreme amount to me. I'm on a 75%/20%/5% Fat/Protein/Carb macro goal.

This^^

I have been strictly no more than 5%. I feel great. Most energy I have had in years. I have been eating Keto for 8 weeks now. I did not experience Keto flu. Normally I am having no more than 15-20 grams at 2000 calories per day maximum. I also do not count “net carbs” only actual carbs.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you cut carbs your insulin falls and you will lose water and electrolytes. There is not really a way to transition into that. It is often best just to eat adequate sodium instead.

Nonsense. If you cut carbs over a period of time instead of all at once you will transition. It is absurd to advocate shocking a body this way.

I did not adovocate to shock the body. I said to eat enough sodium/salt so that you don't get low electrolytes at all.

Why "ease into" low electrolytes when you can avoid low electrolytes altogether? Eat salt.

Now if someone wants to ease into a keto WOE, by slowly lowering carbs, in order to get used to eating that way, that's a whole other situation. But the body does not need dietary carbs and is generally not "shocked" when it carb intake is quickly reduced.

Easing into it instead of going regular diet maintenance to deficit keto from one day to the other is a good idea for the same reason you take the stairs instead of jumping out the window.
  • nvmomketo
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you cut carbs your insulin falls and you will lose water and electrolytes. There is not really a way to transition into that. It is often best just to eat adequate sodium instead.

Nonsense. If you cut carbs over a period of time instead of all at once you will transition. It is absurd to advocate shocking a body this way.

I did not adovocate to shock the body. I said to eat enough sodium/salt so that you don't get low electrolytes at all.

Why "ease into" low electrolytes when you can avoid low electrolytes altogether? Eat salt.

Now if someone wants to ease into a keto WOE, by slowly lowering carbs, in order to get used to eating that way, that's a whole other situation. But the body does not need dietary carbs and is generally not "shocked" when it carb intake is quickly reduced.

Easing into it instead of going regular diet maintenance to deficit keto from one day to the other is a good idea for the same reason you take the stairs instead of jumping out the window.

Changing your diet quickly is like jumping out of a window?

As I said, easing into a keto woe in order to get used to it is fine, but not needed. Some people do better jumping in all at once. Others do better going slow. IMO

I lowered my carbs for about 2 weeks before going keto. I immediately cut the added sugars, then started cutting starchy and natural sugars. I got down to around 100-150g of carbs, which was probably a large reduction for me (wasn't logging), and then jumped down to 20g.

I do see the benefit of easing into a new diet if it helps you adjust better, but only if it helps you. My mother just jumped right in, and her 75 year old body did very well, better than I did, because she knew to increase her electrolytes immediately. No "keto flu" for her.

That's why the idea of easing into a woe was brought into this thread - to address electrolyte imbalance - but it doesn't help much. IMO
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    LollyInBR wrote: »
    Recommendations for reliable Keto websites so I can research whether I want to do this? Any help appreciated.

Best bet is to find where articles are cited from and find the original. The further long an article has been cited, the more likely its less accurate. Some people just google stuff and that’s not always credible. I have access to a university library online so I can read studies as well as do my own. If you have anyone who can lend you there access that’s a good way too! Sorry I can’t give an actual website I don’t research them!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Changing your diet quickly is like jumping out of a window?

As I said, easing into a keto woe in order to get used to it is fine, but not needed. Some people do better jumping in all at once. Others do better going slow. IMO

I lowered my carbs for about 2 weeks before going keto. I immediately cut the added sugars, then started cutting starchy and natural sugars. I got down to around 100-150g of carbs, which was probably a large reduction for me (wasn't logging), and then jumped down to 20g.

I do see the benefit of easing into a new diet if it helps you adjust better, but only if it helps you. My mother just jumped right in, and her 75 year old body did very well, better than I did, because she knew to increase her electrolytes immediately. No "keto flu" for her.

That's why the idea of easing into a woe was brought into this thread - to address electrolyte imbalance - but it doesn't help much. IMO

It certainly can be like jumping out a window if the change is big enough.
  • lissetmba
    lissetmba Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    elliehuggs wrote: »
    I'm a newbie. 3 days in and I feel terrible... nauseous, dizzy, lethargic. I'm trying to get passed it, but this feels horrible right now.

How are you now? Has it become easier?

Yes! Week 3 and doing great! Had to travel in week 2 and doing keto was tougher on the road so only lost 1 lb that week. But this week lost 5 so far!! Total 11 lbs gone in 3 weeks! Working out everyday. Clothes feel looser, more energy... It's awesome so far!!