May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our crazy group of runners, @Ericjayh, @bradcharlessimmons and @gmiller725!
    @amymoreorless - I am so sorry about your back! Take care of yourself! Hope you are able to run again soon!

I have been running in the same brand/model of shoes for 3 years now. Even when the company looked like it might go under there was a whole bunch of runners on FB selling and trading the shoes and finding out of the way places to order them (Dubai). I also keep trying other brands to see if I can find another that fits me as well and doesn't end up causing issues. I added in a pair of Kinvaras not too long ago for easy run days but compared to my Skoras they feel so heavy and they have rubbed a painful callus on the side of my toe :( Now I a trying to decide if I want to spend (waste) good money on trying something else or just go order another pair of what I know works. Now that Skora is back in business there is no longer any issue getting the shoes again...but I could also get a pair of Topo ST2s - my 2nd favorite shoe. Decisions decisions!

My safety/exit strategy is my husband - I run from home and he can always come get me or the dog. I have only had him pick me up once but had him get the pup several times when it has gotten too hot and I wanted to keep going. A lot of the convenience stores take Apple Pay around us and I can do that from my phone or even my watch and there is always Starbucks if I need a coffee, food or water :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Ericjayh, @bradcharlessimmons and @gmiller725! Good luck keeping up with this thread! We all get behind! :D
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 mile group speed/track workout, then upper body weights / abs.
    5/2 - Overslept...unplanned rest day.
    5/3 - 4 treadmill miles. Trek Class.
    5/4 - Nada. Again. :neutral:
    5/5 - 4.75 mile group run.
    5/6 - Baseball tournament and yard work.
    5/7 - 5.25 miles.
    5/8 - 4.5 miles.

23.5/120
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    Already short taper run got cut short because my child threw a fit on the trail. We both survived, and I managed to remain calm :) but the run turned into taking the closest bus home.

Ohh - this is a good reminder that I should start packing an exit strategy such as a bus ticket on my runs.

I have cash behind the case on the phone I run with, and haven't ever needed it until a few weeks ago (sports drink at a gas station). It was definitely worth having it - I really needed it that day. But it's only for emergencies. I pretty much forget it's there.

That’s a really good idea. Not just for running but for life in general. I may not always have my purse with me, but I almost always have my phone. Tucking some money into the case is a perfect hiding spot!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new people!

@amymoreorless - sorry about your poor back. Take care of yourself. Back pain is so hard to cope with.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    05/02/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 6.1
    05/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 8.7
    05/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.7
    05/05/18 :::: 7.5 :::: 16.2
    05/06/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 18.8
    05/07/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 22.5
    05/08/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 25.9

Another lovely day here. Took a short run after work on the trails in the park and boy is it getting crowded out there. Everyone and their little dogs were out.

Right now I'm sitting out on my patio thinking this would have been the ideal time to run. It's cooled down a bit and just perfect. Instead I'll enjoy a beer and be happy I already got the run done.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

1/5: 13857 steps - 3.92 kms (2 slow walks: recovering from run yesterday and neck/back are hurting something fierce)
    2/5: 13553 steps - 3.74 kms (easy walk): neck/back still in pain
    3/5: 13882 steps - 2 walks of 21 mins and 30 mins (devices didn't log my walk kms properly)
    4/5: 10307 steps - very busy day, no time for actual walks
    5/5: 19769 steps - 9.13 kms (long walk with a friend)
    6/5: 12121 steps - 5.39 kms (C25K Wk2 D1) + 30 mins yoga stretches
    7/5: 13999 steps - 2.77 kms (walk at lunch) + assembling new lawnmower & cutting grass
    8/5: 15808 steps - 4.57 kms (walk at lunch & after work, back and left hip very twingy)

TOTAL : 29.52 / 90 kms goal

Races:

19/4-30/4: Zombies Run! App 2018 Spring Virtual Run
    22/9: “Coureurs des Bois” Obstacle Course Challenge (not signed up yet)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Well, I ran. Badly, it was ugly, I was ugly, but it happened. 2.5 miles
    3.5/30

Yay? Yay!!? Yay!!! :smiley: (my runs are 100% ugly, welcome)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Do you have access to an inversion table? It helped provide me some relief, and my PCP has a colleague that avoided surgery with daily use.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I added in a pair of Kinvaras not too long ago for easy run days but compared to my Skoras they feel so heavy and they have rubbed a painful callus on the side of my toe :(

Kinvaras get me in the same place exactly! Should look into these Skoras, never heard of them before. Any specific model recommended?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    5.01 miles tonight at a slow pace with a few short strides.

exercise.png
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I woke tired and achy today. Fortunately yoga was scheduled instead of a run, and although I felt very stiff for the first half, I felt like a million dollars when I was done.

1 May: 11.64
    2 May: 6.0 + yoga
    3 May: 7.22
    4 May: Rest
    5 May: 6.6 + yoga
    6 May: 12.74
    7 May: yoga
    8 May: 6.72
    9 May: yoga

50.92 of 150km
  • Ericjayh
    Ericjayh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes @lporter229 @PastorVincent @shanaber @Scott6255
    And anyone else I missed

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Of course after I put my goals out there had a tough day, today.To be expected since I made some distance gains over the weekend, though. And it's getting hot :-)
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I’m trying out the advice of walking at least two miles on a rest day, so I’m going to add the walks in as a tracker to see how I do on that the rest of the month. Daughter had a soccer game tonight, so I squeezed in the run before we had to leave to bring her to that. It was about 81 degrees out when I started and I went out too heavy of a pace as I was doing the whole pep talk for the last mile. I love the fact that we are warming up in WI so no complaints about that, I just need to be more mindful during the day and starting out so I’m prepared for it.

5/1 - 0
    5/2 - 0
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 0
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 4 miles/ 4 walk
    5/7 - 2.65 walk
    5/8 - 4 miles

Total 16 miles run/70.5 goal