5/5-2 miles easy with Stella
    5/6-26.4 miles (per Garmin) Flying Pig marathon
    5/7-Rest Day

39/90
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ericjayh wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am Eric. I am looking to become more serious about training. I want to run my first marathon. I have run 4 half marathons between 2 and 5 years ago; but I have never gotten all that serious about training. I'm thinking I would like to do the OKC Memorial Marathon 2019 and probably the Spirit of Survival half Marathon this fall. I have gotten out of shape, gained a few pounds, and have come to realize if I don't get serious about training I won't be able to get there. So I started logging calories, setting calorie goals and low carb, high protein, high fat diet. My wife Elise has been part of this group for several years, and has helped me a lot with training information and guidance ( I am not a very good studennt :- ) ) I am looking for support and guidance. Please feel free to add me and I look forward learning from you all :-)

Welcome! Glad to have you here. Maybe you can give us some pointers on how to keep that wife of your in line! I kid, of course. We love Elise.

I applaud you for getting serious about your diet and training. I tend to eat low(ish) carbs and much higher fat and protein. I feel like it helps with my training. What works for me is to train this way then to add carbs back in prior to my race. I start upping my carbs gradually as I head into my taper. After not eating a lot of carbs, I can have some big digestive issues if I try to introduce them back too fast, which is why I do it gradually. I have also noticed that fruit juices and liquids are a lot more gentle than a lot of refined carbs. But you have plenty of time to worry about this. Good luck with your training!

Welcome @bradcharlessimmons, @gmiller725 and @Cmorning99! Glad to have you here! @Cmorning99, I have to agree with @polskagirl01 . If your heart is not in it for the marathon, it's not likely to be a good experience. Working on a strong 5K can be just as challenging and rewarding. I think it's a great goal.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 85 miles

5/1: 6 miles
    5/2: 5.75 miles
    5/4: 5.6 miles
    5/6: 12.5 miles
    5/8: 4.1 miles

33.95/85 miles completed

I had a beautiful run this morning. The weather was really nice. It is supposed to be pretty hot this afternoon 97F is the forecast and it was about 68F this morning. I never liked getting up early before, but I do like running at 70F better than 95F. And since I only went 4.1 miles I had time to do yoga before work too. This afternoon I have to go in for a scheduled diagnostic mammogram. Hopefully there are no changes from last time, but if anyone wants to send good thoughts or prayers my way I do appreciate them.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays _Great to see you back!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I think my Garmin is just confused by how hurting and slow I was on my first three runs with it. It basically gave me a really low baseline fitness level and now it is confused.

That or it's the heat. 24 C today during my run (27 mid-afternoon) when 2 weeks ago it was 10 C.

Garmin is great for recording pace, time, distance, and heart rate. Putting those together for conclusions, not so much:

Before I turned off the recovery nags, Garmin would consistently tell me that I needed 11 hours of recovery after a 2 mile warmup.

Garmin thinks my mile PR is 5:33, because GPS ticked over a mile early the last time I ran a mile race on a track. Notwithstanding the fact that Garmin thinks the fastest I've ever run a mile is faster than I ever have, it predicts a 5K race time at a faster pace than that. Um, no way.

One might ask, how can the *same* app tell me I need 11 hours recovery after running 2 miles at about an 8:00 pace with my HR never getting above Zone 2, and also predict I can run a 5K at something faster than a 5:30 per mile pace? The only answer I can come up with is, the programmers threw some algorithms together to pop out numerical conclusions, and there was no checking for accuracy in the real world. It's almost random.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 6miles
    5/2 9.92miles
    5/3 6miles
    5/4 12miles
    5/5 6miles
    5/6 rest
    5/7 6.5miles
    5/8 6miles

A good 6 miler this morning. It was overcast and drizzling a little bit. I managed a 9:30 pace and it felt easy. I love when that happens cause most of the time 9:30 pace feels hard!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Already short taper run got cut short because my child threw a fit on the trail. We both survived, and I managed to remain calm :) but the run turned into taking the closest bus home.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 2.38 km
    5/3 - 6.23 km
    5/4 - cake
    5/5 - meetings
    5/6 - 4.18 km
    5/7 - 5.15 km

17.94/115 km

It's the shoes. Definitively. I'm annoyed about that. But at least today's run was completely pain free...

The first time I got fitted at a running store they suggested Glycerins. I loved them. When those wore out I got another pair, but it was a different color (same model). Well after running for a few weeks I started having awful hip pain. Ugh. I wouldn’t believe it was the shoe because my first pair were so awesome! I finally went back to the running store thinking I must need a different shoe entirely. They were nice enough to refund me and I picked out a pair of Hoka ones. AWFUL. I couldn’t bring myself to return those too. I tried physical therapy. Nothing was working. At this point the updated Glycerin model came out and I went and bought them thinking it couldn’t get any worse. Within 2 weeks of running in them my hip pain went away!

It truly can just be a bad pair of shoes! I was shocked!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Already short taper run got cut short because my child threw a fit on the trail. We both survived, and I managed to remain calm :) but the run turned into taking the closest bus home.

Ohh - this is a good reminder that I should start packing an exit strategy such as a bus ticket on my runs.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I think my Garmin is just confused by how hurting and slow I was on my first three runs with it. It basically gave me a really low baseline fitness level and now it is confused.

That or it's the heat. 24 C today during my run (27 mid-afternoon) when 2 weeks ago it was 10 C.

Garmin is great for recording pace, time, distance, and heart rate. Putting those together for conclusions, not so much:

Before I turned off the recovery nags, Garmin would consistently tell me that I needed 11 hours of recovery after a 2 mile warmup.

Garmin thinks my mile PR is 5:33, because GPS ticked over a mile early the last time I ran a mile race on a track. Notwithstanding the fact that Garmin thinks the fastest I've ever run a mile is faster than I ever have, it predicts a 5K race time at a faster pace than that. Um, no way.

One might ask, how can the *same* app tell me I need 11 hours recovery after running 2 miles at about an 8:00 pace with my HR never getting above Zone 2, and also predict I can run a 5K at something faster than a 5:30 per mile pace? The only answer I can come up with is, the programmers threw some algorithms together to pop out numerical conclusions, and there was no checking for accuracy in the real world. It's almost random.

Hahaha Garmin tells me I need like 50 hours of recovery :smile:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Hahaha Garmin tells me I need like 50 hours of recovery :smile:

For yesterday's 5K run it says I need 3 days... Sheesh.
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 2.38 km
    5/3 - 6.23 km
    5/4 - cake
    5/5 - meetings
    5/6 - 4.18 km
    5/7 - 5.15 km

17.94/115 km

It's the shoes. Definitively. I'm annoyed about that. But at least today's run was completely pain free...

The first time I got fitted at a running store they suggested Glycerins. I loved them. When those wore out I got another pair, but it was a different color (same model). Well after running for a few weeks I started having awful hip pain. Ugh. I wouldn’t believe it was the shoe because my first pair were so awesome! I finally went back to the running store thinking I must need a different shoe entirely. They were nice enough to refund me and I picked out a pair of Hoka ones. AWFUL. I couldn’t bring myself to return those too. I tried physical therapy. Nothing was working. At this point the updated Glycerin model came out and I went and bought them thinking it couldn’t get any worse. Within 2 weeks of running in them my hip pain went away!

It truly can just be a bad pair of shoes! I was shocked!

I like these shoes but they don't seem to have a ton of life to them. Not sure how many km they have in then because my previous tracker got confused when I added a second pair into the rotation but I've only had them since January. Then again my first pair died in late September after only 4 months of very light use. Guess I'm off to the shoe store...
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »

Ohh - this is a good reminder that I should start packing an exit strategy such as a bus ticket on my runs.

I have cash behind the case on the phone I run with, and haven't ever needed it until a few weeks ago (sports drink at a gas station). It was definitely worth having it - I really needed it that day. But it's only for emergencies. I pretty much forget it's there.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    My garmin doesn't tell me any of that. It just tells me I'm like 20 years older than I am based on fitness. Those must not be options on the vivioactive 3.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MAY GOALS, REHAB SMART, 10 hours of activity for the month. Work up to 3 minutes of running.

4---30 minutes stationary bike.
    4---68 minutes, 3.46 miles walk
    5---30 minutes bike, 7.25 miles
    5---22 minutes, 1.70 miles PT run 15(1,1)
    7---20 minutes, 1.44 miles (2,2)
    8---30 minutes, 2.14 miles 7(2,2)

200 minutes/8.74 miles

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    OKC memorial marathon (half)
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning folks!

@PastorVincent you have no idea...everyone was so tough in that 5K. I passed a few people but for the most part, everyone hung onto their paces.

@polskagirl01 I think if I run that marathon it will be a last minute decision. I suspect I will be already climbing into marathon mileage by then anyway if my paces do as I tell them too :)

@kristinegift That sounds like a Hansons workout!

@kgirlhart I feel ya on the heat. I am up and out the door by 5am for my runs. If I ever have a hot race, I am going to be screwed!

@zdyb23456 I hate Hokas... they destroyed my IT band. But the definitely work for some.

Due to a change in schedule, today was a surprise rest day! Whoop Whoop! But I also have 2 workouts tomorrow and one of them being a HIIT blech.

So tomorrow am is the Fartleks down the ladder. And today's challenge, not eating a metric ton on a rest day!