May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Orphia @7lenny7 I saw the awesome photos too late, otherwise I might have tried to do a finish line leap today myself too!

Wouldn't have looked nearly as cool though :mrgreen: I spontaneously drove to the one and only parkrun in my area this morning.
    Since it was a last minute decision, I didn't prepare for it like I would for a real race - I did a lower-body workout Thursday night from which my legs are still feeling sore; and I did an interval training run Friday night - I finished that run around 22h, came home completely wiped out, and while I was standing in the shower I thought to myself I need to run fast more often. And then I realised that this morning would be the perfect opportunity. There is a parkrun about 30min drive away. I usually don't want to spend twice the time in the car than I do running. But today I was meeting some friends in that town at 10am, and parkrun is at 9am, so it was perfect.
    The weather wasn't so great. It's been really hot and humid the last couple of days. This morning a thunderstorm started just when I left home, so I grabbed my rain jacket. Two minutes into the run the rain stopped, and the sun and humidity came back, and wearing the rain jacket started feeling like being in a sauna.... So by the time I crossed the finish line, I was probably looking a sweaty mess, and not feeling like jumping at all :p
    Today's time was 28:07, not anywhere near my PR from last year (26:26). Need to do more speedwork for sure!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Alright @Orphia , where's your bad photos.

You make running look fun and easy. We all know it kicks kittens. :wink:

Hahaha!

There were quite a few during my marathon, but I'm not sure I'm badass enough to pay for those! :smiley:

Here's some from parkrun including ones from before I got to my goal weight:

v8sgfs55f313.jpg
    vex8b5o17ph9.jpg
    c4i4tx708mg9.jpg

Don't we all love those ones when it looks like you've got feet of lead - the opposite to the much-wanted "flying feet" ones!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Orphia @7lenny7 I saw the awesome photos too late, otherwise I might have tried to do a finish line leap today myself too!

Wouldn't have looked nearly as cool though :mrgreen: I spontaneously drove to the one and only parkrun in my area this morning.
    Since it was a last minute decision, I didn't prepare for it like I would for a real race - I did a lower-body workout Thursday night from which my legs are still feeling sore; and I did an interval training run Friday night - I finished that run around 22h, came home completely wiped out, and while I was standing in the shower I thought to myself I need to run fast more often. And then I realised that this morning would be the perfect opportunity. There is a parkrun about 30min drive away. I usually don't want to spend twice the time in the car than I do running. But today I was meeting some friends in that town at 10am, and parkrun is at 9am, so it was perfect.
    The weather wasn't so great. It's been really hot and humid the last couple of days. This morning a thunderstorm started just when I left home, so I grabbed my rain jacket. Two minutes into the run the rain stopped, and the sun and humidity came back, and wearing the rain jacket started feeling like being in a sauna.... So by the time I crossed the finish line, I was probably looking a sweaty mess, and not feeling like jumping at all :p
    Today's time was 28:07, not anywhere near my PR from last year (26:26). Need to do more speedwork for sure!

@_nikkiwolf_ Great job scheduling in social events with workouts and running events!

Sympathies on the sticky rain jacket sauna! Hate it when that happens!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Well, we're having some bonkers weather but I got my third and fourth runs of the week in: 2.35 miles at 7:30 yesterday morning and 3.01 miles at 6:31 this morning. I'd planned on more today but called it short given that I'm still a titch sore from gardening, plus we're in the middle of a bonkers heat wave, which is exhausting - it's 90 right now and the sun is setting, ffs. I was supposed to go to a music festival tomorrow but we decided to cancel given that the high is predicted for 97 flipping degrees, plus I'm authorized for OT at work, plus I'm worried about my poor little transplants. So it goes. Four runs this week, 33.93 miles so far this month. Plus the gazebo survived a pretty heavy thunderstorm on Thursday, so there you go. Woo!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Well done! I might have gone back for my glasses though! :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today... house hunting. Hopefully run tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia What a inspiration it is to see your progress. Even though I've seen it before, it's still so absolutely amazing! I wanna be you when I grow up (and that Iron Nun, sister Madonna Buder). "Females are stong as hell" -Unbreakable Kimmy. LOL!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent If I had realized it before I started I would have. I was focused on not losing sight of the people ahead of me. LOL
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Ran my first Xterra this morning. I've signed up for the mid-distance series which range between 10 and 14km. Today's was a smidge over 10k but incredibly hilly - 368 metres - probably more hills today that I've climbed this year!! The event was fun, but I need to work on my technical skills (it appears I'm hopeless at running downhill, especially in the mud), and should probably invest in some trails shoes.

1 May: 11.64
    2 May: 6.0 + yoga
    3 May: 7.22
    4 May: Rest
    5 May: 6.6 + yoga
    6 May: 12.74
    7 May: yoga
    8 May: 6.72
    9 May: yoga
    10 May: 10.04
    11 May: rest
    12 May: yoga
    13 May: 13.13
    14 May: yoga
    15 May: 6.59
    16 May: yoga
    17 May: 10.12
    18 May: pizza
    19 May: yoga
    20 May: 14.01
    21 May: 5.58 + yoga
    22 May: 5.01
    23 May: yoga
    24 May: 10.18
    25 May: rest
    26 May: yoga
    27 May: Xterra 10.07

135.65 of 150km
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I am in the first mile warm up of my 8 miler and I can't breathe! Day 2 without allegra and I'm all stuffed up. :s
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @girlinahat love the race photo! Lots of race spirit! The happiness on you face is priceless!

I run shirtless too. Rolly people have rights. It not just the pretty ones that get to take their shirts off. :wink: I passed on old guy that said "disgusting" as I passed, the title of his sex tape- ya burnt.

Etidtwd cuz I can't spell tital, tidle, title, name of something *kitten*.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - those pictures are so cute!
    @RunsOnEspresso - sorry you are having breathing issue. Is there something else you can take?

All the race picture talk had me looking back at mine. It seems I actually take better pictures when I am running with a partner. Or maybe I am more aware of the cameras. idk... two from a while ago.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    12.51 miles today.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber I can't take any allergy meds for the next couple of days. I am having the back test done Tuesday morning.

I applaud those that run shirtless! I always want to do it but can't bring myself to do so. Yet I wear a bikini at the beach so go figure. Brains. They are weird.