Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Options
1232425262729»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby described people pulling a salary as “greedy” today. I suggested maybe they are just trying to make a living.

When does overindulgence cross the line in to greed?

Maybe with this.

https://toakchocolate.com
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I don’t know if overindulgence is abuse per se.

I also don’t think the issue is related to lack of learning. If anything we are bombarded with information of varying quality.

I think overindulgence is a result of ready accessibility and bad habits.

I feel that overindulgence is a result of people who have a lack of willpower and greed.

Overindulgence is a lack of greed? How so? Or did you mean something else and just missed a semicolon or something?

I hate to speak for someone else, but, I'm pretty sure it was "lack of willpower" and "greed", not a lack of willpower and a lack of greed.

But, I think you already knew that...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hubby described people pulling a salary as “greedy” today. I suggested maybe they are just trying to make a living.

When does overindulgence cross the line in to greed?

Maybe with this.

https://toakchocolate.com
    Genuinely curious about the first sentence - your husband thinks that people who make a salary are greedy? In what way? All people, all professions? Or was he referring to a particular person/group at his own place of work?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Think about all the older generation living into their hundreds .. they survived when there wasn’t things like “gluten free” “vegans” “lactose free” etc they ate whatever they could afford .. it’s only in the last ... 20 years or so (random guess) that I would say the world has become health and fitness mad. Like .. literally mad, food is food .. it all contains some form of chemical, it all has some form of negative side effect or someone somewhere is allergic to it. Just eat what you want?

The older people that we see today are the survivors of their generations. People have suffered untimely deaths and failed to reach old age for all of human history so I'm not sure what looking at the (relatively few) people who reach the age of 100+ is supposed to demonstrate to us.

Indeed they have survived .. which is my point. If it was so vital for us to eat as strictly as some of us do then we wouldn’t have many people around that live past 70. I think the world has made these health phases more of a trend .. it’s fashionable to be vegan, fashionable to be gluten free (unless you do suffer from coeliac disease)

Dietary choices are only one factor to consider when looking at the health of a population. Genetics, access to medical care, external environmental factors are just a few others. A huge contributing factor to the increase in life span are advances in diagnostic testing enabling earlier treatment for potentially life threatening illnesses.

Pretty sure those have far more to do with the fact that you see evidence of an aging population as a sign that our current dietary trends are unnecessary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Think about all the older generation living into their hundreds .. they survived when there wasn’t things like “gluten free” “vegans” “lactose free” etc they ate whatever they could afford .. it’s only in the last ... 20 years or so (random guess) that I would say the world has become health and fitness mad. Like .. literally mad, food is food .. it all contains some form of chemical, it all has some form of negative side effect or someone somewhere is allergic to it. Just eat what you want?

The older people that we see today are the survivors of their generations. People have suffered untimely deaths and failed to reach old age for all of human history so I'm not sure what looking at the (relatively few) people who reach the age of 100+ is supposed to demonstrate to us.

Indeed they have survived .. which is my point. If it was so vital for us to eat as strictly as some of us do then we wouldn’t have many people around that live past 70. I think the world has made these health phases more of a trend .. it’s fashionable to be vegan, fashionable to be gluten free (unless you do suffer from coeliac disease)

Consider the possibility that the people with serious food sensitivities, in yesteryear (whenever that was), might have then died in childhood . . . something that was once sadly common, and now very rare indeed. Today, they live to adulthood, swim in the gene pool, and become more common. Modern medicine (broadly speaking) is an amazing thing.

Fundamentally, I sympathize with the idea that some segment of people with "sensitivities" are being all trendy and "princess and the pea" because they have too little of serious import to worry about. But some are telling the truth. How should any of the rest of us tell them apart?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Maybe overindulgence is the lack of hoarding? Just thinking it through.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's another factor that has nothing to do with overindulgence or hoarding. It's called "not having enough".

https://fstoppers.com/food/what-week-groceries-looks-around-world-3251