100 lbs to lose Suggestions to prevent loose skin

I am on a restricted budget, so a trainer is out for now. I am focusing on cardio right now, but I want to work on my tummy, rear end & upper arms while I lose weight.

Does anyone have a suggestion where to start? (An App or a book, maybe?)

Replies

• Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Would you rather be ur current size or be 100 less with a little hanging skin? A lil hanging skin won't kill you. The only suggestions I have are to keep the skin moisturized and do a progressive load strength training program. Look up strong curves or strong lifts 5X5.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    Would you rather be ur current size or be 100 less with a little hanging skin? A lil hanging skin won't kill you. The only suggestions I have are to keep the skin moisturized and do a progressive load strength training program. Look up strong curves or strong lifts 5X5.

Gotta believe on-point nutrition - for healthy cells and all that - also couldn't hurt, might help, and sensible people wanna do it anyway for other reasons. ;)
  • writerinmc67
    writerinmc67 Posts: 5 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Search the forum - there have been many good discussions on it, both here and in the "General" forum.

And thank you for spelling "lose" and "loose" correctly. :+1:

You’re welcome.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    If a trainer is out of the question, could you possibly get yourself some dumbbells or bar and plates?
    I'm asking because I believe it is a good idea to work in some strength training.
    Start looking around for a program that suits you. You'll thank yourself later!
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Strength training is the way to go, also if you lose slowly your skin will likely be less "saggy". Your skin has elasticity to it and will shrink back naturally over time, if you lose slowly you will see better skin results. Keep hydrated too and moisturize skin regularly.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,223 Member
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    Look up strong curves or strong lifts 5X5.

Given your description of areas you want to target, I would suggest Strong Curves over SL 5x5. My impression is that Strong Curves is very scalable to equipment and lifting level. Having tried SL 5x5 I don't think it's nearly as good as the quantity of recommendations would suggest.
  • writerinmc67
    Everyone has great suggestions; I will definitely read the success stories. I want to do strength training but I am leery about bad discs in the left side of my neck. I think I need to ask my doctor about weight limits. I was checking out Planking, Pilates and Yoga last night online as well.

I won’t stress to death about excess skin. I just wanted to be proactive about what I can control, especially since I am 50 years old.

Thank you for all the great suggestions & insights!

Jen
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    Everyone has great suggestions; I will definitely read the success stories. I want to do strength training but I am leery about bad discs in the left side of my neck. I think I need to ask my doctor about weight limits. I was checking out Planking, Pilates and Yoga last night online as well.

I won’t stress to death about excess skin. I just wanted to be proactive about what I can control, especially since I am 50 years old.

Jen

The link r3488 provided above includes beginner bodyweight programs (no/minimal equipment) as well as regular weight training programs, just for the record. Some of those still might be incompatible with your physical issues, but I just wanted to clarify that it's not all dumbbell/barbell stuff.
  • writerinmc67
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Jen

The link r3488 provided above includes beginner bodyweight programs (no/minimal equipment) as well as regular weight training programs, just for the record. Some of those still might be incompatible with your physical issues, but I just wanted to clarify that it's not all dumbbell/barbell stuff.

Thanks! I just went back and looked at the list again! I’ll spend some time reading to find the right one. I appreciate it!
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    sadly , i have loose skin. i'm not sure if it can be avoided. some have more than others. i used to work with a woman who had the gastric surgery and has not one inch of loose skin. i used to stare at her like she was extinct. LOL meanwhile my arms/triceps are just ugh!! i've accepted the fact that they may never "tighten up" as long as i stay consistent i wont complain too much. i've lost over 140 lbs so again i think "some" loose skin should be expected, for most people