I have been eating 600-800 calories a day...

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Do you not have time for breakfast? ... that alone could get you where you need to be.

I do eat breakfast every day!! Its usually 100 - 200+ calories... Cereal is usually what I have!! With skim milk and sometimes fruit!

Are you sure your calorie counts are accurate?
    I usually try my best to measure what I eat!!! Today my breakfast was in the 500 range because I ate a lot of cereal with bananas and added some raisins... Is cereal a good breakfast food though? I was wondering that as well...!! I am scared I will gain weight because i did this...

oh sweetie if youre scared a little bit of cereal with fruit on it will cause you to gain weight then we might want to think about our relationship with food.

Remember there is no bad food. Your body needs nutrition to be fueled and grow (cells are constantly repairing). I hope you get the help you need.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, up them gradually. Add 100-200 every week or so.

^that... until you get to a MINIMUM of 1,200. I SUGGEST you figure out an estimate of what your tdee is, total daily energy expenditure (calculators are online), work your way up to that gradually and stay there. You'll probably temporarily gain some weight as your body realizes you're not going to starve it anymore. Once you get there, give it 6-8 weeks before you start worrying about any weight gain.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have days where I eat 800-1000 calories and I feel satiated. Not hungry at all. Ironically, I find that the days that I have worked out the hardest and have the most exercise calories to burn are the days when I have the least amount of desire to eat. Then there are days where I'm at 2000 calories for the day and I'm STILL starving. I track my calories and everything; however, I also believe in listening to what your body's telling you. That means not eating if you're not hungry, and eating if you are. Having a few days, here and there, where you don't eat all that much isn't really going to do too much damage to you in the long term; however, eating too few calories over an extended period of time can cause your metabolism to wig out/slow down. I think other posters have given some great advice about how to add extra calories to your meals every day, might be worth giving it a try!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you eat that amount and feel that you have energy, one of two things are likely going on: one, your standards for having energy have dropped, or two, you're shorter than Snooki.

The more important thing than whether you feel full is whether your bones and vital organs think you're taking in enough vitamins and such.
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/456754-is-a-1000-calorie-diet-safe

Here is a link to an article you may want to read. This website is reliable. You should really talk to a nutritionist. Eating that little calories a day will eventually catch up with you.
  • atkinsshake
    atkinsshake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When describing food you say you eat "tons", how could you on that few calories, your perception is off. Seek some help, everyone can use that once in a while, no need to be embarrassed.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    AUGUST 2013 THREAD
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    AUGUST 2013 THREAD

AUGUST 2013 THREAD.
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    tataylllor wrote: »
    This is my case! I was in ur position a few weeks ago and i did a lot of research about this and also some threads! I used to eat around 600 - 900 for like 8 months and so these few weeks ago i decided to increase my calorie intake weekly by adding 100 calories per week.. right now im consuming 1300 calories and was SUPER afraid to gain weight (still scared) but i've actually lost weight since this change... im looking to add some weight and then maintain cause im underweight, but if ur goal is to maintain DO THIS. Im very happy with the results.
    You can still add me and we can share eating tips, i feel identified with ur case :)

I feel glad some one relates to me!!! I would be happy to add you!! Did you gain any weight whatsoever when upping calories???

PS: TO THOSE WONDERING: I do get a lot of protein and eat a ton of vegetables, just many times I get afraid I am eating to much of it. I eat lots of chicken and beef (usually steak). I love greens such as beans, zucchini, peas, peppers ( well any colour), and more!! I have tons of water and I love green tea, I do eat healthy but many times when I eat I do get afraid I am eating too much even if it is healthy and then I think straight away I am going to put on weight... I do notice many of you are saying its okay to have cake sometimes but I am really scared to throw off things even though I do hear cheating does speed metabolism..??

With utmost respect, both of you do need to be making an appointment with your family physicians.

Fear of eating, fear of gaining, daily calorie consumption of 500-900 calories a day, all point to what is called disordered eating.

Diets and calorie daily consumption of 800 or less is what is known as Very Low Calorie diets. They need to be supervised by a doctor and are generally only used in circumstances where patients are considerably over-weight and often have over-riding health concerns where it is deemed necessary to get some weight off quickly.

For people like yourselves, one underweight and the other either normal weight or also underweight, your very low calorie consumption is doing your body great harm and some of this can be very difficult to reverse.

Think about this, when you lose weight a person loses both fat and muscle. What's the most important muscle you have? Your heart! This, you really don't want to damage. It can and does, in quite a large percentage of instances, lead to death.

Also, there is no reason to deal your feelings of fear about eating, or loss of control by yourselves. Your physicians can set you up with real help to deal with these issues.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    When describing food you say you eat "tons", how could you on that few calories, your perception is off. Seek some help, everyone can use that once in a while, no need to be embarrassed.

Why bring back old post?

• silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'd kill people at 600-800 calories. Are you sure you're counting everything correctly?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It always gets me when people blindly post and do not actually check the date on a topic first, thus wasting their time posting to someone who most likely moved on sometime ago, lol.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    It always gets me when people blindly post and do not actually check the date on a topic first, thus wasting their time posting to someone who most likely moved on sometime ago, lol.

Where exactly IS the date on this thread?? I don't see any with this new format...
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Stuffed on 500 calories?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »

Where exactly IS the date on this thread?? I don't see any with this new format...

Look to the left under the poster's avatar. The bottom line is the date, or if the date is today, the time. The original post was made in August 2013.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DKLI wrote: »
    Stuffed on 500 calories?
    lol, yeah, I love it when someone's like...

I have to lose 40 pounds!
    I have such a hard time eating 1100 calories a day, am I ok?

lulno. No way you hit 40 pounds heavy on 1100 calories a day.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Assuming your calorie count is accurate, you're better off eating a McDonald's cheeseburger than remaining on a crash diet. Eating below your BMR day after day is absurd, and your results won't last.
    Buck up and exercise some discipline while following the MFP recommendations for steady, safe and lasting weight loss.
    Good Luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Assuming your calorie count is accurate, you're better off eating a McDonald's cheeseburger than remaining on a crash diet. Anything below your BMR is absurd and your results won't last.
    Buck up and exercise some discipline while following the MFP recommendations for steady, safe weight loss.
    Good Luck!

You being who?