I am tired of family members telling me to stop losing weight

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a bit frustrated right now, so apologies for the mini-rant.

It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to see certain family members anymore. "You need to stop losing weight". "We're going to get you help if you don't stop dieting". It's always the first thing out of certain family member's mouth, and always from someone who has been obese their entire life. I have told them the comments hurt my motivation, but the response is typically "Good, you need to stop". I get their heart is in the right place, at least I hope, they've not once complimented me on my weight loss.

About me: I have lost a total of 75 pounds so far. My BMI is 23.3 and nothing alarmingly low. I've always had very little muscle mass which throws my BMI off a bit. My waist measurements shows I should ideally lose another 2-3 inches given my height of 6'1". I have also gotten second opinions from friends I trust, and a family doctor, which all agreed another 10-15 pounds is ideal.

I am very close to not going to family gathering anymore because it hurts my motivation. I am now the only person in my family that isn't morbidly obese, and they can't seem to accept what "healthy" is suppose to look like.

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Lounmoun as well. Set some boundaries if this is getting to you but wait until you calm down. If you do it angry you might go too far.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    “If everyone around you is obese, it is easy to start seeing that as normal”

OMG. This ^. Over and over and over!!!

Seriously. I second this. Just because it’s the standard, doesn’t mean it should be!

Don’t settle for less than what you and your GP deem as healthy for you and your goals/lifestyle.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    People (especially family members) can get really uncomfortable when they see others stepping of the role they think is assigned to them. Plus, their concept of what's a healthy weight is probably way off whack. Chances are they'll get used to it eventually.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »

It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to see certain family members anymore. "You need to stop losing weight". "We're going to get you help if you don't stop dieting". It's always the first thing out of certain family member's mouth, and always from someone who has been obese their entire life. I have told them the comments hurt my motivation, but the response is typically "Good, you need to stop". I get their heart is in the right place, at least I hope, they've not once complimented me on my weight loss.

About me: I have lost a total of 75 pounds so far. My BMI is 23.3 and nothing alarmingly low. I've always had very little muscle mass which throws my BMI off a bit. My waist measurements shows I should ideally lose another 2-3 inches given my height of 6'1". I have also gotten second opinions from friends I trust, and a family doctor, which all agreed another 10-15 pounds is ideal.

I am very close to not going to family gathering anymore because it hurts my motivation. I am now the only person in my family that isn't morbidly obese, and they can't seem to accept what "healthy" is suppose to look like.

'i'm not losing weight any more' and change the subject... simple.

• Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your weight-loss! I'm 6'1'' myself. I don't know what it's like for you but because I'm so tall I have fat all over lol So losing another 10-15 might sound extreme to others but be spot on for you. I weigh 179 lbs now and just got my first "You're too skinny" comment from my grandma, and honestly I took it as a compliment.

I would encourage you not to stop going to family gatherings. Like others have already said, you can just brush it off and change the subject. Who knows? Maybe in the future your success might inspire some of them to change too.
    *Hugs*
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Same here, I have about 10-15 pounds to lose but have been in maintenance mode to just satisfied my family. Especially with my health problems I was having. I lost 60# but over the course of 9 months, and EVERYONE would tell me how skinny I was getting. Including co-workers and it was getting quite annoying. Now that the weather is getting warm & my Heath is better I plan to go back to running and lose the last of the weight since everyone finally got use to me being this size.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    They gave their height and bmi so probably around 175. Based on their bmi losing another 10-15 lbs would plop them in the middle of the range.

If they have gotten second opinions from friends they trust, a dr, and their bmi they are aiming for is right in the middle of the healthy range, I think the chance of the family being right is almost minuscule.

To add to the list of things family says that are hurtful/annoying.
    My parents recently told me they were worried about me being too boney when I reached my goal weight, which is the weight I was at end of highschool.
    However 5 years earlier they commented on how much weight I put on in college since the end of highschool and I was so mortified (because we don't discuss weight in my family) that I engaged in several unhealthy calorie restricted diets on and off for the next year and ended up just gaining weight until I took control almost a year ago.

I understand they got used to seeing me at a weight and a drastic change they will express concern. But I think there are bad approaches and good approaches.
    crazyravr wrote: »
    tyrindor wrote: »

What do you weight at 6'1" ??? How about some pics? Because maybe just maybe they are right.