Anyone else not telling???

Options
Okay, so I have started and stopped dieting so many times that I decided this time I am totally committed. I am doing this for myself. However, I have not told my husband (or anyone else) that I am logging cals., weighing in on here or anything. I want to see how long it takes him to notice I've lost weight. He knows I am doing P90X, but that's about it. I have lost 8 lbs. so far, but he hasn't asked or said anything yet. I am waiting to see how long it takes (or if he does). I was 135 lbs. when we met, so I am going to lose the 30 lbs. that I have put on since then. He is one of those lucky ones, in amazing shape and seems to eat whatever/whenever he wants.

Is anyone else keeping their diet/exercise a secret?

Replies

• Eli_Xx
    Eli_Xx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I need to. DH and I have both put on weight, but it's much more noticeable with my small frame. But everytime I try to start losing weight he makes me not want to by telling me I can't do it.
  • jupdyke
    jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I need to. DH and I have both put on weight, but it's much more noticeable with my small frame. But everytime I try to start losing weight he makes me not want to by telling me I can't do it.

I'm sorry that he tells you that you can't do it! You definitely can do it and when you do, do it for YOU :) Best of luck to ya...you can add me if you want to!
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I never kept it a secret but I didnt tell my husband right out either. After a month on this site, I told my husband Ive lost 5lbs. He was happy for me and mentioned he needed to lose a bit of weight too after noticing what I ate didnt change, just the portions and he was more than willing to try out mfp too. He likes it and now were both on the road to weight loss, supporting each other along the way. :)
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling either. Only because he tends to sabotage me with food rewards. He's so helpful. :laugh:

I've lost 11 so far and the only thing he's noticed is that I've gone for a couple of long walks when he was home. I usually try to go while he's at work. 91 more lbs. to go! He's not the most observant person in the world, so I'm hoping to get to the halfway mark before he notices. :smile:
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that I'm keeping it a secret but I didn't bother announcing it to anyone. It comes up in conversation if someone sees me logging calories or I'm honest about why I'm turning down cookies or the offer to go in on a pizza order or why I didn't make biscuits with breakfast but I'm not really going around proclaiming that I'm eating any different or anything like that. And when I first started I didn't tell anyone anything. I did tell my partner that I'd need the living room to exercise in and that some things might get moved around but that's not really anything new for me.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

what is this "DH" I keep seeing all over stand for

and no I keep it to myself, until I see someone eating something that horrifies me and I ask them if they know how many cals are in that food? when I tell them they gasp...and then proceed to ask me a million questions
    (ow ETA I work in a kitchen is why I ask ppl if they know about cals, I wouldn't do it to some rando)
  • SilverLotusGirl
    Options
    DH=Dear Husband
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel like your husband might not ever outright comment on your actual weight loss. In men's minds that is a recipe for disaster. He might not know if you will respond in a stereotypical way by thinking he thought you were fat before. I personally never kept this from my boyfriend, and he has been nothing but supportive and complimentary the entire time.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    Options
  • SilverLotusGirl
    Options

Part of me is tempted to say you need a new husband...but it's not my place and not that easy. I will say to ignore the fool and keep doing what works for you. I hope he comes around to be a support for you. You can do this! Now, rock it out!
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I told my husband and he is supportive of my efforts. It helps me to be committed by having other people that I actually know know that I am trying to lose weight.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have practically shouted it from the rooftops. I love having help and encouragement from others and I need the accountability. Additionally, because I've started getting healthy, I have the added bonus that several of my friends are once again actively logging on MFP and working out. And fortunately I have a DH who is very supportive, even if he drives me just a little bit crazy sometimes ;)
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options

if my husband ever told me that hed be in the dog house. it would definitely light the fire under my butt to get it done tho. feels good to prove to yourself what you can do if you really want something.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows because it's a big change in my habits. My sister knows because the other day she asked what time it was and I looked in my bra to tell her. I then had to explain the fitbit. Lol. But anyone who knows me at all would notice pretty quickly by my food choices. I am not hiding it but not announcing it either. Still waiting for someone to see a difference in my shape. It looks the same to me.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My family knew I got a fitbit flex and they know I have been on the treadmill more. I started on MFP just this week while they are away on vacation. (I am stuck working while they go play.) I don't know if I am going to say anything or not. I don't want to make a big deal of it. Although my husband and kids are always buying treats for the house and I have a huge sweet tooth. They don't really make any changes to their habits if I am dieting or not. It is up to me to resist the temptations.
  • DoreenCooper63
    DoreenCooper63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just gotten started (again!) and have a LONG way to go so this time I've told my DH and my immediate co-workers but that's it. The co-workers are very supportive and keep me on the straight and narrow. I'm much less likely to stray if I know they're watching! If DH proposes something food-wise that isn't appropriate I say, "sorry, not in my food plan for today." And I make sure I reserve enough calories to enjoy a small dab of ice cream with him every night so he doesn't feel like he's being punished :wink:
  • jupdyke
    jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I feel like your husband might not ever outright comment on your actual weight loss. In men's minds that is a recipe for disaster. He might not know if you will respond in a stereotypical way by thinking he thought you were fat before. I personally never kept this from my boyfriend, and he has been nothing but supportive and complimentary the entire time.

LOL...very good point...he may see it as a trap if he says something. I guess that I have noticed as I gained weight, the compliments have slowly dwindled and now he hardly every compliments me about my body. Don't get me wrong, he is an AMAZING husband...sometimes I just don't feel like I am physically who he married. He has never made any negative comments about my weight gain, but can't help but know he sees it too.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm not keeping it a secret but I don't talk to anyone about it like I used to mostly because I haven't been doing well the past month. My hectic schedule has gotten the better of me the past few weeks and now I am trying to get back on track.
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My sister knows because the other day she asked what time it was and I looked in my bra to tell her. I then had to explain the fitbit. Lol.

:laugh:

"The magic boobies say it's 3:30!"
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i usually did keep it a secret and i still failed every time.
    this time i told everyone, and it did keep me motivated. till i told them "i lost 10lbs in 2 months" and they said "thats it?"

we're drilled into us that weight loss takes little time from diet commercials and such. so thats when i stopped telling people again.