Anyone else not telling???

Options

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I never proactively tell anyone anything about my weight/fitness routine. I am going to a family wedding next week... I'm a little more than half way to goal and have lost 114 pounds so I guess some might notice.. When they do, I'll be happy to tell them what I've been doing which includes MFP, exercise and having 80% of my stomach surgically removed (VSG).
  • dsadler81
    dsadler81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't told too many people about my goals for my weight loss - partly because then I have to tell them how much I weigh. :( But honestly, I find that people are quick to tell you what you're doing wrong (in their opinion) and it frustrates and discourages me. I get all the support I need from my new MFP friends!! :)
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone except my husband and best friend for about four months. Now the whole world knows, since I have a blog and fb page. :)
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started here (again). My mom and husband know I use MFP, but they also know I am absolutely not doing this just for weight loss. I care far more about becoming healthy again then losing a certain amount of weight.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I need to. DH and I have both put on weight, but it's much more noticeable with my small frame. But everytime I try to start losing weight he makes me not want to by telling me I can't do it.

well that's horrible, you CAN DO IT, and you could do it much easier with some support at home!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There is just no way I could keep this a secret. I'm weighing things and measuring things and obsessing over calories..... that and I cannot keep anything from my husband, I tell him everything. The good thing is, he joined in with me and he is giving me awesome support, the bad thing is I've managed to lose 7 pounds while he's dropped 15! Lucky dog is 14 inches taller than me too, guys get all the breaks, lol.
  • livvymelilly
    Options
    I keep it a secret because my family gets WAY too involved, when I have a little victory, such as not eating mcdonalds (its harder than it sounds) they tell me that eating a PBJ is not a good meal. They make me feel like crap because I'm not losing weight exactly as they do, when they haven't been overweight in their lives! So yes, keeping it a secret is the only way for me to not get discouraged!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I haven't told too many people about my goals for my weight loss - partly because then I have to tell them how much I weigh. :( But honestly, I find that people are quick to tell you what you're doing wrong (in their opinion) and it frustrates and discourages me. I get all the support I need from my new MFP friends!! :)

I'm with you. I can do without the gratuitous advice from everyone. Especially from people who haven't even tried to lose weight themselves.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I haven't really told, but not hiding it easier. [My husband needs to get on board and workout,, too, though.]
    I started here after a major surgery- to lose a few extra pounds I gained leading up to surgery and to get my strength back.
    My husband knows I am working out and watching the types of foods I eat (healthy and more protein) because he lives with me sees the weight bench and hears me mention stuff about 'I should chose A over B because I need mor protein today". but I don't know if he knows I am actually logging calories. He might. depends on how observant he is.

(and no one else I know has any clue that I am actively losing weight, even though I am thinner- but my surgery was to remove a fibroid the size of a melon- that made me look 5 months pregnant- so they probably assume I am just thinner from that)
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I tell my husband...but do not tell others. Right now I am on seasonal layoff....but I have found that when I announce things at work, some of the ladies tend to try and sabotage my efforts. And me being me....I am easily tempted by donuts and pizza and such.

The other nice thing about not announcing to others outside the immediate family: as I have been losing people will just stop and say - "WOW - you look really good!"

I have lost a total of 75 pounds so far over the last 2 to 3 years. I have been stuck for a while...fell back into some bad habits. That is why I have joined. I have a goal to be around 250 before my Disney trip next year.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I need to. DH and I have both put on weight, but it's much more noticeable with my small frame. But everytime I try to start losing weight he makes me not want to by telling me I can't do it.

Holy crap my wife does the same exact thing. I believe it is out of pure jealousy. Well every time I tell myself that I will prove her wrong .So far so good. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I only told my husband until people started noticing/asking when I was done 18 pounds. It's the % weight loss, not the absolute loss that seems to kick it, IMO.

I think it's a fine idea until you start getting annoyed that no one has noticed. I'd tell my husband because I'd be pissed if he didn't. But everyone else . . . well, it's not really their business but it feels great when they notice.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's good to tell people, it ups the accountability. I find it surprising that some people would be sabotaged by the ones they need the most support from! I lost weight once before (quick and easy in 2006) ... and then as the weight fluctuated through the years I'd try here and there I'd just "try" on my own.

This time - like a few others here have said, I've made it VERY public. Hubby is supportive and will give compliments as he sees progress. He does have to put up with me shooting down a "dessert date" when I don't have calories set aside. I have my phone with me when we got out to dinner and I log as I eat (I'm so forgetful). He's aware of the increased activity on my part. I've told him I really want to return to our racquetball dates (he says he needs to get back into shape somewhat or he would have a heart attack).

I've tried to get my mom here on MFP, I've told friends, even made a blog and actually even linked it to my Facebook page when I lost my first 15 (30 more to go). http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/

I always say how lucky I am ... a SAHM with a home gym, I have the time, the equipment so I have no excuses. I hadn't really appreciated how lucky I also am to have support, no negativity ... yes my guys still expect me to make them goodies, so I do have to practice some willpower (and make sure I set aside some calories for indulging).
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I told the two friends that told me about MFP. I told my husband that I was watching what I ate. I didn't tell any at work. However, when people started asking about whether I was losing weight, I told them. It gets really noticeable when you pants get real baggy. One friend at work asked how I was doing it and I told her about MFP. She and her husband joined. I told some friends and my sister when they mad comments about the change. I am pretty much where I want to be now.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    well, no hubby here and at the beginning i only told DS (27 YO who lives with me) and nobody else. Like many others, i have been down the road so many times, so much yo-yoing, that *I* am sick of hearing about, as i'm sure my friends/relatives/co workers are.

some of my co workers know that i'm doing "something" but havent' really mentioned what. told two of my friends - but these are people that i rarely see in person. haven't told my sisters - we have a family event coming up that i will be going to the States for, and i was hoping to be down to a size 8 by then lol (would've helped if i had started sooner...) but would like to be down to at least a 18 or perhaps 16 by then. (last event i was at, was in march, and i was size 22-24/2x. since then i am down a bit, can ALMOST fit into my size 18s so i'm hoping that by the time i have to go i will be down somewhat more)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    To the OP, good for you! Keep it up.

I talked about my diet and exercise in the beginning to my close friends, but have stopped talking about it now. I began to get comments when I lost 20 pounds ("have you lost weight?") and loads of compliments when I lost 30.

I think it's fine to not say anything in the beginning. That's how I quit smoking many years ago. I'd tried to quit so many times I didn't want people watching me try again. It took off a lot of pressure.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    The only person I've told is my husband. I think my mom and sister kind of know since I've mentioned the site before, but as far as I know no one else knows. I'd like to keep it that way. There's so much stigma over the word "diet".
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    I haven't told people, but its not a secret if you know what I mean. Most of my my friends and family have heard it so many times before...i am sure they would just roll their eyes at me! Plus with my kids I want to set a good example with what I eat and what I provide for them to eat but also I don't want to make them aware of dieting and create any body image issues for them....but they are both little string beans still!
  • jupdyke
    jupdyke Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My partner knows, how can you hide weighing stuff out and that... Or does he must not care cause he so over the...another diet syndrome ......

I hit my partner up about why he let me get so fat... He just said I thought you had it...you have done it before...and then he says oh well I was going to say something soon..rotfl.......

MEN!!!!!!!!

Actually, my husband works a long, odd shift, so he isn't around until after dinner is over and is in bed when I have my night snack. On his days off, I just do my thing (I pretty much can eyeball servings by now). I guess I'm not really hiding it, just not announcing it..ya know?
  • tburkett1915
    Options
    My DH knows I've been trying to lose weight but he doesn't know all the changes I've made so far. He has yet to notice that I've lost 10lbs, but I'm not telling him. I'm not annoucing to anyone my weight loss. I'm happy with knowing what I'm is working and when people notice, they'll say something, or not. I'm no longer concerned about that anymore.