Replies

• oogiemoo
    oogiemoo Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • goro2533
    goro2533 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To everyone who is worried about the taste of olive oil in baking, you can't tell the difference. I use it for all my baking and eveyone always comments on how rich everything is....

Thanks for posting the reassurance. I would've been very afraid to use olive oil even to spray the pan.

So... you use olive oil in your actual baking recipes as well? Like, subbing it for veggie oil & whatnot? Or just to grease the pan?

I have been using olive oil and canola in baking recipes for years. No issues with taste. I sub for vegetable oil, and I also make an oatmeal cookie recipe where I sub canola oil for butter.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    olive oil??? Really? That just doesn't sound good.

On a funny side note. A few years ago my husband try to surprise me by making a brownie mix. The minute I walked in the house, I knew something was wrong. I tried one of the brownies and they tasted like french fries.

My husband, God bless him, had read "vegetable oil", had bypassed the bottle canola oil because he had never heard of such a vegetable, dug into the bowels of my pantry to find a jug labeled vegetable oil, which as it turns out was my fry oil. :noway:

I made these today, but replaced the olive oil with prune puree, worked fine,they turned out great. I don't use oil at all, never in the house, so I had to find an alternative, cause I sure as heck wasn't paying good $$ to buy olive oil just to make me some brownies...lol
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I may have to try these....
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting!
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pajamamama
    pajamamama Posts: 61
    Options
    bump!
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I made these last night. They were a decent enough size...I thought they'd be tiny. However, I wasn't super impressed with the flavor. They are chocolate-ish, but it didn't really satisfy my chocolate craving (but that is just my opinion) And, they are somewhat time-consuming to prepare. Not because they are complicated, but, I didn't realize that it was going to take THAT long for the egg to reach room temperature. It also took a long time for the honey mixture to cool down to room temp. So again, not difficult, but perhaps not the thing to make if you are in a hurry. Just some things to consider...
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I made these last night but used canola oil instead of olive. I thought they were good. I could tell they weren't as sweet as other brownies, but I did use less honey. I didn't wait for the egg to come to room temp but they still turned out just fine. I would definitely make them again.
  • llmitchell
    Options
    I, too, made these last night. I made two batches to compare flavors. I found increasing the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon helped mellow the honey flavor.

The consistency was more cakelike than brownie so I will make them again just to see if I can improve the texture. I would definitely use a MILD flavored honey, as light of color as you can find and the EVOO is not detectable at all. I use it all the time in my muffins.

My husband thought they were very good for being a healthier brownie but I will definitely build upon it and tweek it a little. :)

Thanks for the recipe!
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Did anyone else make these and feel like it had a really strong honey flavor? Just wondering. I'm thinking of making them with less honey next time.
  • jackflash007
    Options
    Thanks, will definitely try these..... :love:
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting...
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My Fiance and I love these brownies.. we also found a recipe of hers that is for Blondies as well... All really, insanely delicious!

Would you please share the "Blondies" recipe. I LOVEEE blond brownies.
    That would be great!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my, bump!!!!!!!!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
    Bump
  • lauranorth
    lauranorth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    olive oil??? Really? That just doesn't sound good.

On a funny side note. A few years ago my husband try to surprise me by making a brownie mix. The minute I walked in the house, I knew something was wrong. I tried one of the brownies and they tasted like french fries.

My husband, God bless him, had read "vegetable oil", had bypassed the bottle canola oil because he had never heard of such a vegetable, dug into the bowels of my pantry to find a jug labeled vegetable oil, which as it turns out was my fry oil. :noway: