How do you respond to dieting "confessionals"?

Options
13»

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    One of my coworkers just came over to my cube to say someone she knew ate oatmeal and lost weight so she was going to start eating oatmeal but she doesn’t like it. So then the others told her to add nuts, berries, milk, etc without mentioning calories.
    Of course, no one asked the person who has lost 98 lbs so I kept my mouth shut.

I've noticed this in some groups, too - that group members will take weight loss advice from anyone except the one who's lost weight and kept it off (and they know it). It's kinda hilarious.

Sometimes I am asked in that setting and when I say I log everything I eat, no exceptions, the feedback is almost always that it's too hard to do. I bite my tongue and don't say it's not hard to do for a few days just to get a sense for where you are at and the real problem is it is too revealing...

I get that too. My phone is like a body part. It's always with me. Just like almost everyone else I know. Put the food on the scale open MFP log the food. It takes 2 seconds longer.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    One of my coworkers just came over to my cube to say someone she knew ate oatmeal and lost weight so she was going to start eating oatmeal but she doesn’t like it. So then the others told her to add nuts, berries, milk, etc without mentioning calories.
    Of course, no one asked the person who has lost 98 lbs so I kept my mouth shut.

I've noticed this in some groups, too - that group members will take weight loss advice from anyone except the one who's lost weight and kept it off (and they know it). It's kinda hilarious.

Sometimes I am asked in that setting and when I say I log everything I eat, no exceptions, the feedback is almost always that it's too hard to do. I bite my tongue and don't say it's not hard to do for a few days just to get a sense for where you are at and the real problem is it is too revealing...

I get that too. My phone is like a body part. It's always with me. Just like almost everyone else I know. Put the food on the scale open MFP log the food. It takes 2 seconds longer.

People don't want to admit that it's actually very simple to do! I hear all the time that it's too much work, they don't want to weigh foods, they don't want to look up entries on the app....i always tell them that most of us have our phones with us all the time and that after doing it for a weeks it becomes second nature.