Recovering Carbaholic [Keto]

Options
1235»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oops, duplicating points. Will just quote instead.
    mmapags wrote: »
    Good luck reducing your intake of that non-essential macro nutrient.

Non-essential doesn't mean non-beneficial. Carbs are not needed to survive but, if you are acitve and get high intensity exercise on a regular basis, they can be very beneficial to thrive.

Personally, I'm all about thriving and not just surviving. Just sayin'....

The fact that a lot of essential micronutrients are shy and thus only come with their unessential carby friends to the food party doesn't help the argument either.

This.

Non-essential doesn't mean non-beneficial. Carbs are not needed to survive but, if you are acitve and get high intensity exercise on a regular basis, they can be very beneficial to thrive.

And only limited amounts of protein and fat are essential. If we were all sticking to only to essential amounts we would soon die of starvation.

And this.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The fact that a lot of essential micronutrients are shy and thus only come with their unessential carby friends to the food party doesn't help the argument either.

by that logic - doesn't it mean that their carby friends are essential because they encourage the shy mircos to show up?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the foods I used to overeat were high fat. Part of this was excess olive oil on things, part of it was that I'd eat cheese or nuts as a snack and overdo it (I love trying and buying different cheeses, even have a great book called The Cheese Bible, and live reasonably near a good cheese shop), and part was that I'd snack at work or emotionally eat when stressed and much of that was the same kinds of things "carb addicts" claim to be addicted to, which are also high fat. And part is that I love Indian food, Ethiopian food, going out to eat to some fun new (or new to me) restaurant and live in a city with a good restaurant scene, etc.

Never crossed my mind to deal with this by going low fat (in fact, I tend to do better on a diet if I have slightly more fat, as it fits my preferences better and I feel more satisfied, even though fat itself isn't sating for me). And if I did go low fat, I'd do it based on naturally low fat foods (most people I know these days who are low fat tend to be WFPB, and I have done plant-based Lents that ended up being low fat if I didn't make an effort to include in good sources of fat -- which these days I do).

I don't believe I've ever had a Snackwell or witnesses anyone actually eating a Snackwell; they seem more popular in lore than they ever were in reality, and pretty obviously no one REALLY thought low fat cookies were the ultimate in healthful eating. If people had been serious about healthful eating in a low fat way they'd have eaten more vegetables and legumes than the US diet included in the '90s (or at any recent time).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I added up all the carbs I ate today from fruit and vegetables alone. It came to a grand total of 84 grams. I must be a carb addict with that high number ;)

if that makes you one I have a problem. I had almost 500g of carbs the other day. but I had been busy 3 days straight and ran myself ragged with things that needed done.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Just out of curiosity I added up all the carbs I ate today from fruit and vegetables alone. It came to a grand total of 84 grams. I must be a carb addict with that high number ;)

if that makes you one I have a problem. I have almost 500g of carbs the other day. but I had been busy 3 days straight and ran myself ragged with things that needed done.

ditto - i had 480g yesterday....my daily average is like 380-480....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

if that makes you one I have a problem. I have almost 500g of carbs the other day. but I had been busy 3 days straight and ran myself ragged with things that needed done.

mine are usually over 200g a day. that doesnt count bread or grains most days either.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

mine are usually over 200g a day. that doesnt count bread or grains most days either.

mien is everything - yesterday is more heavier lean towards breads/grains rather than veg - but i aim for 40-50g fiber a day (came up short yesterday at 36g)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

mien is everything - yesterday is more heavier lean towards breads/grains rather than veg - but i aim for 40-50g fiber a day (came up short yesterday at 36g)

same here I have to have high fiber and some days its short too
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,926 MFP Staff
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hey all, please keep the OP's question in mind when replying. If you are going to pick this discussion apart and focus on the word addiction (which is not what this topic is about, make a new topic about addiction in debate).

Regards,
    Nova
    MFP Staff
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Which bit about the word reducing made you jump to the conclusion I was suggesting eliminating?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Which bit about the word reducing made you jump to the conclusion I was suggesting eliminating?

What bit of my post made you think i jumped to that conclusion?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Nova wrote: »
    Hey all, please keep the OP's question in mind when replying. If you are going to pick this discussion apart and focus on the word addiction (which is not what this topic is about, go here).

Regards,
    Nova
    MFP Staff

I don't get it... you split/directed everybody off to a closed and locked thread?

Sorry about that, I opened it for those interested.

In the future, if a debate rises in a help thread please start a new thread in the debate section instead of taking over the help thread. We want members to be able to get the answers they are looking for.

Thanks!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

if that makes you one I have a problem. I had almost 500g of carbs the other day. but I had been busy 3 days straight and ran myself ragged with things that needed done.

500 grams ..... Heck. That is impressive. I average around 200 grams a day. Was surprised to find almost half of that came from fruit and veg. Could make it even higher if I included popcorn though. I simply could not survive if fruit was limited to berries and avocado - neither could my budget.

Indania I am not even going to pretend to be a recovering carboholic ...... ever.