Best fitness tracker to track CICO?

Options
I’m looking to get a fitness tracker for my birthday next week so I can better track how many calories I burn while working out. I want one $150 or less, heart rate monitor, waterproof, and with a sleep tracker. Do you have any recommendations? Or, is this not the best way to track calories burned? I’ve read chest straps are best, but I’d like one I can wear all day on my wrist. Are they really that much better? I’m willing to buy both if it’s reasonable and not too far over my budget.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... while working out.

The key question is, what type of training do you do? Different types of training are measured in different ways.
    Or, is this not the best way to track calories burned?

In many circumstances it's of no more accuracy than just using time and percieved effort, but there is a massive industry in convincing people that they're essential.
  • marywilliams6212
    marywilliams6212 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’m currently doing CIZE and ChaLEAN Extreme. Both Beachbody. (Not following their diets, just counting calories tracking macros.) One is all cardio, the other is weightlifting with spurts of cardio mixed in. I’m also doing some light cardio at night. I just want to be able to get a better idea of what I’m burning so I know what my deficit is. I’ve been using what MFP gives me and then eating back half of those calories, but I want a bit better of an estimation if possible.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I’m currently doing CIZE and ChaLEAN Extreme.

Ok, I'm familiar with both. I would recommend just living them in MFP as circuit training, and reprising a portion as you're already doing. A fitness tracker I'd unlikely to give you a reliable, consistent, estimate.
  • marywilliams6212
    marywilliams6212 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar position. I got a Flex just to track ALL my steps (so I don't have to carry my phone everywhere) and was wondering if a tracker with a heart rate monitor and GPS might be more accurate. My research this week says the HRMs on wearable devices are not all that reliable--off by an average of like 23%. Some are better than others. I loved the HRM I had some years ago--a watch and chest strap combo--so I'm starting to think I might go back to that and just wear the strap all the time. It was so comfortable--and I had put off getting one for YEARS b/c I assumed it would be uncomfortable. I'm not sure that the HR would really make all that much difference in calculating my calorie burn during exercise; I can't remember enough to know if it did or didn't. BUT, if you want something that will accurately use your HR to track intensity of your workout, then consider something with a strap (you don't have to wear it all the time, and if the watch also tracks steps, you've got both things covered). Good luck, whatever you decide.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    I'm not sure that the HR would really make all that much difference in calculating my calorie burn during exercise;

For the activities the originator describes HR has no meaningful relationship with energy consumption.
  • Sel118
    Sel118 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap fitness tracker watch from Amazon to see if I liked having one, it was a non brand £25 watch that looks really like a fitbit alta. I love it and now I am looking into getting a better one (and one that looks a bit more stylish). I really like the heart rate tracker when doing workouts as it gets me working harder to get into the fat burning zone (i do the jillian michaels dvds, so bits of weight training mixed in with cardio and hiit). It definately helps to motivate me, I feel disappointed if after a workout I look at the chart on the app and my heart rate stayed in the blue zone for example. It also motivates me to get more active and do more steps. I like the look of the fitbit versa but just read an article saying that the hr is terribly inaccurate. But then I don't really know how accurate the one I'm using just now is. Garmin seems to be a reputable make but they look pretty chunky and I have small wrists. Would be good to hear from others that have watches with fairly accurate hr monitors. Either way I think these fitness tracker watches are great for motivation. You could always try getting a watch first and if you feel it's not accurate enough start saving for a chest strap. I think moov do head straps which are meant to be accurate too.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Sel118 wrote: »
    I got a cheap fitness tracker watch from Amazon to see if I liked having one, it was a non brand £25 watch that looks really like a fitbit alta. I love it and now I am looking into getting a better one (and one that looks a bit more stylish). I really like the heart rate tracker when doing workouts as it gets me working harder to get into the fat burning zone (i do the jillian michaels dvds, so bits of weight training mixed in with cardio and hiit). It definately helps to motivate me, I feel disappointed if after a workout I look at the chart on the app and my heart rate stayed in the blue zone for example. It also motivates me to get more active and do more steps. I like the look of the fitbit versa but just read an article saying that the hr is terribly inaccurate. But then I don't really know how accurate the one I'm using just now is. Garmin seems to be a reputable make but they look pretty chunky and I have small wrists. Would be good to hear from others that have watches with fairly accurate hr monitors. Either way I think these fitness tracker watches are great for motivation. You could always try getting a watch first and if you feel it's not accurate enough start saving for a chest strap. I think moov do head straps which are meant to be accurate too.

I have the Versa and I think it's pretty accurate. I test it against my actual hr by taking it myself a few times a week and it matches up