What do you think on Slim Fast?

Options
123457»

Replies

• angiemotto
    angiemotto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there OP, I actually like Slimfast ready prepared shakes, I always keep a few chilled in the fridge and some in my car . I have a very busy lifestyle and live in a rural area, so I dont always have access to huge supermarkets and I dont own a blender, not sure why but I dont. So....... I like the fact I can grab a shake and toss it in my bag for emergencies.

Why would you need access to a huge supermarket to buy real food? I live out in the danged boonies and I still manage to eat healthily.

As long as you eat a ton of veggies and fruits, incorporate other healthy foods, drink lots of water and exercise daily, there isn't anything unhealthy about adding Slim fast into your diet. You may feel a certain way about the shakes, but I have made it work. I love my diet plan, I'm full of energy. And due to many decisions, one being drinking shakes such as Slim fast, I am now not in a unhealthy range of weight (think I was obese for my short height) but 15 pounds of being my goal weight of 135 which is considered healthy for my age and height. I am commenting towards the comments of saying slim fast= unhealthy. What works for some may not work for others. But it doesn't mean its wrong or unhealthy.
  • GymRatWannabe
    GymRatWannabe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't feel picked on, I just think that a lot of the people posting here, as I so politely said, have a very limited world view. Present company included, of course. And I'll continue to be as polite as possible.

Clearly, you have a great deal of difficulty thinking outside of your little teeny tiny box. :) Maybe there's a pill or exercise that can help you with that. I'm not sure! :)

"On the flip side, its okay for her to like it because you did? Because you don't have the time management to make your breakfast the night before?

I am a nursing student. I have clinicals at random hours, and often I get very little sleep between my clinicals and lectures. I still manage to find the time before I crash for the night to shake a couple of things together in my sip-bottle before I head to bed.

I often don't have access to a fridge during my day. I use a cold-pack lunchbox and slap a shake in there. They sell awesome blender bottles for fairly cheap that can do the same thing.

Whatever reason you use to justify blowing money like that, hey, rock on. But don't get all white-knighty here because you feel picked on."
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    A member of my family has recommended me Slim Fast as it helped her loose pounds when she was on a diet. I've just been on their website and checked prices, I could afford the diet plan every week (minus the snacks - don't need them!) ..have any of you tried it? And can I please ask NOT to comment saying "you don't need slim fast just buy fruit or veg" or some other annoying comment :noway: ...I'm only asking for peoples opinions on the plan/products :-) thanks. Oh also I've been on the forever living detox plan it's coming to the end of my 9 days and their products are 4x the price of slim fast ..was hoping to carry on the programme but it's something I can't afford every week! Seems to be working me the job so I doubt Slim Fast wouldn't work the same way! Thanks for reading :flowerforyou:

I did it once, wasn't impressed. I couldn't stand the flavor, and I was ALWAYS hungry. I'd recommend finding a good-quality protein shake as a supplement, not a meal replacement ... I found it helps me control cravings when used after exercising. The Slim-Fast plan is OK short-term, but long term not so much
  • GymRatWannabe
    GymRatWannabe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that you're asking the very special people on this thread to imagine an existence outside of their own realm of experience. That's not really their thing. There are names for people like this, but I'm being too polite today to use them :)

Sure I have access to real food, BUT my nearest store is quite some distance from where I live and so I only go food shopping once a week. I find having slimfast shakes convenient as ive already outlined for this reason. For daytrips, for weekends, for the fact they live in a cupboard and dont go off for months, for the fact I can stockpile them and if I run out of fresh food due to always being out at work and not always finding the time to go shopping I know I have them in the house, for the fact when I get in tired I dont have local supermarkets, I dont have any takeaway places, Im sometimes too tired to do anything except fall asleep on the couch, I dont always want to cook ,Which part of this cant you grasp? so you live in the sticks and eat healthy, bully for you, really. For the record the area I live in doesnt even have a farm shop or a store for around 25 miles in either direction. And no, I dont have the time to keep chickens, cows or grow my own. Im too busy earning a living to faff about
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that you're asking the very special people on this thread to imagine an existence outside of their own realm of experience. That's not really their thing. There are names for people like this, but I'm being too polite today to use them :)

Sure I have access to real food, BUT my nearest store is quite some distance from where I live and so I only go food shopping once a week. I find having slimfast shakes convenient as ive already outlined for this reason. For daytrips, for weekends, for the fact they live in a cupboard and dont go off for months, for the fact I can stockpile them and if I run out of fresh food due to always being out at work and not always finding the time to go shopping I know I have them in the house, for the fact when I get in tired I dont have local supermarkets, I dont have any takeaway places, Im sometimes too tired to do anything except fall asleep on the couch, I dont always want to cook ,Which part of this cant you grasp? so you live in the sticks and eat healthy, bully for you, really. For the record the area I live in doesnt even have a farm shop or a store for around 25 miles in either direction. And no, I dont have the time to keep chickens, cows or grow my own. Im too busy earning a living to faff about

Between the two of you, you have not given any reasons why Slim-Fast is good for weight-loss or a healthy lifestyle, but you have given numerous excuses for not eating a healthy variety of foods. Convenience does not trump nutrition.

I live in the country, its 30 miles in any direction for shopping, and I buy my food 2 weeks in advance. I still have managed to cook for myself, and my family, in a way that I can lose weight and gain strength without breaking the budget. Time management is key. Caring for my health is not faffing about.

Snark and snide is not being polite, in anybody's book, and you do not wear it well.

Cheers.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    This one is ONLY MY OPINION - not looking to start a heated debated.

I love slimfast chocolate - especially when used to make a shake with some ice cream! Other than that, I'm not a big fan of fad ways to lose weight. You'll often read on this site: lose weight starts in the kitchen. Eating needs to be monitored and disciplined. I'm not one to cut out sweets - chocolate ice cream is my downfall. But where I used to sit with and kill a half gallon, I'll now have a cup... after working out for 90 mins. I avoid buying sweets/snacks and keeping them in the house (almost impossible with kids), and have increased my intake of veggies and fruit. Keeping away from processed foods and watching your portions also helps. Finally, drinking 16 oz of cold water five minutes before a meal does wonders for curbing an appetite.

If something is important or valuable... its never easy. If its made easy... its not going to work long term. LOL - I just got back from church so I apologize if I'm sounding preachy. Hope you all have a great day!
  • GangstaMa
    Options
    I used the meal replacement shakes after I had my daughter and it worked but for snacks I just had fruit or veggies :) ...if u read the ingredients it's not the best ..clean eating was better than shakes w stuff u can't pronounce in them
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    I used the meal replacement shakes after I had my daughter and it worked but for snacks I just had fruit or veggies :) ...if u read the ingredients it's not the best ..clean eating was better than shakes w stuff u can't pronounce in them

^^^ truth
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like the shakes. I haven't had any for awhile, but I would have one for breakfast just to get me to my break at work for awhile. I would also by the Walmart version because it was cheaper.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Run for the hills. That stuff is designed to run so low-cal you're virtually guaranteed to be back in a year and continue fattening their pocketbooks.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I did slim fast for a couple of no the back when I very first started trying to lose weight and it was miserable. Just eat real food.
  • 50marathons
    50marathons Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a weight loss shake as part or your daily calorie allowance. There are many choices in foods. This is just one of the many choices. If your calorie limit is 2000 per day for example there is absolutely nothing wrong with some of these calories coming in the form of a weight loss shake. I personally like to use this product as a quick meal prior to a long distance run. Obviously I do not starve myself with this product. It's just a choice that contains 35 % of most daily values in vitamins and minerals. You are not going to get that from a hot dog. It's just a choice.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Slim fast is an important part of your lifestyle change. :drinker:
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have tried the chocolate and strawberry Slimfast shakes before and absolutely hated them, I found that I was tired very quickly and was starving. I only lasted a few days. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

I started Celebrity Slim Rapid shakes one week ago and I absolutely love them. They recommend you have three shakes a day with skim milk and then a healthy meal for dinner. However, I find that they keep me full long enough so I only have two shakes daily, one for breakfast and lunch. The vanilla flavour is too sweet for me as it tastes like I'm just drinking melted ice-cream, but the chocolate shake just tastes like Choc Chill, yum.

I find the shakes have stopped my cravings for bread and sugars (although I'm sure there are sugars in the drinks), and I find myself drinking much more water, whereas my usual thought would have first been - I'm hungry (bad habits).

This is only a temporary solution for me, and I know that I will need to transition back to foods in time. I feel as if the shakes will help me do that, as they have already given me so much more energy, I sleep better through the night, and I just generally feel better. I had an off day yesterday (without shakes) and I felt full on quite a smaller portion that normal.

I hope this doesn't start a debate with anyone, I just thought I would give my two cents for the OP. If anyone is doing one of the shake programs and would love a friend, plea add me. :)
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    DON"T DO IT!!

this is the ingredients of milk chocolate protein shake:

MALTODEXTRIN, SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), GUM ARABIC, HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL, CELLULOSE GEL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, BUTTERMILK POWDER,SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, DEXTROSE, CARRAGEENAN, SALT, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENER), ASPARTAME. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, BIOTIN, COPPER GLUCONATE, FOLIC ACID, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, SODIUM SELENITE, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K1), POTASSIUM IODIDE, CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3), AND CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12). SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND A NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENER. MAY CONTAIN WHEAT . PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Ingredients are listed from highest quantity to lowest.

Maltodextrin is HIGHEST WTF

Maltodextrin is an oligosaccharide that is used as a food additive. It is produced from starch by partial hydrolysis and is usually found as a white hygroscopic spray-dried powder.[1] Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose, and might be either moderately sweet or almost flavorless. It is commonly used for the production of sodas and candy. It can also be found as an ingredient in a variety of other processed foods.

and then sugar

DO NOT DO IT!!!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Why would you people resurrect this thread from it's grave after three months? Let it lie.

Rigger
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm reading all the negative comments about Slimfast on here. I do drink 1 Slimfast a day during the week because I don't like to eat first thing in the morning but you have to have something. I don't think 1 a day is going to promote unhealthy eating. My Dr. said they are fine to drink. Your getting in milk, vitamins, some fiber and protein. As far as the flavor they have changed a lot over the years. I like the Royal chocolate and the Vanilla. I would never follow their whole plan tho. I know myself. It would just make me fell deprived and we know what happens when we feel that way. Just something to think about.

You do NOT have to have something to eat in the morning. If you do not like eating first thing..... don't.