124»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    43Ninebark wrote: »
    I don't know if there are any benefits to it, but I drink about 1 tbsp mixed with a cup of warm water, bit of ground cayenne pepper, bit of fresh/ground ginger, and a bit of lemon juice/zest.

That actually sounds good. I'll have to try it.

It's the "formula" for the "Master Cleanse" which was never actually proven to have any health benefits.

There was a classic thread a few years ago about the "master cleanse" where a poster related an experience where he woke up and had a rather explosive accident. In bed. On his girlfriend.

It is a shame that cautionary tale has been lost.

That one starred in my nightmares for ages!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I really can't think of any reasons beside "I like the taste" for consuming acidic things.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    There are so many things like ACV and green tea extract, raspberry ketones, detoxes, cleanses, etc. out there, and I’m now on my second round with the bariatric people because I lost 125-150 on my own and gained nearly all of it back because I opted not to have the surgery....this time I’m not making that mistake.

Anyway, I remember asking them (at the surgeon’s office) on one of their group nites - about all the cleanses, detoxes etc. that everyone keeps talking about, and I never hear them say anything about it. The answer was pretty much what I expected - if they thought there were any value in it, they’d say something about recommending it - they don’t.

I’m not big on vinegar anyway - so I’ve decided not to inflict that bleckiness on my tastebuds or do possible damage to my teeth.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    jrochest wrote: »
    Lord Byron apparently lived on vinegar and potatoes in an effort to lose weight, at one point.

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that Lord Byron once tried to enroll his pet bear at Cambridge.

Among many, many other things. And here we think that celebrity culture is a product of the social media age :D

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    theuber85 wrote: »
    Hopefully the link works for you all. I don't buy into the weight loss thing with ACV at all, but there are definitely many more reasons to consume acidic beverages/foods.

That being said, since I woke up with the charlie horse from hell this morning, I am going to try mixing 2 tablespoons of ACV with a half a tablespoon of lemon juice in 4 oz of water 2 times a day for a week. When I start back on keto, the first week I always wake up with charlie horses, so I will report back if you'd like to let you know if I see any benefit or improvement at all.

https://youtu.be/XeHl5Y7m1xM

Electrolyte supplements or even just increasing sodium are a much more pleasant way of stopping cramping
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the link works for you all. I don't buy into the weight loss thing with ACV at all, but there are definitely many more reasons to consume acidic beverages/foods.

That being said, since I woke up with the charlie horse from hell this morning, I am going to try mixing 2 tablespoons of ACV with a half a tablespoon of lemon juice in 4 oz of water 2 times a day for a week. When I start back on keto, the first week I always wake up with charlie horses, so I will report back if you'd like to let you know if I see any benefit or improvement at all.

My mother did it by drinking some tonic water daily. singingflutelady's advice is pretty spot-on too.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    jrochest wrote: »
    Lord Byron apparently lived on vinegar and potatoes in an effort to lose weight, at one point.

Lord Byron was British. We always have vinegar on our chips* though to be fair he often sneaked a nice bit of battered haddock for him and his bear to with it while they were revising for the Cambridge entrance exams.

*I mean British Chips which in the US are called French Fries not Chips which is what the US call Crisps.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Electrolyte supplements or even just increasing sodium are a much more pleasant way of stopping cramping

Also potassium. :)
  • singingflutelady
    edited June 2018
    Options

Also potassium. :)

Yup that's an electrolyte. For me muscles cramps are my first sign of magnesium deficiency
  • singingflutelady
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Though acv probably tastes much better than liquid potassium (barf)
  • snickerscharlie
    edited June 2018
    Options

I take mine in coated pill form. (APO K) Tasteless. B)
  • singingflutelady
    edited June 2018
    Options

I take mine in coated pill form. (APO K) Tasteless. B)

I usually do but i have gastroparesis which causes a lot of vomiting and an ileostomy where lose a lot of fluid so often deficient. When in hospital any doctor who is not my GI will order the liquid (which I need to take 3x a day) instead of the IV thinking they are doing me a favour (IV potassium burns horribly when infused) but I much rather the IV
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I used to get charley horses frequently, but no longer now that I am taking calcium, potassium, and magnesium

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/muscle-cramp/symptoms-causes/syc-20350820

...Mineral depletion. Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps. Diuretics — medications often prescribed for high blood pressure — also can deplete these minerals.