Apple Cidar Vinegar

Options

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I love how ACV refuses to die despite being complete codswollop!

It's a classic case of a small and badly conducted study by a company which produces ACV being completely misinterpreted by the media as a quick fix.

Japanese paper published in 2009 "Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Kondo T1, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T."

However, it was conducted at the Central Research Institute of the Mizkan Group Corporation. You'll never guess what they produce, market and sell. Yep you guessed it Apple Cider Vinegar.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I love how ACV refuses to die despite being complete codswollop!

It's a classic case of a small and badly conducted study by a company which produces ACV being completely misinterpreted by the media as a quick fix.

Japanese paper published in 2009 "Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Kondo T1, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T."

However, it was conducted at the Central Research Institute of the Mizkan Group Corporation. You'll never guess what they produce, market and sell. Yep you guessed it Apple Cider Vinegar.

the ACV myth has been around a lot longer than 2009, at least as far back as the 1970's..
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    crisberube wrote: »
    How many of you drink ACV everyday? If you do does it help with weight loss and general well-being? What is your favorite combination of ACV mixture? Im thinking of starting to drink it but looking for input

Try eating 5 hamburgers, 2 hot dogs, a pint of ice cream and drink apple cider vinegar....let me know if the apple cider vinegar worked....of course I am being sarcastic....It's all about calories, apple cider vinegar won't do *kitten* if the rest of your diet is garbage. If you must take apple cider vinegar, it would be because you enjoy it on your salads (or food) or for whatever reason. Apple cider vinegar on it's own won't do anything. Not saying that it doesn't have benefits, but if you're relying it for just weight loss alone, you will be sadly disappointed.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use it in my BBQ sauce - especially good on pork steaks & ribs.
  • Shadow87
    Shadow87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use it for the psoriasis on my scalp but wouldn't drink it even if it did help lose weight...bleh
  • MammaGulley
    MammaGulley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why would people drink that crap when they know it doesn't work? Stop the woo!! Pseudoscience kills.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I've been mulling the ACV (and other weight loss woo) over lately, because of all the threads (sometimes 2 or 3 on the same page!) I don't think some of the proponents think you can eat all the foods and lose weight, I think the thought process may go something like this:

Set MFP to lose 2 lbs a week (regardless of the number of lbs to lose) Eat that many calories
    ACV may give a weight loss a boost so drink it and lose a few more ounces a week
    Eating celery may burn more calories than it contains, so eat it and lose a few more ounces a week
    [Insert fad fat burner] may give a weight loss boost so take it daily and lose a few more ounces a week
    Use a few more magical woo products and lose a few more ounces a week
    Voila! Lose 3 lbs a week with the same deficit that would cause the loss of 2 lbs per week!

At least this is my thinking when I was in my 20's. I understood calorie counting, and did it when I wanted to lose weight, but didn't really understand energy balance and really bought into the magical weight loss tips. Everything I knew about dieting I learned from women's magazines, and there was no internet to present alternate points of view backed up by science. I'm truly grateful I am so much better educated now.

The real problem with this thinking is that adding up all those ounces means they don't have to effectively or accurately track calories.

When in fact what it actually means is that those ounces only matter if everything else is already lined up perfectly.

IF/Meal timing/carb cycling/keto/etc have a huge impact for weight class and BF% competitive athletes who are tracking exercise and dietary calories to the third decimal point, they have no measureable impact for someone who has 80 lbs to lose and is eyeballing their portions.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I've been mulling the ACV (and other weight loss woo) over lately, because of all the threads (sometimes 2 or 3 on the same page!) I don't think some of the proponents think you can eat all the foods and lose weight, I think the thought process may go something like this:

Set MFP to lose 2 lbs a week (regardless of the number of lbs to lose) Eat that many calories
    ACV may give a weight loss a boost so drink it and lose a few more ounces a week
    Eating celery may burn more calories than it contains, so eat it and lose a few more ounces a week
    [Insert fad fat burner] may give a weight loss boost so take it daily and lose a few more ounces a week
    Use a few more magical woo products and lose a few more ounces a week
    Voila! Lose 3 lbs a week with the same deficit that would cause the loss of 2 lbs per week!

At least this is my thinking when I was in my 20's. I understood calorie counting, and did it when I wanted to lose weight, but didn't really understand energy balance and really bought into the magical weight loss tips. Everything I knew about dieting I learned from women's magazines, and there was no internet to present alternate points of view backed up by science. I'm truly grateful I am so much better educated now.

The real problem with this thinking is that adding up all those ounces means they don't have to effectively or accurately track calories.

When in fact what it actually means is that those ounces only matter if everything else is already lined up perfectly.

IF/Meal timing/carb cycling/keto/etc have a huge impact for weight class and BF% competitive athletes who are tracking exercise and dietary calories to the third decimal point, they have no measureable impact for someone who has 80 lbs to lose and is eyeballing their portions.

Oh, I absolutely agree! Whether or not anything may work (in the realm of a few calories per day), it's absolutely meaningless in the context of daily weight fluctuations and CICO tracking inaccuracies. And the woo articles always present the "information" in the format of "may aid in weight loss", "animal studies have shown" and "encouraging results" when they bother to footnote. There's never even one definitive, legitimate study that shows actual repeatable results.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    also most acid reflux is not low acid. while low acid can cause acid reflux, it is consider abnormal
    livers, kidneys, and lymphatic systems do not need help detoxing your body (typically)