A MESSAGE FOR ANYONE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT ESPECIALLY THE NEWBIES!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I do see a lot of people reporting that they are eating 1200 or less. For the most part, that is probably too low. So, I get your point. Some people have a low BMR and TDEE even with being active and cant lose on higher amounts. I'm 5'0". My TDEE is 1450 on a more sedentary (4000-5000 step day) and 1750 on 10000ish steps per day. So, I wont lose much if any on 1600-1800 like you will. Everyone is different.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 i love your guide. Thank you very much
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    mkculs wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »

Is that true? I am 5'5" 175 lbs with a 1 lb/ week goal, lightly active and i have a 1270 goal. I usually get a couple hundred extra for steps, but if i don't move it docks calories ( no lower than 1200).

I worry I am going to get over hungry and binge, but so far i can stay close to the target without getting very hungry. My logging is not perfect but i am losing 11/2-2 calories/week.

I Don't understand the OP, that you lose when you eat more calories. I just think you can be reasonable and still get 1200 calories as a goal

Hi, Lori! Something is "off" if you put in for a 1 lb loss and are losing 1.5-2 lbs a week (I think that is what you mean). If it is working for you, that's great--if you aren't too hungry and have enough energy. Otherwise, it looks like you could increase your base calories and lose 1 lb week. Maybe you are more active than you think, or than MFP thinks :) In any case, you are clearly creating a deficit of more than 3500 cal/week at your rate of loss. Good job and good luck!

Thank you. I do have days when i go under, but i was thinking i was forgetting to log something or underestimating. I feel fine.

Still, at 5'4" and 132 lbs, 1.5 to 2 lbs a week seems overly aggressive, and thou should probably take one part of OP's advice and eat more
  • scarlett624kh
    scarlett624kh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me it might be true. My husband set to lose .5lbs a week. I set out to lose at least 2lbs a week. He lost 20lbs within 6 months (he has an active job also) and I lost 5 and gained 20lbs more after giving up. He thinks the answer is exercise and not setting your goals too high.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    For me it might be true. My husband set to lose .5lbs a week. I set out to lose at least 2lbs a week. He lost 20lbs within 6 months (he has an active job also) and I lost 5 and gained 20lbs more after giving up. He thinks the answer is exercise and not setting your goals too high.

A sustainable plan that keeps you in a calorie deficit for YOU is the answer. If you gave up and gained then you didn't make it sustainable. Better to lose weight steadily over time, making small changes that you can stick with to form better habits than to go hard and fast at it, end up starving and go back to all the things you did that got you overweight in the first place.
  • Lola_Mercury
    Lola_Mercury Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    MFP usually says to eat 1200 calories a day but in my opinion, unless youre already 120 pounds that is WAY TOO LOW. I started around 187lb eating 1200 cals a day and working out vigorously, my body clung to the weight and it resulted in me only losing 7 pounds in 4 months. I was exhausted, malnourished and discouraged, all that hard work for barely a budge.

Now, years later and much wiser Ive listened to my body, I eat 1500 BARE MINIMUM and usually 1600-1800 sometimes more sometimes less and I'm losing average 6lb a month. I only walk for 30 mins 5 times a week as exercise and I eat pretty much what I want within reason but try to stick to the healthy choices.

IF YOURE DOING EVERYTHING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND ITS NOT WORKING, OR YOU FEEL EXHAUSTED AND STARVING AND LOSING WEIGHT AT A SNAILS PACE, I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU EAT MORE!!!

Eating more, making healthy choices and not really restricting one specific thing has been working wonders for me. Not looking or asking for advice, just want to help new people who think they have to starve themselves or even aim for 1200 calories a day. Its not good for ANYONE to eat that little and its not realistically sustainable!!

GOOD DAY!!

When I first started out on MFP I stuck to the 1200 cals a day. I ate the same things most days as I couldn't fit most things I wanted to eat in the plan. I was so scared to up my calories thinking I'll never lose weight if I eat more. I did lose the weight on 1200 a day, but put it all back on again.
    This time I'm eating more around 1400 cals a day, more when I exercise and still loosing the same 2lb a week I was loosing before on 1200 a day. Plus I'm eating more foods I love, a wider variety of foods and enjoying it.

SO HAPPY to hear this!! Best of luck to you!!!