Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    How many minutes a day are you guys practicing handstands? And do you do 7 days a week? Can you grease the groove with handstands?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've practiced pretty much every day since we started this. Not a long time, usually between lifting sets or at the end of my workout. I did just two measly handstands after my upper body workout today because my arms were shot.

Before this I would go a couple of months with practicing every day, then several months with nothing. Needless to say, I never got very far. The consistent practice is what really helps move the needle. I'll also just occasionally practice in the living room during commercials if I'm watching TV or while waiting on the timer if I'm cooking something.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    I've practiced pretty much every day since we started this. Not a long time, usually between lifting sets or at the end of my workout. I did just two measly handstands after my upper body workout today because my arms were shot.

Before this I would go a couple of months with practicing every day, then several months with nothing. Needless to say, I never got very far. The consistent practice is what really helps move the needle. I'll also just occasionally practice in the living room during commercials if I'm watching TV or while waiting on the timer if I'm cooking something.

I think my problem has been not sticking with the daily practice. I forget a day and then the next and it just turns into a week then a few weeks. Maybe I'll put a reminder on my phone.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Yep, pretty much every day too. 5 mins tops. If I'm not in the mood I tell myself I'll just do one today! Sometimes that's it, but usually I find that leads to at least a couple more efforts. :smile:
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Well done @ContraryMaryMary. My crow is non-awesome.

When I first started the challenge which was initially just for a month it was every day. Then it turned into a couple of times a week when I had an actual handstand class.

This month it has been a daily practice again as I decided to set it is a challenge to myself to do it daily for a year just to see what would happen and record it on instagram to keep me honest. It helps that I joined a new gymnastic strength studio which i go to 5 times a week and even when it is not a specific handstand class, the other classes invariably incorporate hand-balancing as it it is a good strength and mobility builder. It does make a difference but it would struggle to be consistent if I didn't have these things going on.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I tried something new today. L-sit to shoulder stand on the parallettes. Man, it fries your middle back! I usually never get sore there.

https://youtu.be/1LmhcBbY2_M
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Very impressive @mom23mangos. I can do an l *kitten* and shoulder stand but only separately not as a flow.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Nice work guys.
    Today(yesterday), we worked on dolphin and aligning to push up. It just feels so unsafe even though I know it's not.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hi to all the newbies!

So far in January I've worked towards handstands 5 minutes every day (actually daily since June 2018 when this thread started). This seems to be a sustainable practice amount for me.

Because I run a lot "working towards handstands" means some days just stretching my tired muscles and strengthening my core. This thread taught me about hollow body position which has really helped some of my holds get longer.

In January my best holds have been 9 seconds, 12 seconds, and 14 seconds twice. I use the wall as a spotter but I'm getting better and sometimes don't need it at all. I occasionally do free handstands, but not often because I've pulled a muscle too often when bailing out to make it worthwhile.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    11 seconds today.

https://youtu.be/-PFYI1xO-ZI
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I really like this thread!
    You are all amazing.
    I’m back at it now. Got 10 seconds off the wall the other day. I see a difference putting more weight fingertips vs palms, but I’m still building strength in my hands.
    @MommyLifts3 I was doing GTG with handstands. It seemed to work well. I’m going to start again.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    I feel super excited because at tonight's handstand class i got put into the "intermediate" gang for working on drills - and they were hard drills. It is nice to get external confirmation that i am making progress (and I really have this month - huzzah for daily practice and a new teaching style).

@wanderingarcher - my wrists always hurt after handstand class. I walk around between tries like i am t-rex. Kind of like when you have over done it weightlifting on arm day. It takes time to build up strength and remember to do warm up drills for your hands and wrists to avoid injuries.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I feel super excited because at tonight's handstand class i got put into the "intermediate" gang for working on drills - and they were hard drills. It is nice to get external confirmation that i am making progress (and I really have this month - huzzah for daily practice and a new teaching style).

@wanderingarcher - my wrists always hurt after handstand class. I walk around between tries like i am t-rex. Kind of like when you have over done it weightlifting on arm day. It takes time to build up strength and remember to do warm up drills for your hands and wrists to avoid injuries.

That’s really exciting! Congratulations!
    Thanks for the encouragement.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    So, I've been getting my handstand practice in everyday the last few days and I already see a bit more progress. I think I'm going to try and practice 3x a day just for a few minutes at a time.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting here, but I have been continuing with practice! I got 12 seconds a few days ago, but it only happened once, so I almost feel like it was a fluke. Still, it's really nice to see any gains!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I haven't been posting here, but I have been continuing with practice! I got 12 seconds a few days ago, but it only happened once, so I almost feel like it was a fluke. Still, it's really nice to see any gains!

That's great! My consistency still sucks. I can get fairly long holds, but it's still probably a 1 in 5 kickup ratio that I'll actually stick it. The more and more you practice, the smaller that ratio will become. It used to be like 1 in 20 for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've been practicing too but i haven't had great improvement.
  • awashi10
    awashi10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    im in
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Still practising too. Managing to breathe a bit while I'm up now...😁