Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @tropicalchicy - I struggle with doing an l-shape on the wall as my hamstrings were super tight. It is actually easier to keep a straighter line and just move your hands forward then gradually walk your hands closer to the wall. As I have gotten stronger I have gotten closer and closer to the wall.

Lots of handstand drills in my contortion class tonight. Of course I was humbled again about my abilities as will I was working on my handstand drills someone was doing handstand push-up drills on the "cane" apparatus. But it said person is also a circus performer rather than a middle aged lady with some strange hobbies :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so i tried a few different ways and feel most comfortable with the kick up

i may try some crow

here is where i am now. up. balanced for a few seconds, not aligned

hijocj9espgn.png
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Count me in . . I definitely have to try this. Looks really hard but I love a challenge.
  • tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks @TiisTitanium :) I might focus on wall handstands for now. I have to ask , are you a dancer? You seem to do a lot of interesting (fun) classes.

• TiisTitanium
    Options
    @tropicalchicy - I am legal professional in the mining industry by day, wannabe aerial artiste by night.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Count me in . . I definitely have to try this. Looks really hard but I love a challenge.

@rodmelching Great! Don't forget to come back and tell us how you go. Good luck!
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Yes @rodmelching - keep us posted.

Day 5 done. Just a quick 5 minute muck around of kicking up. It was between sets of Stronglifts so I was taking it pretty easy especially I have an hour long hand balancing class tomorrow so need my shoulders to be somewhat alive.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Looking good @ContraryMaryMary - you look nice and straight to me. Only tips I can offer is to remember to try and push the floor away and pull your abs in like you have been punched in the stomach.

Just back from my handbalancing class and everything is sore. It is funny for a hand balancing class we don't actually practice free standing handstands that much. A lot of it is conditioning and drills for the press style handstand which is and absolute killer for the abs. Sadly I can't report on a massive leap forward in my handstand ability but with everything it is a daily incremental improvement. I saw a good comment on insta the other day that sums it up. Daily practice is like a sheet of paper. A single sheet feels like there is no difference, when you have 365 sheets there is a massive difference.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it takes me and my students a minute or two to get ourselves up on the wall.
    dogs keep knocking me over. might have time tonight at the studio

everyone is so impressive. keep up the good work
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Great job @tropicalchicy ! And you look super straight @ContraryMaryMary. I'm very jealous of your flexibility.

Life got in the way of me practicing the past couple of days, but I did get a session in this morning. Did some facing the wall drill, trying to get aligned. Even facing the wall it's very difficult for me. So I decided to do more of a hollowback to try to force my shoulders open. It did actually help, so I think I'm going to spend a lot more time in that position to try to get more flexible.

eqviciawq9cr.jpg

• Orphia
    Options
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    It is so great seeing everyone getting into it.

@mom23mangos - whatever works for you is my motto as there is no point in doing something that cause pain. I like to play around with all the different handstand types just because it is fun as much as anything.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    More hand standing today after my run and a little yoga. Loving this challenge - so much fun - even if I’m yet to see any improvement. Shoulders are a bit tired from yesterday’s efforts so I threw in a few headstands to help me with the feel of being in the right body position upside down. Happy to see I can hold a headstand indefinitely - well, until my head gets sore, which is about 30 seconds or so at present. A thicker mat on the floor may help!!
  • Orphia
    Options
    More hand standing today after my run and a little yoga. Loving this challenge - so much fun - even if I’m yet to see any improvement. Shoulders are a bit tired from yesterday’s efforts so I threw in a few headstands to help me with the feel of being in the right body position upside down. Happy to see I can hold a headstand indefinitely - well, until my head gets sore, which is about 30 seconds or so at present. A thicker mat on the floor may help!!

Yep, 30 seconds or thereabouts, same here!! :smiley:

I do like how headstands let you practice holding weight on your hands, and feel a bit like when you're in a handstand.

It's funny how your weight can shift from hurting your head to hurting your hands!

Good idea doing the handstands after running. The run would warm your legs and hips up, ready for kicking up.

I've been doing my practice before my run or walk, because I'm loving it and can't wait that long! :smiley: LOL Need to be a bit more prudent.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    I am so happy to see the handstand fun spreading.

Just small amounts on handstand practice today as it was trapeze/silks class so I needed to keep some fuel in the shoulder tank as otherwise i would suffer at both so I just practiced between trapeze sets. Little bits often soon adds up though.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Yes, TT, I think my headstand was better today!

Day 8.
    5 minutes wrist exercises, then held a headstand for 1 minute including split legs for part of it.

https://youtu.be/kh5z0OpqiCk

Sunday is my big run. After that I will get back to handstands. Just don't want any risks before then. Doing headstands is definitely part of the plan, though!