Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I watched a video yesterday and it said to hold core, butt, etc tight, like balancing a spoon upright on your hand. You can't balance a sock upright.

That would be the video I watched that told me to put the weight under my knuckles. Still working on that as it requires more flexibility in the wrists than resting on the heels of the hands.

Haha, yes, same vid. That knuckle thing is hard!
    The core and arm pushing things both really helped today though.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I think one of mine today was 10 seconds!! So happy!!!

https://youtu.be/_p406YrgAbA
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - you are doing so good!!!! And such beautiful form. I'm totally jealous.

@Tallawah_ - nice going! Believe me, mine is the ugliest of the bunch. I had given up on practicing handstands until I could get perfect form, but realized I would rather just work in my balance where it is (ugly and all) and improve on my form over time.

I worked on my freestanding kick ups today and managed to hold for about 7s. BUT I've realized to get in a position I can balance I have to keep my arms bent and basically support myself with my biceps/triceps. My legs are all over the place too.

https://youtu.be/IHLzUYW9efU
  • Orphia
    Options
    @mom23mangos Wow, good balance!

@ContraryMaryMary Great videos!

Loving this thread! This challenge was just what I needed this month.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A nice article for the lovers of crows and cranes amongst us
  • tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everyone is looking great! Good to see some new faces too :)

@ContraryMaryMary - thanks for the videos. I worked through the exercises from the second as I'm still working on kicking up.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options

https://gmb.io/crow-pose/

Using the app is obviously not so awesome for linking stuff

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    i've officially added handstand work to my aerial yoga classes. it will help us in the class all so yay.

i tried walking my hands to the wall and i got there but when i needed to bail that was terrifying. i did the L handstand prep and we do it in the fabric to. can't ever seem to get the opposite leg off the wall or fabric.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Oh man, I tried to add in handstand practice at the end of my workout today after I had done 50 pullups and back lever practice. Not happening. I'll try again tonight when I'm fresher.
  • Orphia
    Options

https://gmb.io/crow-pose/

That's really good!

19 Jun – 5 mins handstand drills inc 10+ second handstand without wall

My first handstand today was awesome! I went into it straight away and held it for at least 10 seconds without needing the wall.

The rest of my practice wasn't as good, and I'd forgotten to press record on the video, LOL.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Had great success with the L handstand today. Thrilled. Finally feel I'm making progress. Now if only I knew how to add video...
  • Heltinne
    Heltinne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hell yea! Joining in late but hopefully I'll make it on time. Good job everyone!
  • Orphia
    Options
    Had great success with the L handstand today. Thrilled. Finally feel I'm making progress. Now if only I knew how to add video...

Happy for you about the L handstand!!

Upload your vid to YouTube.

Then, (on mobile) click "share" and copy the link to the vid, then just paste it into a post here. The forum software does the rest.
  • tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm still not seeing a lot of improvement with my handstands but I had a win with headstand.

I can now get up without using the wall for support!! It doesn't look graceful but it's definitely improvement :)

bv0wrqtd84v2.png
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    It all counts @tropicalchicy Handstands are tricky. Some days it is easy to balance next day a disaster.

Welcome @Heltinne. Enjoy the upside down fun.

Only a little bit of practice today just a few handstand between weightlifting sessions. Squats, deadlifts and OHP were in the heavy zone so I didn't push too hard as it is handstand class tomorrow and I need to be functional not being stiff and sore due to DOMs.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Day of frustration here. All I did at the gym today was cardio and handstand practice. My balance has abandoned me today and my shoulders are still *kitten*. I'm trying to use pics to correct myself, but I'm straining as hard as I can to get my ribs down and there's barely any difference between photos. I think next time I am either going to move my hands further from the wall and then try to touch my chest to the wall or ask a gym buddy to position my torso if it's physically possible.

sqnsfuioetlz.jpg
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    @mom23mangos - i think your alignment is better in pic one. I think it would be easier to adjust your hips if you are looking at your handst rather than tucking your chin in.

Maybe try doing some floor drills which are basically lying face down on the floor. Your put your hands straight out in handstand position, try to keep shoulders, ribs and your hips on the floor while sucking in your stomach plus squeezing glutes, leg muscles and pointing feet. That way you can think about the correct body position without too much pressure on the shoulders. It is a deceptively hard core exercise.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    @mom23mangos - i think your alignment is better in pic one. I think it would be easier to adjust your hips if you are looking at your handst rather than tucking your chin in.

Maybe try doing some floor drills which are basically lying face down on the floor. Your put your hands straight out in handstand position, try to keep shoulders, ribs and your hips on the floor while sucking in your stomach plus squeezing glutes, leg muscles and pointing feet. That way you can think about the correct body position without too much pressure on the shoulders. It is a deceptively hard core exercise.

@TiisTitanium - how in the heck do you keep your shoulders on the floor if you are laying face down?? Can you show me a pic of the proper form when you get the chance? I just tried it on my office floor.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    I think it depends on your shoulder mobility but you kind of push them down.

Scroll down to the middle of this article though he calls it pvc floor drill for a visual explanation. We sometimes use a broom stick but that is usually for aerial conditioning drills, and for handstands it putting hands in the handstand position

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/11/how-i-transformed-my-handstand-with-3-simple-exercises/