Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Work in progress at my new favoured practise spot up against my wardrobe! Managed 3 over 10 seconds today! :smiley:

tqlbdb509kjz.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Amazing, @Tallawah_ !

25 Jun – 6 mins free, Crow, Firefly, stretching

Bit more confident again in my free practice. Held Firefly for about 25 seconds.

4p1ldi7t7uj4.jpeg
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Another practice done as my Monday instructor loves making us do wall drills as core strengthening and opening up shoulder for bendbacks. My wheel poses is definitely improving. It is funny as I started doing daily yoga for pretty much the same reason I started doing handstands - i read that it was good for opening up tight hips/hamstrings. My hamstrings and hips are almost as tight as ever but my shoulders and back have gotten flexi.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Ha! We have opposite flexibility issues Tiis. My hamstrings and hips are improving, but my shoulders are as bad as ever. I practiced in between squatting sets today. My hold is getting more consistent in that if I can find the balance point, I can hold it for 10-12sec. But it's still about a 1 in 10 time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i couldn't hold a handstand saturday.
    i tried. didn't work well.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Aww @Orphia - I don't want the thread to stop either. Maybe I will start just a general Handstand challenge just to keep the magic alive :) (and to keep spreading the joy and happiness of inversions and hand balancing).

I am really missing my Saturday acro class at the moment (and acro class misses me apparently) but I can't go back to next month due to Saturday morning class conflicts (ie my daughter does circus class on Saturday morning and her dad refuses to take her). I really think my handstands have improved so much this month with all the practice which makes me happy. Fortunately handstands are like running, you hit one goal and you set tougher and tougher goals for your self

Here are my efforts for International Handstand Day. One handed is much much easier now

@TiisTitanium . . no way . . one handed . . very impressive!
  • Orphia
    Options
    26 Jun – 10 mins balance practice, stretching

Notable thing today was trying to stay upside down longer against the wall so as to improve strength and practice breathing.

Held it for 20 seconds, then felt a little pain in my left elbow so stopped. Need to stick to my 5 minutes and not overdo it.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    I have been sharing my handstand stories with some of the people I work with as they find it entertaining that my mild exterior hides a secret acrobat. Anyway today one of my work people that I have inspired her to take up adult gymnastics classes.

Very happy to be spreading the handstand and acrobatic joy around :)
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I held a freestanding handstand for 20+ seconds today!!! Now I just need to work on consistency. My kick up is getting better and I can hold for a few seconds each time, but can't catch that sweet spot consistently. It's feels so easy when you do.

Thank you @TiisTitanium for starting this challenge and not only inspiring your co-workers, but inspiring me to get back into my handstand practice.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Yay for you both!! Lovely stories!!

27 Jun – 5 mins, warmup, cartwheels, wall
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    I am living vicariously through you both today as I had a double miss - had to miss my weekly hand balancing class or do any practice. Stupid work and stupid work policies of not doing handstands when in corporate logo'ed clothing.

Back to it tomorrow.

• tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm loving reading about everyones progress, thanks @TiisTitanium for starting this.

I can't see myself meeting my goal - which is to kick up into a wall handstand. I am seeing progress in other ways - my upper body strength has improved. I can now manage an chatarungas (high plank lower to updog) on my toes with proper form. I also just feel stronger in class - I think its the daily (well almost) practise at home.

Tonight was a vinyasa class followed by a few practice kick ups and arm balances.
  • Orphia
    Options
    28 Jun – 5 mins, warmup, wall, cartwheels

• mom23mangos
    Options
    I'm loving reading about everyones progress, thanks @TiisTitanium for starting this.

I can't see myself meeting my goal - which is to kick up into a wall handstand. I am seeing progress in other ways - my upper body strength has improved. I can now manage an chatarungas (high plank lower to updog) on my toes with proper form. I also just feel stronger in class - I think its the daily (well almost) practise at home.

Tonight was a vinyasa class followed by a few practice kick ups and arm balances.

You are seeing improvements, so that is a great thing. Take it slow and one step at a time. I was watching a youtube tutorial on handstands once by a yogi and she said it took her 5 years to get her first handstand. FIVE YEARS. And now she's a teacher. That made me feel a lot better about my slow progress. I've been working on mine for two years now.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the challenge @tropicalchicy.

Slow and steady wins the race or in other words sometimes it feels like you are making no progress with something but after all the little changes that you make along the way turn into something massive. I work on my handstands and splits a lot and progressive is painfully slow for me at times and it seems like everyone in the universe learns physical stuff so much quicker than me and that I will never be at the level of other people, but I just keep going as I can guarantee i will never get better if I stop.
  • tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @mom23mangos and @TiisTitanium :)
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    My gym buddy's been watching me work on my handstands between sets and had to just show off and stick one for 40+ seconds. :tongue:
  • Orphia
    Options
    29 Jun – 5 mins inc push-ups, wall, cartwheels, 10 sec handstand

https://youtu.be/TYyUy02HOoY

(43 sec vid)

Really happy with my 10+ second handstand. Felt strong and upright, and could control balance between the heels of my hands and the tips of my fingers.
  • Orphia
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My gym buddy's been watching me work on my handstands between sets and had to just show off and stick one for 40+ seconds. :tongue:

You mean you did that?!!! @mom23mangos
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

You mean you did that?!!! @mom23mangos

Noooooo!!!! HE did. I couldn't stick one for longer than 5-6 sec today. 🤣