Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    @orphia - I'm gonna have to add the leg split to my handstand now!! Well done.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i played around with crow and crow/tripod.
    being near a wall is unnerving. i don't like walking up to it and having my head and back against it makes me nervous too. i wonder why
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Count me in . . I definitely have to try this. Looks really hard but I love a challenge.

@rodmelching Great! Don't forget to come back and tell us how you go. Good luck!

@orphia and @TiisTitanium . . . you make this look easy. I have to say this is very challenging. Been working on the initial movements and exercises using a wall. I need to improve my core strength for sure. Enjoying the challenge . . thanks for inspiration and support.
  • rodmelching
    Options
    Yes, TT, I think my headstand was better today!

Day 8.
    5 minutes wrist exercises, then held a headstand for 1 minute including split legs for part of it.

Sunday is my big run. After that I will get back to handstands. Just don't want any risks before then. Doing headstands is definitely part of the plan, though!

Just curious . . . @orphia . . . how many miles do you run a week? I probably average about 15-25 depending on my schedule, working on a HM training plan right now. Are you training for a race?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Handstand practice
    01 Jun – 5 minutes wall drills
    02 Jun – 5 minutes wall drills
    03 Jun – 4 minutes wall drills + 1 minute of Crow poses
    04 Jun – 5 minutes wrist/arm/shoulder exercises
    05 Jun - 5 minutes - headstand, Crow, wrist strengthening
    06 Jun – 5 minutes – Crow, planks, Firefly, wrist strengthening
    07 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 38 second headstand
    08 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 1 minute headstand
    09 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 40 second handstand

Day 8.
    5 minutes wrist exercises, then held a headstand for 1 minute including split legs for part of it.

Sunday is my big run. After that I will get back to handstands. Just don't want any risks before then. Doing headstands is definitely part of the plan, though!

Just curious . . . @orphia . . . how many miles do you run a week? I probably average about 15-25 depending on my schedule, working on a HM training plan right now. Are you training for a race?

Hi @rodmelching Nice to meet you. Hahaha I saw you commenting on @garygse's Strava yesterday(?). :smiley:

Sounds like you're on the right track. When are you planning to do the HM?

I've been training to run my first 50 km run, and doing between 45 - 65 km per week for several months, running 4-5 times a week.

I'm not doing an event/race, I'm just doing it in my own time, although I've lined up a friend to join me for the last 10 km.

Doing my 50 km tomorrow (Sunday, Australian time). :smiley:

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Way to go @Orphia!! A 40sec handstand is fantastic! Great job on the daily practice as well. I have not been as consistent.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Whoops! That was supposed to be 40 second headstand!!
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your race tomorrow @Orphia. I hope you are on the east coast of Oz as the west is meant to be rain central tomorrow morning which is not ideal long race conditions!!

Today was ballet and lyra classes but I managed to squeeze in some handstand practice in the afternoon. My handstand alignment is okay but I am feeling traumatized about how chunky I have gotten over the past couple of months due to the quitting smoking weight gain :neutral: which is was not helped by my phone deciding to show me how I looked this time last year. It was like a reverse success story. Sigh.

1667vnt41qfj.png

• ContraryMaryMary
    Options
    Nice form @TiisTitanium !
    Good luck tomorrow @Orphia !

My neck is temperamental today so I’m not handstanding. I watched an interesting clip about handstands which say the weight should be under the knuckles rather than in the heels of the hands - for better control. So I did that at yoga today and noticed it stretched out my wrists more, which in itself is a good thing. But I can see how it would help with balance. Hope to try it properly tomorrow.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Handstand practice
    09 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 40 second headstand
    10 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 39 second headstand - and a 50 km run. :smile:
  • Orphia
    Options
    @TiisTitanium Your handstand is awesome.

And bravo on quitting smoking! That's done you so much good!!

It took me a year after quitting (I quit in 2014) before I joined up at MFP and became obsessed with getting my caloric balance right. I'm not sure how much weight I gained from quitting before I joined MFP, but I lost 80 lbs / 35 kg after joining.

Sounds like you're ready to take it to the next level. My best tip is don't change the things you eat. Eat the things you like, and just worry about sticking to a sustainable deficit (not too aggressive).

And hugs. Those Facebook memories can be so confronting.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    @Orphia - congratulations on the 50km run. That is incredible. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is a tough one as my eating habits haven't changed that much and if anything my exercise level has increased so in theory I should be svelte and happy. This month I am trying to cut alcohol out of my diet to see if that gives me a downward rather than upward trend.

@Contrary_MaryM - definitely helps to have the weight in the fingers and the bit of the hand that the fingers attach to. I find it easier to find my balance

Anyway I got over my big attack of the sads (aka self pity) from yesterday and was right back on it today. Kicked off the day with another ballet class which was interesting as the instructor had watched Swan Lake last night so was feeling all inspired and forgot we were here beginners class and made us work on pirouettes and fancy dance moves. Then came home a did weightlifting as it is the scheduled day for such activities, 15 minutes of handstand practice and then 45 minutes of yoga to try and make sure I wasn't too broken by the days activities.

I was trying to get up on my parallettes for a different kind of handstand practice but they were scarily high so i settled for handstands on dumbells. Even that was hard though as I kept favouring my stronger side

kpm9ywq984la.jpg

I went back to normal handstands after that and life felt much easier with a stable base. My balance is really coming a long way with the daily practice

gsxqm2mpk2x0.jpg

And then I showed off a little :)

dou1pav7inka.jpg

• tropicalchicy
    tropicalchicy Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I unfortunately was unable to practice at all this weekend. Between moving house, cleaning up, unpacking and birthdays it's been a crazy couple of days!

Even with the break, I'm starring to move closer to the wall. Tonight I did 2 x 40sec wall handstand and a few crow poses.

48gcbh48thng.jpg
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Looking good @tropicalchicy It does get a bit hard to squeeze everything in.

I had lots of handstand practice tonight in my contortion class which made me happy. Especially as I can now really see an improvements in my kick up and balancing skills. Daily practice is definitely helping.
  • rodmelching
    Options
    Handstand practice
    09 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 40 second handstand

Day 8.

Hi @rodmelching Nice to meet you. Hahaha I saw you commenting on @garygse's Strava yesterday(?). :smiley:

Sounds like you're on the right track. When are you planning to do the HM?

I've been training to run my first 50 km run, and doing between 45 - 65 km per week for several months, running 4-5 times a week.

I'm not doing an event/race, I'm just doing it in my own time, although I've lined up a friend to join me for the last 10 km.

Doing my 50 km tomorrow (Sunday, Australian time). :smiley:

@orphia . . wow 50k, I'm totally impressed. I've always had the crazy goal of running a full marathon but I can't seem to wrap my brain around 26 miles, let alone 50k (31 miles). Training for a HM in Sept, trying to break 2:15. I ran a race in May, it was a week after a bad traffic accident and my ribs were killing me, finished 2:18. So I feel like 2:15 is within my grasp. What is your strava name . . I'll follow you. No pressure. Congrats on the 50k . . good luck!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options
    Hope to do a bit more handstanding today - did a couple yesterday but hubby was watching TV and had all the lights off and I wasn't too keen in the dark!!
  • Orphia
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Handstand practice
    10 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 39 second headstand – then a 50 km run
    11 Jun - 5 minutes wrist exercises
    12 Jun - 5 minutes wrist exercises, headstand, and planking

@rodmelching I just followed you. I'm in yellow, arms in the air. You can easily do 2:15 if you did 2:18 with borked ribs.

Here's my 50 km recap thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10673530/i-ran-my-first-50-km-run-31-miles

• TiisTitanium
    Options
    Very inspirational @Orphia

I didn't get in any handstand practice today which is a bit rubbish. A brief early morning yoga session was all I could fit in as I was mentally drained after a hectic day at work, long job interview in my lunch break than family duties. On the positive I have gotten some people at my work enthusiastic about taking some handstand classes today so I have made a contribution to the world of handstands and inversions

On the positive, a day off has got me super excited for class tomorrow and a solid hour of practice.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @TiisTitanium - your form is beautiful. I'm so jealous. And try not to worry too much about the extra weight. You did your body a huge favor by stopping smoking and with as much as you work out, think of all the muscle you've added along with an extra fat. When you lose the fat, you are going to be SWOLE.

@Orphia - congrats on your run. I cannot even image. Heck, I'd be happy to run a mile nonstop.

@ContraryMaryMary - I'd meant to mention that before when people talked about their wrists hurting with handstands. The weight should be in the fingers. Your fingers should be gripping/almost clawing at the ground.

I haven't gotten in daily practice, but I've gotten in a few days. This morning I did timed facing the wall holds and then kickup to hollowback/stag. I'm still trying to use my non-dominant leg to kick up because the pressure from kicking up is doing a number on my fractured foot.
  • rodmelching
    Options
    Handstand practice
    10 Jun – 5 minutes wrist exercises, 39 second headstand – then a 50 km run
    11 Jun - 5 minutes wrist exercises
    12 Jun - 5 minutes wrist exercises, headstand, and planking

@rodmelching I just followed you. I'm in yellow, arms in the air. You can easily do 2:15 if you did 2:18 with borked ribs.

Here's my 50 km recap thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10673530/i-ran-my-first-50-km-run-31-miles

@orphia . . awesome recapped, enjoyed the read. Kudos on reaching your goal! I followed you on strava . . doubt you'll see any 50k runs on my account . . lol

@orphia & @TiisTitanium . . did five sets of planks - wall-walk - handstands, holding the handstand for 30-40 sec's. Wasn't perfectly vertical but happy with how it felt. I'll keep doing that for a week, I'll keep trying to get closer to the wall and more vertical. Appreciate the motivation, always nice to find new challenges.