June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    No run today... feeling the effects of going to the Ranger baseball game, fireworks, and poor food decisions. Will be out there tomorrow though to start July strong.
    It looks like a lot of us had struggles this month, be it relationships, physical, mental, emotional, or other. Hopefully we can put this month behind us and go into July with new mindsets!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Don't you just love runs like that where you feel good and want to keep going? I wanted to do that last night BUT I've got a 15K race tomorrow so I turned it in at 4km. But I felt like I could have done 8km even though I wasn't well rested. But then tomorrow would be bad (15 is a bit of a stretch for me at my current training level - 12-13km is about where my max easy run is right now).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Teerai wrote: »

I really hate diabetes.

There is so much promising work being done in this field!

Dr Jason Fung from Toronto has some absolutely fantastic results in reversing this disease.
    He also endeavors to reduce the quantity of medication people need.
    He is a geriatric doctor per se but his practice and practical real world research is good information for the average bear, so to speak. Lol
    He is not a research doctor but has found excellent results in using common sense and logically appling knowledge instead of being shackled by ‘big medicine’.

Many excellent doctors are finding the same success.
    Also, there are some of the new food shows on Netflix and Prime that are showing reversals in chronic medical conditions.
    Unlike Supersize Me which was just a guy eating stupidly for a month, these newer shows are informative AND interesting.

Juicing, Juice fasting, fasting, all plant, vegan, not vegan, a huge China study on cancer that factors in everything you could think of including diet (the results are massive in encyclopedic form) plus mucho information that has been accumulated over the last 50 years.
    There was even one bonafide researcher that mentioned seeing success in reversing both type 1 and 2 diabetes.
    Sorry I don’t remember exactly which one.
    I have basically been watching and researching the ‘new’ information.
    Not really new but when taken as part of the larger picture plus the way our food sources and processing have changed in just our lifetime, it is vital to re-educate ourselves.

Biology 101 doesn’t cover it anymore.
    Of course, you need to sort out reality vs agenda in some but still there are so many excellent shows that give you power over your diet, the way that understanding tobacco addiction saved some from ever getting hooked and helped others kick it to the curb.

You missed the quote - that was from @5BeautifulDays

Also, there is no way to "reverse" type 1 diabetes. It's an auto-immune disease that kills pancreatic beta cells, which means we stop making insulin. No diet will reverse it and there is no current research that has successfully cured it either.

Terrible. I heard an OMRF researcher speak on islet cells transplant. It sounded promising. That was 15 years ago. *In nsert sadness*.

You may be talking about the Viacyte studies. Those are continuing to move forward, but the best results have been a functional "cure" lasting from 5 mo. to 2 years. Our immune system attacks the new cells too, so they tried encapsulation in hopes of protecting the new cells, but it doesn't last long before our immune system gets through.

So far, it is the most promising research... but not quite there yet.
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Goal is 30 miles by the 30th.
    June 18- Easy 3 miles 35:10
    June 19- 3.2 miles 38:20 Took it easy- HIIT class tonight.
    June 20- Another easy 3 miles in 36:00 as I am sore from my knees to my neck from last nights HIIT class :#
    June 21- 4.65 Miles 47:12 Hill intervals
    June 22- Upper body strength. No run
    June 23- 3.95 miles 45:00 Intervals at race pace 400m;800m;1200m;1600m;800m; 3 min recoveries
    June 24- “long run” 5.5 miles 60:00
    June 25- Easy 3.25 miles 37:45
    June 26- HIIT class 60 minutes. No run
    June 27- 3 miles 50:00 My quads and butt are completed shredded after last night’s HIIT class. Tried to run but could only manage a walk. Stairs are unbearable :s
    June 28 - Still very sore. Took a rest day
    June 29 - 3.25 miles 37:45 Feeling better but butt :D is still feeling the split squat jumps from Tuesday’s HIIT.
    June 30 - 4 miles 42:00 10 hill repeats
    Total: 30 goal + 6.80 :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »

I really hate diabetes.

There is so much promising work being done in this field!

Dr Jason Fung from Toronto has some absolutely fantastic results in reversing this disease.
    He also endeavors to reduce the quantity of medication people need.
    He is a geriatric doctor per se but his practice and practical real world research is good information for the average bear, so to speak. Lol
    He is not a research doctor but has found excellent results in using common sense and logically appling knowledge instead of being shackled by ‘big medicine’.

Many excellent doctors are finding the same success.
    Also, there are some of the new food shows on Netflix and Prime that are showing reversals in chronic medical conditions.
    Unlike Supersize Me which was just a guy eating stupidly for a month, these newer shows are informative AND interesting.

Juicing, Juice fasting, fasting, all plant, vegan, not vegan, a huge China study on cancer that factors in everything you could think of including diet (the results are massive in encyclopedic form) plus mucho information that has been accumulated over the last 50 years.
    There was even one bonafide researcher that mentioned seeing success in reversing both type 1 and 2 diabetes.
    Sorry I don’t remember exactly which one.
    I have basically been watching and researching the ‘new’ information.
    Not really new but when taken as part of the larger picture plus the way our food sources and processing have changed in just our lifetime, it is vital to re-educate ourselves.

Biology 101 doesn’t cover it anymore.
    Of course, you need to sort out reality vs agenda in some but still there are so many excellent shows that give you power over your diet, the way that understanding tobacco addiction saved some from ever getting hooked and helped others kick it to the curb.

You missed the quote - that was from @5BeautifulDays

Also, there is no way to "reverse" type 1 diabetes. It's an auto-immune disease that kills pancreatic beta cells, which means we stop making insulin. No diet will reverse it and there is no current research that has successfully cured it either.

They are hoping now that they know more about celiac disease and what might cause it that they can start applying that to other autoimmune diseases. It's fascinating all the work going on in these areas. And that once you have one, you are more likely to get another. Sadly, celiac research doesn't get much in way of $$. It's the most prevalent of intestinal disease but because you can "cure" (for lack of better word) by diet the funds go to colitis and Crohns.

Yes, they are both caused by a combination of 2 things:
    1. HLA genes (chromosome 6) that make it possible for your immune system to be stupid.
    2. A trigger for the autoimmune response against those particular cells targeted.

I have both type 1 and Hashimoto's... have the genes obviously for Celiac too, but no trigger (yet).

The complexity lies in the trigger. The only common factor is that that trigger is something you SHOULD attack, but then your immune system lumps in other cells. Unless you live in a bubble with totally clean air, water, and food; how do you avoid every bacteria, virus, etc.?!

I know Trialnet is doing studies to prevent triggers, but even if they are successful; it doesn't help me. It is great to be able to say they cured T1D by preventing it, but then resources and research will halt completely. As the last of us with the disease die off, it will become prohibitively expensive for insulin because production volume will become so small. That doesn't mean it is cheap now, but we are still talking about a huge difference.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I think there will always be some insulin production as it's sometimes needed for T2 and GDM, but you're right the production will drop and it will get more expensive.

As long as we live in an obesigenic environment, type 2 diabetes will be a thing, and as long as we have free will people will live a lifestyle conducive to it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Another INTJ/INTP personality here. Yep, it's interesting just how many runners fall into 'introvert' rather than 'extrovert'.

Did a parkrun this morning (rather slow, but it was 84 deg F and I am useless in the heat) which brings my June mileage to around 36 miles. It's either a bit more or a bit less than that, but my Garmin crapped out on me on one run so that's about as accurate as I can get. Hopefully I'll run more miles in July.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    @lporter229, @RunsOnEspresso, @mbaker566 - I ran the Flying Pig a couple years ago - one of my favorites! I love a race with a sense of humor. And the course was beautiful!

All this talk about alcohol - I love a good drink but I can not drink beer after a race! It sounds so appealing, but I have a couple swallows and think "nope - doesn't taste good." What DOES taste good to me? Chocolate milk. Gulp it right down and ask for another.

So I made my June goal - thanks to this challenge. I had to finish all 6 miles on the dreadmill this morning which completely sucked - but it would have been worse to run outside in this heat/humidity. Normally my 4-legged running buddy "Tony" goes crazy when he sees me put my shoes on, but I think even he knew it was too hot as he's just laying here.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Trigger. That was the word I was looking for but didn't have enough coffee when I wrote that. They have it narrowed down to a few triggers for celiac disease. One being mono (yah I had that and my symptoms got worse after that) and the other is something that I can't recall at the moment but if I remember correctly it's pretty common for people to have as babies.

I started developing symptoms in high school but it wasn't much. Thought I was lactose intolerant (I'm not). I got mono in college and after that, it got so much worse. Could all be coincidental too.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Another INTJ/INTP personality here. Yep, it's interesting just how many runners fall into 'introvert' rather than 'extrovert'.

ENFJ-A here.... shocker
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I did not get out this morning and now it is 92 with a dewpoint of 76! *sigh*
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ETA It's common to get different results on the test, depending on your current mood. Over the years I've seen only the Introvert/thinking stay consistent on mine. All ese is a bit of a fluctuating grey area (im flexible :wink: ). Just mood, and perhaps as the years wear on our personalities develop.

Yeah, pending the test, the phase of the moon and the price of tea in China, I come back as INTP or INTJ. I personally think INTJ first me better most of the time, but eh, what do I know? I have only lived with myself for decades...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    NEW JUNE GOALS, REHAB SMART, 20 hours of activity Work up to 4 minutes of running (50 mpm). Bike all that I can bike.

2---4.05mi, 61min (PT run)
    3---2.58mi, 55 min walk
    4---3.71mi, 54 min (PT run)
    7---3.42 mi, 47 min 5(2-1,2-2)
    8---9.35 mi, 43 min road bike
    10---55 min brick. 6.04 mi bike, 1.67 mi run 6(2,2)
    11---5.55 mi mtn bike, 38 min
    12---2.24 mi, 33 min 5(3,3)
    13--- 2.71 mi, 36 min 5(2,1) 3(3,3)
    13---5.55 mi mtn bike, 36 min
    14---4.85  bike
    16---6.22 mi, 84 min run 13(3,3)
    17---brick. 3.11 run, 5.16 bike
    18---2.21 run 7(2,2)
    19---7.33 mtn bike
    20---12.51 road bike
    20---1.74 run
    21---2.36 5(3,3) run
    23---6.32 5(4-2,3-2,2-2) run
    24---4.70 rain run 5(4-2, 3-2) no brick-rain
    25---9.58 mtn bike
    27---1.36 run, 6.47 bike, 1.42 run
    28--- responsible rest day
    30---6.06 5(4-2,3-2) then pouty walk. I think it's time ro start fueling my runs.

MILES
    Running 55.9. Made running goal. 19hours and 51 minutes of exercise
    Cycling/MTN bike 72.4

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I believe the islet transplant concept/procedure was started in Edmonton at the University of Alberta Hospital - still needs more research but anything that promises to reduce short and long term symptoms is well worth the effort.
    So many of the auto-immune disease's/allergies etc seem to have some related Trigger Illness or condition. My brother worked for an apiary ( bee keeping ) when he was 16 - stung multiple times every day no super reactions. Now he has developed multiple allergies ( peanuts, stone fruits - peachs, nectarines plums, apricots etc, tomatoes ) and maybe some more that haven't been clearly identified yet. Always has 2 EpiPens with him and 2 more in his vehicle plus 2 in his luggage. So much fun at airports with the security.
    I just try to keep my knuckles from dragging and not trip on twigs.
    @LaDispute57 It's not the twigs and roots that get me - its the spider web trip lines at ankle height. Nothing like doing a face plant on a trail run - look back at the trail and there is nothing there no roots, rocks tree limbs, grass ropes - so it has to be magical leprechaun spider webs.

I don't math well - at least today I couldn't. 17.15 km road run.
    I had planned on 15 km but had a problem with my math. 7.5km into the run I went past a turn which is approximately 4 km from my starting point. 15 - 4 - 7.5 = 3.5 so I kept running aiming for a turn at 11 km ( 3.5 + 7.5 ). Then when I passed 10km on my watch I realized I forgot the divide by 2 ( 3.5/2 = 1.75 + 7.5 = 9.25 ) and was going to be long. Did my traditional walk break at the new turn point and headed back. Really struggled mentally in the last km.

exercise.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My understanding about the current state of islet transplant is that the immune system promptly destroys the transplanted islets just as it did the original ones.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    My understanding about the current state of islet transplant is that the immune system promptly destroys the transplanted islets just as it did the original ones.

Aww. That makes me sad.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Nothing to look at here - linked wrong url and now lost the page.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52
    06/04/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:04
    06/05/18 - 0 :(
    06/06/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:30 including hill repeats
    06/07/18 -
    06/08/18 - 0 :(
    06/09/18 - 12 miles @ 9:29
    06/10/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:22
    06/11/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12
    06/12/18 - 0
    06/13/18 - 10 miles @ 9:26
    06/14/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12
    06/19/18 - 7.2 miles @ 9:50
    06/20/18 - 0
    06/21/18- 10 miles @ 9:10
    06/22/18 - 0
    06/23/18 - 11 miles @ 9:33
    06/24/18 - 0
    06/25/18 - 11 miles @ 9:29
    06/26/18 - 0
    06/27/18 - 0
    06/28/18 - 11 miles @ 9:09 with 1.5 mil fast finish
    06/29/18 - 8 brutal miles

Upcoming Races:

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

With the weather predictions in the 90's for the foreseeable future, I decide to go try and run a little. Any hope of a long run was gone and I bearly eeked out 8 miles. I will either have to run around sunrise all week or give up and head to the treadmill.