June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

HonuNui wrote: »
    Don't know what it "was" but since the remains were a foot long, don't think I wanted to run into before it was a "was....."

It was a spiny rock lobster - over here we call them crayfish. He’s missing his tail - someone’s eaten it, they’re delicious!! He was a biggie though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »

I really hate diabetes.

There is so much promising work being done in this field!

Dr Jason Fung from Toronto has some absolutely fantastic results in reversing this disease.
    He also endeavors to reduce the quantity of medication people need.
    He is a geriatric doctor per se but his practice and practical real world research is good information for the average bear, so to speak. Lol
    He is not a research doctor but has found excellent results in using common sense and logically appling knowledge instead of being shackled by ‘big medicine’.

Many excellent doctors are finding the same success.
    Also, there are some of the new food shows on Netflix and Prime that are showing reversals in chronic medical conditions.
    Unlike Supersize Me which was just a guy eating stupidly for a month, these newer shows are informative AND interesting.

Juicing, Juice fasting, fasting, all plant, vegan, not vegan, a huge China study on cancer that factors in everything you could think of including diet (the results are massive in encyclopedic form) plus mucho information that has been accumulated over the last 50 years.
    There was even one bonafide researcher that mentioned seeing success in reversing both type 1 and 2 diabetes.
    Sorry I don’t remember exactly which one.
    I have basically been watching and researching the ‘new’ information.
    Not really new but when taken as part of the larger picture plus the way our food sources and processing have changed in just our lifetime, it is vital to re-educate ourselves.

Biology 101 doesn’t cover it anymore.
    Of course, you need to sort out reality vs agenda in some but still there are so many excellent shows that give you power over your diet, the way that understanding tobacco addiction saved some from ever getting hooked and helped others kick it to the curb.

You missed the quote - that was from @5BeautifulDays

Also, there is no way to "reverse" type 1 diabetes. It's an auto-immune disease that kills pancreatic beta cells, which means we stop making insulin. No diet will reverse it and there is no current research that has successfully cured it either.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Don't know what it "was" but since the remains were a foot long, don't think I wanted to run into before it was a "was....."

It was a spiny rock lobster - over here we call them crayfish. He’s missing his tail - someone’s eaten it, they’re delicious!! He was a biggie though.

I’ve never seen a crayfish that big and hope I never do ha ha

@shanaber she sure does. I’m getting ready to take them on a test run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Also, I heard if you stop tee-totalling and start drinking, you can shave almost 7 seconds off your pace. Or at least not give a shlt if you don't. :)

HA! I do not actually like beer. Never have. Used to walk around parties with a mostly full beer so that people would not bug me about "just have a drink, maaan." :)

I like beer. :smiley:

Wait? Why were you at a party if you no drinkie? Never been to a party and not par-took

I am an INTJ, I avoid parties in general. You could say that I religously avoid them. :lol: But the beer trick was something I did in early college when everyone EXPECTED me to get drunk all the time or something.

Most people do not push drinks on their pastor though, so that problem has resolved its self. ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Also, I heard if you stop tee-totalling and start drinking, you can shave almost 7 seconds off your pace. Or at least not give a shlt if you don't. :)

HA! I do not actually like beer. Never have. Used to walk around parties with a mostly full beer so that people would not bug me about "just have a drink, maaan." :)

Wait? Why were you at a party if you no drinkie? Never been to a party and not par-took

I am an INTJ, I avoid parties in general. You could say that I religously avoid them. :lol: But the beer trick was something I did in early college when everyone EXPECTED me to get drunk all the time or something.

Most people do not push drinks on their pastor though, so that problem has resolved its self. ;)

I'm INTP. I drink alone. When I'd hang with friends (college-have none now) , we'd set up beer bottles at the bar - they knew the owner, with water in them. Because i dont like to lose control. 1-2 beer is fine for me.

Our church drinks. Catholic.
  • Elise4270
    Options

I really hate diabetes.

Dr Jason Fung from Toronto has some absolutely fantastic results in reversing this disease.
    He is a geriatric doctor per se but his practice and practical real world research is good information for the average bear, so to speak. Lol
    He is not a research doctor but has found excellent results in using common sense and logically appling knowledge instead of being shackled by ‘big medicine’.

Also, there are some of the new food shows on Netflix and Prime that are showing reversals in chronic medical conditions.
    Unlike Supersize Me which was just a guy eating stupidly for a month, these newer shows are informative AND interesting.

Juicing, Juice fasting, fasting, all plant, vegan, not vegan, a huge China study on cancer that factors in everything you could think of including diet (the results are massive in encyclopedic form) plus mucho information that has been accumulated over the last 50 years.
    There was even one bonafide researcher that mentioned seeing success in reversing both type 1 and 2 diabetes.
    Not really new but when taken as part of the larger picture plus the way our food sources and processing have changed in just our lifetime, it is vital to re-educate ourselves.

Of course, you need to sort out reality vs agenda in some but still there are so many excellent shows that give you power over your diet, the way that understanding tobacco addiction saved some from ever getting hooked and helped others kick it to the curb.

Also, there is no way to "reverse" type 1 diabetes. It's an auto-immune disease that kills pancreatic beta cells, which means we stop making insulin. No diet will reverse it and there is no current research that has successfully cured it either.

Terrible. I heard an OMRF researcher speak on islet cells transplant. It sounded promising. That was 15 years ago. *In nsert sadness*.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    No run today, thought it was just laziness but a snooze turned into hours of sleep and I have no appetite.
    My condolences to those facing divorces, especially with children. It is a challenge enough to be a good parent with a supportive spouse.
    I'm not feeling smart here but I'll ask, what is INTP and INTJ?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I'm INTP. I drink alone. When I'd hang with friends (college-have none now) , we'd set up beer bottles at the bar - they knew the owner, with water in them. Because i dont like to lose control. 1-2 beer is fine for me.

Many in my church also do, but pretty much everyone in most denominations assumes the pastor does not.

Personally, I have not been drunk since I was around 11 years old. I refuse to yield my self-control.
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2018
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    No run today, thought it was just laziness but a snooze turned into hours of sleep and I have no appetite.
    My condolences to those facing divorces, especially with children. It is a challenge enough to be a good parent with a supportive spouse.

Meyers Briggs personally type. You can google it for more info but heres basic.

introvert or Extrovert
    INtuitive or Sensing
    Thinking or Feeling
    Judging or Perceiving

We are a bit of everything. Like intp is where im comfortable. I can be extroverted, i just am not "me" there. Ect.

ETA It's common to get different results on the test, depending on your current mood. Over the years I've seen only the Introvert/thinking stay consistent on mine. All ese is a bit of a fluctuating grey area (im flexible :wink: ). Just mood, and perhaps as the years wear on our personalities develop.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Myers–Briggs Personality Types. More info:

INTJ: https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    6/1 13.88 miles
    6/2 16.47 miles
    6/3 10.3 miles
    6/4 14.41 miles
    6/5 14.29 miles
    6/6 16.42 miles
    6/7 16.3 miles
    6/8 17.13 miles
    6/9 20.09 miles
    6/10 1.01 miles
    6/11 15.34 miles
    6/12 13.75 miles
    6/13 15.31 miles
    6/14 16.35 miles
    6/15 15.37 miles
    6/16 16.52 miles
    6/17 13.46 miles
    6/18 17.1 miles
    6/19 17.09 miles
    6/20 21.04 miles
    6/21 10.77 miles
    6/22 16.35 miles
    6/23 14.95 miles
    6/24 13.03 miles
    6/25 1.02 miles
    6/26 13.71 miles
    6/27 17.49 miles
    6/28 14.18 miles
    6/29 16.5 miles
    6/30 13.49 miles

433.12 miles for June (200 was goal)

1851.29 miles to date for 2018
    168 days running out of 181 days so far
    Longest streak 90 days
    Current streak 61 days
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Many in my church also do, but pretty much everyone in most denominations assumes the pastor does not.

Personally, I have not been drunk since I was around 11 years old. I refuse to yield my self-control.

Heh, I used to drink with the seminary students when I was in university. But I'm Lutheran LOL. And that was a long time ago.

I also don't drink often anymore, though I don't have moral objections to it or anything. I think for me I could easily start to drink too much if I started drinking more regularly (given how I'm also prone to compulsively overeating).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I really hate diabetes.

They are hoping now that they know more about celiac disease and what might cause it that they can start applying that to other autoimmune diseases. It's fascinating all the work going on in these areas. And that once you have one, you are more likely to get another. Sadly, celiac research doesn't get much in way of $$. It's the most prevalent of intestinal disease but because you can "cure" (for lack of better word) by diet the funds go to colitis and Crohns.

Meyers Briggs personally type. You can google it for more info but heres basic.

introvert or Extrovert
    INtuitive or Sensing
    Thinking or Feeling
    Judging or Perceiving

We are a bit of everything. Like intp is where im comfortable. I can be extroverted, i just am not "me" there. Ect.

ETA It's common to get different results on the test, depending on your current mood. Over the years I've seen only the Introvert/thinking stay consistent on mine. All ese is a bit of a fluctuating grey area (im flexible :wink: ). Just mood, and perhaps as the years wear on our personalities develop.

I'm almost always INTJ but sometimes veer into INFJ.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    6/1/2018 rest
    6/2/2018 2.65 miles
    6/3/2018 9.05 miles

6/4/2018 rest
    6/5/2018 3 miles
    6/6/2018 2.1 miles
    6/7/2018 2.5 miles
    6/8/2018 2 miles
    6/9/2018 2.15 miles
    6/10/2018 2 miles

6/11/2018 rest
    6/12/2018 poor planning
    6/13/2018 poor planning
    6/14/2018 2.4 miles
    6/15/2018 2.75 miles
    6/16/2018 2.5 miles
    6/17/2018 10 miles

6/18/2018 rest
    6/19/2018 4 miles
    6/20/2018 2.9 miles
    6/21/2018 2.8 miles
    6/22/2018 3 miles
    6/23/2018 2.6 miles
    6/24/2018 unplanned rest

6/25/2018 rest
    6/26/2018 3.4 miles
    6/27/2018 2.55 miles
    6/28/2018 2.5 miles
    6/29/2018 2.75 miles
    6/30/2018 2.65 miles

Total 72.25 miles/80-85

Races
    October 6 Estrella Cactus 5k
    November 10 Rock n Roll Vegas 5k
    November 11 Rock n Roll Vegas Marathon (4:45 goal/5 hour time limit)
    November 17 Desert Marigold 6k
    December 1 Saguaro 7k

Potential Races
    September 29 Maple Leaf Half Marathon (Wisconsin)
    October 14 Brew HaHa Halloween 5k
    November 22 Strut Your Stuffing 5k
    December 2 Hot Chocolate 15k
    December 8 12k's of Christmas
    December 22 Caribbean Christmas Half & 5k
    May 2 Grandad Half Marathon (Wisconsin)

I was a little shocked at my pace this morning. Felt like I was running in slow motion but it's actually my fastest time for the foundation run this cycle. Brain and body trying to trick me!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    INXJ here - interesting how many runners on this thread are INs! Makes sense, it is a private business which allows time for contemplation.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/18 :::: 1.4 :::: 1.4
    06/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 1.4
    06/03/18 :::: 13.1 :::: 14.5
    06/04/18 :::: 0.8 :::: 15.3
    06/05/18 :::: 3.6 :::: 18.9
    06/06/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 22.4
    06/07/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/08/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.4
    06/09/18 :::: 9.0 :::: 31.4
    06/10/18 :::: 6.9 :::: 38.2
    06/11/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 41.3
    06/12/18 :::: 5.2 :::: 46.5
    06/13/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 46.5
    06/14/18 :::: 10.0 :::: 56.5
    06/15/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 59.7
    06/16/18 :::: 4.9 :::: 64.6
    06/17/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 67.9
    06/18/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 71.0
    06/19/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 74.2
    06/20/18 :::: 6.6 :::: 80.8
    06/21/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 80.8
    06/22/18 :::: 2.7 :::: 83.5
    06/23/18 :::: 10.3 :::: 93.8
    06/24/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 96.9
    06/25/18 :::: 2.7 :::: 99.7
    06/26/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 105.2
    06/27/18 :::: 6.3 :::: 111.4
    06/28/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 114.5
    06/29/18 :::: 0.5 :::: 115.0
    06/30/18 :::: 11.7 :::: 126.7/ 110 miles goal

I did manage to drag myself out of bed to meet up at 6 am. While I did not like it, I was of course super glad to have finished earlier before the heat got terrible. It felt pretty ok at 6, but I was sweating buckets when we regrouped at 7. I put on my new cooling multi-cooler gaiter/bandana thing that I wet down and wore on my head and that helped. I also had a new hydration belt that I was pretty pleased with. Allergies were again a problem and I had to slow way down after the first hour.

And that total brings me to my highest mileage month ever! I will have to do some thinking about what to set for a July goal. See you all over in that thread.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I know I'm super super late to the discussion, but I just finally got around to reading all the posts I had missed! I have the garmin running dynamics pod and was also surprised/concerned at how bad my vertical oscillation was too... There are two visualizations I have found that really seem to help decrease my VO: The first is I imagine I am riding a scooter (or skate board), with my hips gliding forward smoothly and my feet pushing me forward underneath. The second one is I imagine I have a climbing harness on, with a rope attached to the front of it and that I am being pulled forward by this rope. Both of these also help me land directly over my foot (instead of overstriding) and keep my hips in a more neutral position. Hopefully this makes sense and can maybe help you out too!