Does everyone still use the bmi scale??

Options
I'm just wondering if the bmi scale is still a thing. Yes I know it exists, however if I went with it. I'm not even 5'2" and I'd look sickly if I was the exact weight they say i should be.

I went to a wellness place and the doctor there told me it's not all about bmi supposedly anymore, but about the shape of your body, your health history and family history.

I'm just wondering what people use now a days to figure out what a "healthy" body is supposed to look like.

Like I said I know everyone is different, but just wondering what people use as a guideline.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mulecanter wrote: »
    I was skeptical of BMI until I got to the healthy range, turns out it was right.

Me too. I thought I was an outlier.

I lurve the way your mind thinks. Perfect mix of common sense and brains. B)

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    All the GPs I've had use BMI to decide if I'm "healthy". Lab tests and blood work are part of it, but going over 25 BMI gets the "lose weight" (aka you're not healthy) speech.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Something to consider regarding the BMI scale:

[excerpt]
    Rather, the studies generally suggest that people with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 -- which is considered overweight but not obese -- have a survival advantage over people with higher or lower BMIs.

[excerpt]
    In the newly published study, researchers used data from an ongoing Canadian national health survey to follow more than 11,000 adults from the mid-1990s to 2007.

Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:

Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
    Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
    Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
    Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#1
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm an outlier (on the overweight end) and struggle to get in the normal range unless I'm very lean and low on muscle mass and I don't lift or exercise regularly.

Im short for a man and even my ridiculously skinny man legs don't seem to be able to counteract a large chest/rib cage.

Unfortunately the square in the equation makes it less useful a guide for us shorter folk.