Does everyone still use the bmi scale??

Replies

• kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Yep BMI > 24.9 =overweight.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Jeckia wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if the bmi scale is still a thing. Yes I know it exists, however if I went with it. I'm not even 5'2" and I'd look sickly if I was the exact weight they say i should be.

I went to a wellness place and the doctor there told me it's not all about bmi supposedly anymore, but about the shape of your body, your health history and family history.

I'm just wondering what people use now a days to figure out what a "healthy" body is supposed to look like.

Like I said I know everyone is different, but just wondering what people use as a guideline.

Got our 6 months Wellness Checks done at work today and my weight was down 2lbs, resulting in a BMI of 23.9 with all other factors combined. I was actually considered to be in a healthy range overall. My prediabetic status has still not progressed towards full diabetes, and most times my HbA1c numbers are outside of the danger range altogether.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I think BMI is a good measure for most people. My healthy BMI range is 125-160. That’s a pretty big range. My doctor, an M.D., gave me a healthy range to stay in of 145-165. Even at the highest end of my doctors range, which is based on my body shape, health history, and composition, I’d only be 5lb outside of the BMI range.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Jeckia wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if the bmi scale is still a thing. Yes I know it exists, however if I went with it. I'm not even 5'2" and I'd look sickly if I was the exact weight they say i should be.

I went to a wellness place and the doctor there told me it's not all about bmi supposedly anymore, but about the shape of your body, your health history and family history.

I'm just wondering what people use now a days to figure out what a "healthy" body is supposed to look like.

Like I said I know everyone is different, but just wondering what people use as a guideline.

What was the weight range given to you?
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    edited June 2018
    As has been said, BMI is a huge range and for 5'2" it's 101 to 136 lbs. I've never been outside the high end of the range (lifetime max =135) but in my 20's when I was a serious gym rat I often dipped into the high 90's.

I just know I feel bulky and awkward over ca. 115 lbs. I lose agility, flexibility, and energy when I go over that mark. So I guess the answer would be the best weight is where your body feels the most efficient and functional.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    serindipte wrote: »
    Something to consider regarding the BMI scale:

[excerpt]
    Rather, the studies generally suggest that people with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 -- which is considered overweight but not obese -- have a survival advantage over people with higher or lower BMIs.

[excerpt]
    In the newly published study, researchers used data from an ongoing Canadian national health survey to follow more than 11,000 adults from the mid-1990s to 2007.

Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:

Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
    Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
    Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
    Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#1

Ugh, then why I am I eating salads and running every day? I've been a normal BMI my whole life...by this logic I should fight hard to gain about 15 lbs minimum if I want to live long enough to be a grandma.

I don't really understand why normal weight people would be more likely to die early than above normal weight people...unless the normal people are thin because they are smokers, heroin addicts or do risky behavior like drink and drive.

See my post a couple up...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    My health insurance uses it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I'm technically overweight by BMI standards.

My dr gave me a look and said, "You're not overweight." I said, "I know."

Not all healthy bodies look the same; and what LOOKS healthy is subjective.

Same.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member

[excerpt]
    Rather, the studies generally suggest that people with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 -- which is considered overweight but not obese -- have a survival advantage over people with higher or lower BMIs.

[excerpt]
    In the newly published study, researchers used data from an ongoing Canadian national health survey to follow more than 11,000 adults from the mid-1990s to 2007.

Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#1

Largely debunked and not recent, but the news media keeps recycling it.

Here is a much larger more recent study:
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/overweight-obesity-mortality-risk/

[excerpt]
    For the new study, consortium researchers looked at data from more than 10.6 million participants from 239 large studies, conducted between 1970 and 2015, in 32 countries. A combined 1.6 million deaths were recorded across these studies, in which participants were followed for an average of 14 years. For the primary analyses, to address potential biases caused by smoking and preexisting diseases, the researchers excluded participants who were current or former smokers, those who had chronic diseases at the beginning of the study, and any who died in the first five years of follow-up, so that the group they analyzed included 4 million adults. They looked at participants’ body mass index (BMI)—an indicator of body fat calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by their height in meters squared (kg/m2).

The results showed that participants with BMI of 22.5-<25 kg/m2 (considered a healthy weight range) had the lowest mortality risk during the time they were followed. The risk of mortality increased significantly throughout the overweight range: a BMI of 25-<27.5 kg/m2 was associated with a 7% higher risk of mortality; a BMI of 27.5-<30 kg/m2 was associated with a 20% higher risk; a BMI of 30.0-<35.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 45% higher risk; a BMI of 35.0-<40.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 94% higher risk; and a BMI of 40.0-<60.0 kg/m2 was associated with a nearly three-fold risk. Every 5 units higher BMI above 25 kg/m2 was associated with about 31% higher risk of premature death. Participants who were underweight also had a higher mortality risk.

Thank you. I'd never seen the update.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    I go by the BMI. I am picking my top weight for my height (5'4") as my goal weight, which will be 145 lbs. Or else how would I know what my goal weight would be?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member

[excerpt]

[excerpt]

Largely debunked and not recent, but the news media keeps recycling it.

Here is a much larger more recent study:
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/overweight-obesity-mortality-risk/

[excerpt]
    For the new study, consortium researchers looked at data from more than 10.6 million participants from 239 large studies, conducted between 1970 and 2015, in 32 countries. A combined 1.6 million deaths were recorded across these studies, in which participants were followed for an average of 14 years. For the primary analyses, to address potential biases caused by smoking and preexisting diseases, the researchers excluded participants who were current or former smokers, those who had chronic diseases at the beginning of the study, and any who died in the first five years of follow-up, so that the group they analyzed included 4 million adults. They looked at participants’ body mass index (BMI)—an indicator of body fat calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by their height in meters squared (kg/m2).

The results showed that participants with BMI of 22.5-<25 kg/m2 (considered a healthy weight range) had the lowest mortality risk during the time they were followed. The risk of mortality increased significantly throughout the overweight range: a BMI of 25-<27.5 kg/m2 was associated with a 7% higher risk of mortality; a BMI of 27.5-<30 kg/m2 was associated with a 20% higher risk; a BMI of 30.0-<35.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 45% higher risk; a BMI of 35.0-<40.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 94% higher risk; and a BMI of 40.0-<60.0 kg/m2 was associated with a nearly three-fold risk. Every 5 units higher BMI above 25 kg/m2 was associated with about 31% higher risk of premature death. Participants who were underweight also had a higher mortality risk.

Thank you. I'd never seen the update.

The problem with the first study is that it didn't address "wasting," or people who lose weight due to disease. Since losing weight can be one of the first signs of fatal illness, failing to separate out these people skewed the numbers overall, which is what the second study attempted to correct for.

That makes sense!