Does everyone still use the bmi scale??

Options

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Shouty, what have you been told about sticking to your own threads?

Looks like I missed the fun and he is already deleted.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    serindipte wrote: »
    Something to consider regarding the BMI scale:

[excerpt]
    Rather, the studies generally suggest that people with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 -- which is considered overweight but not obese -- have a survival advantage over people with higher or lower BMIs.

[excerpt]
    In the newly published study, researchers used data from an ongoing Canadian national health survey to follow more than 11,000 adults from the mid-1990s to 2007.

Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:

Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
    Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
    Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
    Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20090625/study-overweight-people-live-longer#1

Largely debunked and not recent, but the news media keeps recycling it.

Here is a much larger more recent study:
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/overweight-obesity-mortality-risk/

[excerpt]
    For the new study, consortium researchers looked at data from more than 10.6 million participants from 239 large studies, conducted between 1970 and 2015, in 32 countries. A combined 1.6 million deaths were recorded across these studies, in which participants were followed for an average of 14 years. For the primary analyses, to address potential biases caused by smoking and preexisting diseases, the researchers excluded participants who were current or former smokers, those who had chronic diseases at the beginning of the study, and any who died in the first five years of follow-up, so that the group they analyzed included 4 million adults. They looked at participants’ body mass index (BMI)—an indicator of body fat calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by their height in meters squared (kg/m2).

The results showed that participants with BMI of 22.5-<25 kg/m2 (considered a healthy weight range) had the lowest mortality risk during the time they were followed. The risk of mortality increased significantly throughout the overweight range: a BMI of 25-<27.5 kg/m2 was associated with a 7% higher risk of mortality; a BMI of 27.5-<30 kg/m2 was associated with a 20% higher risk; a BMI of 30.0-<35.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 45% higher risk; a BMI of 35.0-<40.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 94% higher risk; and a BMI of 40.0-<60.0 kg/m2 was associated with a nearly three-fold risk. Every 5 units higher BMI above 25 kg/m2 was associated with about 31% higher risk of premature death. Participants who were underweight also had a higher mortality risk.

Thank you. I'd never seen the update.

The media still loves the old one. Nobody clicks on headlines that make sense.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Just checked my BMI.

I'm 5'7" and 148lbs with a lean frame. If I loose anymore I would look sick! I'm just about in the middle of the BMI scale & am working on maintaining my weight... :)

Result

BMI = 23.18 kg/m2 (Normal)
    •Normal BMI range: 18.5kg/m2 - 25 kg/m2
    •Normal BMI weight range for the height: 118.1lbs - 159.6 lbs

• CarvedTones
    edited June 2018
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Just checked my BMI.

I'm 5'7" and 148lbs with a lean frame. If I loose anymore I would look sick! I'm just about in the middle of the BMI scale & am working on maintaining my weight... :)

Result

BMI = 23.18 kg/m2 (Normal)
    •Normal BMI range: 18.5kg/m2 - 25 kg/m2
    •Normal BMI weight range for the height: 118.1lbs - 159.6 lbs

Nice! I am 5'8" on a good day, so I am still claiming that (yeah, I am old enough to start slowly shrinking). I was 156.4 this morning; at 5'8" that's 23.8, at 5'7" it's 24.5 so I am good either way. I would look okay at 150 (not much different than I look now), but if I got down into the low 140s I think I would start look sickly also. I think normal goes too low. I would look emaciated at 123, even though that is just inside the normal range for 5'8".
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It is a number I used to set my ambitious goal.
    I also get credit towards insurance discount if I reach it.
    It is also my high school graduation weight.
    I plan to reach that weight to prove to myself that I can, then add some muscle and maybe weight.
    It is a long-term plan made of many daily and hourly choices.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    IMO, highly muscular athletes have a better reason than most to be overweight, but they are still overweight. People with high BF% and a normal BMI are not overweight but they aren't healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mulecanter wrote: »
    I was skeptical of BMI until I got to the healthy range, turns out it was right.

Me too. I thought I was an outlier. Turns out I was still just too fat.

Agreed. Me too. I thought it didn't apply to me because I couldn't even imagine myself at such a low weight. Turns out, I can be in the "normal" range and I love it.

People with high muscle mass disparage it and say it's bogus, subjective, etc. Fine, you already count macros and can shed a pound on command, you know you're not overweight, move on. But for a non-bodybuilder, overweight or obese individual with no idea what weight to shoot for, it can be a useful tool.

Yes body builders can have high BMI and not be overweight. But if BMI is assessed in conjunction with clinical picture ie the actual body of the patient, then this is obvious

Just like it was obvious to both my doctor and myself that my bmi of 28 was not because I was an outlier with large amount of lean muscle - it was plain old because I was overweight.

Same of course for other outliers with unusual body shapes - amputees, people with dwarfism etc. obviously their BMI is altered by that.
    But I'm sure people know if that applies to them.
    If not, chances are that bmi range does apply fairly accurately.

Risking opening a can of worms, but I have heard more than one medical professional voice the opinion that bodybuilding and other forms of extreme fitness are not healthy and there is some evidence for that opinion being valid:
    https://www.renalandurologynews.com/aua-2016-misc-urinary-problems/mortality-rate-higher-among-bodybuilders/article/495038/
    [excerpt]
    Bodybuilders have a mortality rate 34% higher than that of the age-matched U.S. male population, according to a study presented at the American Urological Association's 2016 annual meeting.

[me again]
    Bodybuilders may have a more socially acceptable reason for being overweight than someone out of shape that has a high BF%, but they are still out of the normal range and overweight.

Steroid use is rampant in the BB community...

I personally don't think it's a BMI thing.

I'm 5'10" and my maintenance is typically about 180 which puts me 6 Lbs overweight on the BMI charts. I'm not hugely muscular or anything, but apparently have enough to put me a handful of Lbs over the top end. I'm not super lean either...healthy BF%, no love handles, etc...around 15% BF. I could be leaner of course and be in the top end of the range, but I figure I'm at a healthy BF% so that's ok with me.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm at the upper end of "healthy" and I feel like that's probably about right - I'm pretty healthy, but for vanity reasons I'm trying to get lower down the scale