I need help with running

Ok, so I am really bad at running. My legs get so tired and I get super out of breath. Because of this, I avoid it at all costs. The problem is, I'm doing warrior dash in 4 weeks and I need to get it together. When I ran it last year, I had to walk pretty much the whole way because I just couldn't hack it. Any tips and tricks to help me get ready?

Replies

• mandystar
    mandystar Posts: 271 Member
    When you say slow down, what do you mean? Slower pace? Shorter distances?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    When I try to get into it my pace is more of a "shuffle" and even then I walk some. I then slowly increase the duration and distance. Eventually I hope to increase speed but I've never gotten faster than a 12-13 minute mile.

But I agree that 4 weeks isn't really enough time to see much progress.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Slower pace is best way to start. don't try to run a 10 minute mile out of the gate. Slow it way down to just above walking pace. then try only running 1 mile, then walking 1/2 mile, etc. Try a program like modified c25k. Sounds like you only have four weeks but if you are already running then you could make something work.
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Absolutely do C25K, even if you can't do the whole programme before your race, start with it. Also agree on slowing waaaay down. I used to get out of breath even after running for months. Then ran with a heart /bp monitor a few years ago to find a good pace for me and it's changed everything. You don't need a gadget though, as everyone says, just need to be able to talk. Jog, don't run :)
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Keep it fun, the only way to get better is to run more and prepare. Good luck!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    There is nothing wrong with walking a race. There have been walkers and run/walkers in every race I've ever run, from the 5k up to the half marathon. Start C25K now, plan to walk the race this year (maybe aim for a slightly faster walking pace than last time), and run next year.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member

OP, don't even consider anything like this program unless you want pain and injury.

I'll add that the kind of injuries you could get are not minor. They're the type that put you out for weeks or months (achillies, hairline fractures, etc).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    mandystar wrote: »
    When you say slow down, what do you mean? Slower pace? Shorter distances?

Probably both. Start short & slow and gradually build up. When I started running years ago I could barely go around the block without feeling like I was going to die. Started off with 9 minutes walking & 1 min super slow running, the 8 min walking with 2 min running until I could slowly run 10 minutes straight and then built from there.

Now my favourite distance is a half-marathon (13.1 miles) that I run continuously, haven't beaten 2 hrs yet but I'm working on it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

OP, don't even consider anything like this program unless you want pain and injury.

I'll add that the kind of injuries you could get are not minor. They're the type that put you out for weeks or months (achillies, hairline fractures, etc).

Just to follow up. Last year I did my first 10 K. It was week 5 of my C25K. The only modification I made was I took an extra rest day before and after and ran week 5 D1 twice(just for timing/pace considerations) At some point, I skipped a run interval and began walking the run intervals and running the rest intervals.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I'm an experienced, life-long runner, have never run a race, and after a long winter of being lazy, am restarting my running program. The first rule of running for a beginner is, never add more than 10% per week. If you can't afford or don't want to buy the C25K program (it used to be free everywhere; I don't know what happened), you can go out and start jogging a little bit, on your own. The key is to pick the right starting point--what's your age, weight, current status of fitness (what CAN you already do, running, walking, etc?)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    mkculs wrote: »
    I'm an experienced, life-long runner, have never run a race, and after a long winter of being lazy, am restarting my running program. The first rule of running for a beginner is, never add more than 10% per week. If you can't afford or don't want to buy the C25K program (it used to be free everywhere; I don't know what happened), you can go out and start jogging a little bit, on your own. The key is to pick the right starting point--what's your age, weight, current status of fitness (what CAN you already do, running, walking, etc?)

It's still pretty ubiquitous. I used the Zen Labs version, and downloaded a paper copy for reference. I have no idea where I got the PDF from.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Here is a generic plan I used. Plan to exercise three days a week with at least one day in between for recovery.

Week 1
    Day 1:
    Run 1 minute then Walk 60 seconds (10 times)
    Cool down

Day 2:
    Run 2 minutes and walk 60 seconds (8 times)
    Cool down

Day 3:
    Warm up to the 1/2 mile marker
    Run walk to the 1 1/4 mile marker
    Cool down

Week 2
    Day 1:
    Warm up with a brisk 5 minute walk
    Run 6 minutes/walk 90 seconds, Run 3 minutes/walk 90 seconds (2 times)
    Cool down

Day 2:
    Run a large hill, roughly 1/8th of a mile in distance 10 times (walk down)
    Cool down

Day 3:
    Warm up with a 1/4 mile walk
    Run 12 minutes with a 2 minute rest (2 times)
    Cool down

Week 3
    Day 1:
    Run 400 meters walk 400 meters (5 times)
    Cool down

Day 2:
    Run 6 minutes rest 90 sec. Run 4 minutes rest 90 seconds (2 times)
    Cool down

Week 4
    Day 1:
    Warm up with a brisk 400 meter walk
    Run 400 meters walk 400 meters (5 times)
    Cool down

Day 2:
    Run 12 minutes walk 90 seconds (3 times)
    Cool down

Day 3:
    Run your event!

Cool down consists of a stretching routine of lunges front/back and left/right, feet-spread leg stretches, groin stretch, all preceded by at least one minute of walking. I used this over 12 weeks to prepare for a 5k. I adjusted my recommended increases based on your plan for 4 weeks from now.

And it likely worked just fine over 12 weeks, but for someone who is new to running, going from zero to 5k in a month is very likely to get them injured.