Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto Lifestyle Question

Replies

• SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Amy8Lyn wrote: »
    As a plant based keto follower, I think it eliminates a lot of the cardiac concerns as there is little to no saturated fats (unless you go crazy on coconut oils). I think keto, along with plant based keto is all about looking at the big picture and making sure you are still eating a good variety of foods and paying close attention to your micros. Like with any style of eating you cant get lazy and expect that your body will get what it needs. That being said I have had great success on it, but I went keto for specific gastrointestinal issues I have, and I feel great. As some comments have said, its certainly not for everyone, listen to your body and see how it reacts.

Could you tell me what you normally eat on a day to day basis? I'm mostly plant based and I'm pretty high carb-I don't know how I'd do it low carb? Someone was asking about vegetarian keto in another thread and I didn't think it was possible-I'm intrigued now :)

eta: since switching to a more WFPB woe I've noticed a definite up-tick in bloating from the increased carbs. Would be nice to calm this down a bit! I just sent you a pm, with more questions LOL :)
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    SagePeach wrote: »
    As a plant based keto follower, I think it eliminates a lot of the cardiac concerns as there is little to no saturated fats (unless you go crazy on coconut oils). I think keto, along with plant based keto is all about looking at the big picture and making sure you are still eating a good variety of foods and paying close attention to your micros. Like with any style of eating you cant get lazy and expect that your body will get what it needs. That being said I have had great success on it, but I went keto for specific gastrointestinal issues I have, and I feel great. As some comments have said, its certainly not for everyone, listen to your body and see how it reacts.

Could you tell me what you normally eat on a day to day basis? I'm mostly plant based and I'm pretty high carb-I don't know how I'd do it low carb? Someone was asking about vegetarian keto in another thread and I didn't think it was possible-I'm intrigued now :)

eta: since switching to a more WFPB woe I've noticed a definite up-tick in bloating from the increased carbs. Would be nice to calm this down a bit! I just sent you a pm, with more questions LOL :)

Of course!

For breakfast I usually rotate between a warm chia/flax pudding (reminds me of oatmeal), keto pancakes or keto "bagels" that I make, I get a lot of recipes from Meat Free Keto's page. I like a sweet breakfast but you can also do a tofu & veggie scramble, but I often have that for lunch.

Lunch and dinners are interchangeable depending on what I've made (I like to make double portions for leftovers). Lately ive been having zoodles with either pan fried tofu, or Gardein meatless meatballs and a small amount of sauce. I also like to make my keto "buffalo style" salad with mixed greens, baby kale, cukes, avocado and pan fried tofu. I top it with a dressing I make out of Just mayo, Franks red hot and a little it of evoo and water. Super good!

For snacks it depends on what macros I have left for the day but it can be a nut & chia bar, nut butters, almonds, protein shakes, raspberries, blackberries (or any high fiber fruit in a small amount).

I get my fats mostly through nuts, tofu, MCT oil (in my coffee) and cooking with evoo.

I plan on trying some new recipes soon, some keto pad thai (use kelp noodles), soups, crack slaw etc all from that website, she's my favorite. I haven't needed any fat bombs, but I may try some of her recipes to have as a treat.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    SagePeach wrote: »

Of course!

For breakfast I usually rotate between a warm chia/flax pudding (reminds me of oatmeal), keto pancakes or keto "bagels" that I make, I get a lot of recipes from Meat Free Keto's page. I like a sweet breakfast but you can also do a tofu & veggie scramble, but I often have that for lunch.

Lunch and dinners are interchangeable depending on what I've made (I like to make double portions for leftovers). Lately ive been having zoodles with either pan fried tofu, or Gardein meatless meatballs and a small amount of sauce. I also like to make my keto "buffalo style" salad with mixed greens, baby kale, cukes, avocado and pan fried tofu. I top it with a dressing I make out of Just mayo, Franks red hot and a little it of evoo and water. Super good!

For snacks it depends on what macros I have left for the day but it can be a nut & chia bar, nut butters, almonds, protein shakes, raspberries, blackberries (or any high fiber fruit in a small amount).

I get my fats mostly through nuts, tofu, MCT oil (in my coffee) and cooking with evoo.

I plan on trying some new recipes soon, some keto pad thai (use kelp noodles), soups, crack slaw etc all from that website, she's my favorite. I haven't needed any fat bombs, but I may try some of her recipes to have as a treat.

Thanks!
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Did it for 2 months in the past. Helped put me off my high bp pills. Then as the weight started to come off I transistion back to my original foods in smaller portions.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I'm on a keto diet. I have epilepsy. My seizures have reduced.

good to hear and keto was originally designed for that reason.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think keto was first medically prescribed for epilepsy (and diabetes) rather than designed for it.

It was prescribed epilepsy in the 1920’s.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think keto was first medically prescribed for epilepsy (and diabetes) rather than designed for it.

well it was used for epilepsy primarily so whether it was prescribed or designed for that doesnt matter lets say it was
    developed instead . They found that it worked for epilepsy back in the 20s. sure people like inuits ate that way for centuries. its just because of what was and wasnt available so thats how they ate. but then again inuits and eskimos many of them were also overweight so that should prove that keto is not a special fat burning diet like some think. either way its neem proven to help many health issues and thats great for those who have those issues.

this says it was designed for epilepsy-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898565/
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited June 2018