Facebook....Yea or Nay????

Options

Replies

• jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yea! It's an easy way to keep photos and memories.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm on FB and Twitter. I like to follow people who inspire me and make me laugh. I'm ruthless about keeping it negative-free by unfriending the Debbie Downers, the attention seekers and those who have a political agenda to push. If it makes me uncomfortable or angry, I get rid of it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm on FB and Twitter. I like to follow people who inspire me and make me laugh. I'm ruthless about keeping it negative-free by unfriending the Debbie Downers, the attention seekers and those who have a political agenda to push. If it makes me uncomfortable or angry, I get rid of it.

I have friends and family who diverge dramatically on issues of all sorts. I unsubscribe, rather than unfriend. That way, I keep my friends, and I can go to their profile pages to keep up with their personal posts that actually interest me.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I deleted all photos, videos, pages I liked, and everything else then deactivated my account almost 1 month ago. Same old posts from people day in and day out, people friending people who have no idea who they are ("oh hi. I am your neighbors neighbor and I waved to you once") and stupid drama. Not to mention the constant changing of the goal posts on privacy. Bleh. Who needs AttentionBook. I would rather workout.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have Facebook!

Small amount of friends though which are about 70% family. They use it and its useful to keep up with them.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have put a lot of people on 'acquaintance' list so they don't get my updates and I don't get theirs unless we actively stalk -

I'd like to defriend a few so - the ones who watch and never comment or add anything, but I don't want it to be awkward if I see them in real life.
    Although I like to read certain posts from businesses or health sites and jokes etc I sort of wish I wasn't on it!
    So I'm not using it much any more trying to wean of it. I would miss some overseas contact and old school friends who I'd never see in real life - that's what keeps me on!
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I don't have FB. I stay in contact with skype

Anyway, who needs FB when you have MFP :wink:

THIS ^^^ Except the Skype I don't know how to use it lol
  • Miss_Humps_Alot
    Options
    I don't deal with facebook, I've got Skype for long distances :)
  • TayWaters
    Options
    I have FB just to keep in touch with family that are too far away to visit.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yea. I have family in the states that I like to keep in touch with & it is much easier to do it via FB than to send them each individual e-mails. Plus, they can choose if they want to look at the things I post.

Now I'm on maternity leave it's a great way to be distracted from the kids, kidding! I can keep up what is going on at work because I have a lot of work friends on my FB. It can be evil, pointless, time wasting etc etc.
  • akmom40
    akmom40 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have it too...it started as a place I could share pictures with our family, since we are across the country. It has turned into a place where people share wonderful recipes, articles, jokes and other info I'm interested in. I think if a person keeps their friend base smaller, it helps keep it reasonable. Otherwise, FB is too time-consuming and overwhelming.
  • Addis_Daddy12
    Addis_Daddy12 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Ok....admission of guilt here! I have 2 Facebook profiles, run 4 Facebook pages, 2 twitter accounts with possibly a third in the works, working on getting a YouTube account set up, and design and maintain 1 website.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Ok....admission of guilt here! I have 2 Facebook profiles, run 4 Facebook pages, 2 twitter accounts with possibly a third in the works, working on getting a YouTube account set up, and design and maintain 1 website.

Just 4 pages?? pfft! I admin 12 groups, have a biggest loser group (and over 300 pounds have been lost!) AND i run 7 pages! And thats just the "big" ones... My cats have their own FB pages, too! (but they are rescue groups!)

:smokin: Yeah, im a bada$$
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Nay! I have a fake account to check what I can't elsewhere. Would never signed-up with my name and last name.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used to use it A LOT back when I was in school and then again when I coached a football team, because FB groups are an easy way to reach a lot of people at once now that everyone's got a smartphone.

I'm not on it anymore because it just got SUPER boring. I'd never post or comment anything on it anyways so the only purpose it would have for me would be to be nosey and stalk people.
  • thisoldroutine
    Options
    I deactivated my account just over a year ago and i've never missed it!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    100% NAY! They violate your privacy and sell your personal info without your permission. Also, that site is nothing but drama. I abandoned mine long ago and don't regret it all that much.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    100% NAY! They violate your privacy and sell your personal info without your permission. Also, that site is nothing but drama. I abandoned mine long ago and don't regret it all that much.

Thats hilarious. If you dont WANT something on the internet.. DONT put it on there.

What part of that do people NOT understand?? :noway:

Violating your privacy... :laugh: They didn't come into your home, steal your photographs out of your albums and sneak back off to the internet & paste your pictures all over the web for everyone to see. YOU put them on there. Stop blaming others for violating YOUR privacy.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Facebook is what you make it. If your friends are obnoxious drama queens who play stupid games and spam you about them, or if you can't control yourself and spend too much time there, your Facebook experience is going to suck. My friends and family are intelligent, nice, driven, clever, and supportive, among other wonderful qualities. I love hanging out with them all in one place, and I can turn it off or take a break from it any time I want. But then, I'm one of those weird people who doesn't feel obligated to answer my phone just because it rings, and who actually likes the people in my life. Boundaries and healthy relationships are important in any social network situation, virtual or otherwise.

In other words, whether or not you like Facebook is almost never really about Facebook. It's about you. Unless you have a moral objection to the way Facebook operates, that is- and no matter how much I like my scene there, if they force autoplay video ads on us, I will leave them.

I wish everyone would move over to Google+ because I much prefer it as a social network, but that hasn't happened yet so I do just fine in the Facebook environment.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the whole privacy thing? Yes, there are a few holes you need to know about- mostly the understanding that if you interact with a public post, your interaction with them is also public- but everything else? Either you aren't using the privacy settings correctly or you are posting things you shouldn't post anywhere, much less facebook. Saying that it's not secure enough to interact socially with your friends and family is like not knowing how to drive and saying that you can't get to the family reunion because cars are too risky.