Facebook....Yea or Nay????

Options

Replies

• bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have a FB account, I only use it to share photos with Friends and family all over the world. I log in maybe once every frew weeks.
    I also use Linked In for professional networking.
    MFP is where i spend most of my time. Getting healthy and fit is much more important to me than farming, running a cafe or any other of those stupid games.
  • pennelope515
    Options
    I LOVE facebook!
  • TheKookieKiller
    Options
    I had one but not anymore. I don't need it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    100% NAY! They violate your privacy and sell your personal info without your permission. Also, that site is nothing but drama. I abandoned mine long ago and don't regret it all that much.

Thats hilarious. If you dont WANT something on the internet.. DONT put it on there.

What part of that do people NOT understand?? :noway:

Violating your privacy... :laugh: They didn't come into your home, steal your photographs out of your albums and sneak back off to the internet & paste your pictures all over the web for everyone to see. YOU put them on there. Stop blaming others for violating YOUR privacy.

Wow. Superiority complex much? Why are you defending facebook? That's kind of silly. I have a right to an opinion and a right to NOT want my personal info sold to others without my permission. :huh:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Nay its Gay
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I haven't signed in since last October. Too much friend/family politics, people I feel a social obligation to have as a friend but I don't wish to have any window into any of my social life. I don't miss it at all. Except for not being able to do anything with the band page, I have to leave that to others, that's the only thing that tempts me back. But Twitter and MFP have me covered for social networking.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Used to have it , left 18 months ago and don't regret it.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    100% NAY! They violate your privacy and sell your personal info without your permission. Also, that site is nothing but drama. I abandoned mine long ago and don't regret it all that much.

Thats hilarious. If you dont WANT something on the internet.. DONT put it on there.

What part of that do people NOT understand?? :noway:

Violating your privacy... :laugh: They didn't come into your home, steal your photographs out of your albums and sneak back off to the internet & paste your pictures all over the web for everyone to see. YOU put them on there. Stop blaming others for violating YOUR privacy.

Wow. Superiority complex much? Why are you defending facebook? That's kind of silly. I have a right to an opinion and a right to NOT want my personal info sold to others without my permission. :huh:

cause MFP would NEVER do that
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Yea! It's an easy way to keep photos and memories.

So is a photo album!

I have never had FB and agree with the OP. I see no need for it. MFP is my facebook.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Weird. I have a facebook, but zero interest in twitter or instagram.
  • TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have facebook, but i only look at it about once a week. I am on MFP constantly. :smile:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Facebook is what you make it. If your friends are obnoxious drama queens who play stupid games and spam you about them, or if you can't control yourself and spend too much time there, your Facebook experience is going to suck. My friends and family are intelligent, nice, driven, clever, and supportive, among other wonderful qualities. I love hanging out with them all in one place, and I can turn it off or take a break from it any time I want. But then, I'm one of those weird people who doesn't feel obligated to answer my phone just because it rings, and who actually likes the people in my life. Boundaries and healthy relationships are important in any social network situation, virtual or otherwise.

In other words, whether or not you like Facebook is almost never really about Facebook. It's about you. Unless you have a moral objection to the way Facebook operates, that is- and no matter how much I like my scene there, if they force autoplay video ads on us, I will leave them.

I wish everyone would move over to Google+ because I much prefer it as a social network, but that hasn't happened yet so I do just fine in the Facebook environment.

Well said!

Oh, and the whole privacy thing? Yes, there are a few holes you need to know about- mostly the understanding that if you interact with a public post, your interaction with them is also public- but everything else? Either you aren't using the privacy settings correctly or you are posting things you shouldn't post anywhere, much less facebook. Saying that it's not secure enough to interact socially with your friends and family is like not knowing how to drive and saying that you can't get to the family reunion because cars are too risky.

Ditto. :smile:
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm a Facebook user...I've reconnected with a lot of old friends / classmates on it. I don't like the drama either--I hide the drama queens & kings from my newsfeed.
  • UndercoverAngel74
    UndercoverAngel74 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think FB is OK, but I had a problem with people posting vulgar things on my page sometimes. I added my pastor and my grandmother and miraculously, the BS stopped. :laugh:
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed. :( sad panda

Not allowed? You know, having gone to your profile and noting that you are not under 18, I'm terribly curious.

my guess is jealous SO thinks she may hook up with a past flame

as for those who complain about the drama.....my guess is you friended idiots. people can use FB for whatever they like, but if it annoys me i either hide them or unfriend them. theres no drama involved. i used it to humor myself and catch up with people who are 10 states away that i normally wouldnt be able to interact with.

This is me. Oddly the only people I have unfriended were family members:laugh:
  • whatshouldieat
    whatshouldieat Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    To the person that wrote this....I am not bashing it. I 100% understand how Facebook can serve as a useful aid to keep in contact with your peeps, but........I don't even have a Facebook and I'm 100% thankful for that for a number of reasons. I'm really curious if there is anyone else out there who is a NON Facebooker.

I agree with your statement, I believe also that it is a FAD, it came out and caught on like wildfire. But the truth is people don't think about the Identity theft that can occurr from having FB. As soon as you post something all your information is there for anyone with half a brain to steal. The privacy settings on FB are not secure. When applying for a new job it seems that they search for you on FB to see what kind of character you have. For those showing pics of them partying it up, well you can kiss that job good by.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    As soon as you post something all your information is there for anyone with half a brain to steal. The privacy settings on FB are not secure. When applying for a new job it seems that they search for you on FB to see what kind of character you have. For those showing pics of them partying it up, well you can kiss that job good by.

That's why my personal information, and any wild partying that I do, isn't on Facebook. I'm friends with my mom, my aunt, and my in-laws. I post tastefully, and keep my politics to myself.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    again, facebook is what you make of it. im pretty much filter free and i am sure i have left an aunt or uncle shaking their head in bewilderment.

having said that i do keep in my mind that some of my cousins kids are on there as well as my friends kids and even my niece so if i post anything that i think my friends will laugh at and find humorous i just make sure to hide that from those people i dont want to see it.

those who claim blah blah about facebook and then say i use this instead. do you really think your info is much safer?
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I don't have FB. I stay in contact with skype

Anyway, who needs FB when you have MFP :wink:

EXACTLY!!!

wethot.gif
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have one, only to keep in touch with friends from up north and some family.
    There's no drama though, cause if it ever comes up, there is a trusty block button :]