whats the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Dog biscuit - on a dare of course. Wouldn't recommend...

Mostly native game caught by Hubs or family/friends and given to us - moose, deer (regular meat, ribs and heart), rabbit, pheasant and wild turkey. Moose messes with my head a bit mostly because it's really purple so it looks bad even when it's fresh but it's pretty tasty. Deer is pretty good for the most part but the ribs were a waste of time - not enough meat. Rabbit is by far my favorite. I've had it wild and farm raised and definitely prefer wild but either way it's excellent. Most of the rest were ok but on the tough and gamey side of the spectrum. Hubs doesn't even bother to hunt turkeys anymore.

Things I love and don't think are unusual but people have called me "adventurous" for eating:

Lamb - I've heard a lot of people say they don't like it but the way it was prepared for us (slow grilled), it was excellent
    Unagi (eel), especially with the skin
    Salmon roe
    Fried Calamari
    Maine Lobster (boiled) - a bit labor intensive and it stinks up the house for a couple days but totally worth it!

Things I'd like to try:

Alligator
    Squirrel
    Bear
    Pretty much anything else - I'll try it at least once!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My husband has convinced me to try a bunch of things I never would have considered before meeting him.

Caviar - several kinds. all tasty.
    Wasabi caviar - depends on whether or not the chef was feeling frisky that day.
    Eel - bbq eel is delicious
    Sea urchin - meh
    Pig feet - excellent in soup
    Blood jello - in a soup with the feet. meh.
    Alligator - fantastic. slightly fishy chicken but lighter texture.
    Deep fried pickle - love it.
    Calamari - love it.
    Octopus - love it but don't eat it often. I have a cute/tasty/intelligent scale for eating things and this is somewhat out of my comfort zone. I have it at Japan Fest every year in takoyaki.
    Chicken livers - kind of mineral-ly for my taste.
    Beef tongue - great in tacos.
    Escargot - butter and garlic slime balls. much better than it sounds.
    Pig intestine - at a Malaysian restaurant. Crispy outside, creamy inside but not much flavor.
    Oyster - will eat these every chance I get.
    Shark - my mom made this for us when I was 12 or so. Kind of rubbery.
    Fsh cheeks - tasty.
    Shrimp tails - crunchy and kind of papery.
    Raw quail egg - I understand but it's not my thing.
    Yogurt drop - a hamster treat. Completely inoffensive.
    Duck egg - poached. Incredible.
    Tomato soup sorbet - a course or two after the duck egg. Came with a grilled cheese sandwich made with 12 year old cheddar and homemade white bread, with the crust cut off. Surprisingly good though somewhat confusing.
    Chocolate covered ants - my dad brought these home from a business trip. Just chocolate covered crispy bits.
    Durian - my husband brought this home over the winter. He knew he couldn't bring it in the house so he left it in his car for a couple hours to defrost (you get them frozen at the local Asian market). Mistake. His car smelled like a fruity rotten foot for weeks. When I got home, I was puttering in the kitchen and he came in and asked me to close my eyes, pinch my nose and open my mouth. Um, no. I was perfectly willing to taste it, just not like that. It was a combination of fruit and cheese. I couldn't figure out what kind of fruit but it really reminded me of a good, stinky, runny French cheese.
  • AuroraBear84
    AuroraBear84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just recently returned from a trip to Palau and was persuaded to try fruit bat. It came in a soup. Literally the full body and wings sitting in a bowl of broth. And no, it did NOT taste like chicken! But as the saying goes, "when in Rome..."
  • buckshot1969
    Options
    RATTLESNAKE
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I spent a summer in Japan when I was 17 years old. I ate a lot of strange things there. Once while we were swimming in the ocean, Otosan (father of the Japanese family I was with) speared a small squid. He cut off the tentacles and gave me one and the suckers still worked and I had to gnaw it off my finger. It was kind of rubbery, like chewing gum. I was just swimming around in the ocean, chewing on this squid tentacle.

Most difficult meal was in Japan at a Rotary Men's club dinner, given in my honor. I was seated at the front with the dignitaries, in front of a large group of men. Looking at me. It was either 7 or 9 courses of all kinds of expensive food and delicacies. And it was awful. Things that still had their eyeballs and things with antennas. And things that were indefinable. I ate all of it. And never chewed once. I took a bite the size of a large pill, put it in my mouth and swallowed it whole with Kirin cider. Through all those courses.
  • Carkenman
    Options
    Lambs brain. I had it in an indian restaurant. I can't remember the name of the dish. I didn't eat much of it. I just couldn't get used to the texture. It was like a slimy meaty porridge with spices of course. I'll try anything once.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Boiled peanuts. Worst texture in the world.

To give you some context, I like things like calamari, raw oysters, octopus, gator, snake, turtle, caviar, and eel. I'll try anything I'm not allergic to at least once.

But boiled peanuts...never again. I was nearly threatened with violence for this opinion when I lived in Savannah, GA, but I stand firm. Boiled peanuts are gross.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Bear and Gator
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Escargot.

I think I may have accidentally eaten dog in Korea..I am hoping not.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    My husband has convinced me to try a bunch of things I never would have considered before meeting him.

Caviar - several kinds. all tasty.
    Wasabi caviar - depends on whether or not the chef was feeling frisky that day.
    Eel - bbq eel is delicious
    Sea urchin - meh
    Pig feet - excellent in soup
    Blood jello - in a soup with the feet. meh.
    Alligator - fantastic. slightly fishy chicken but lighter texture.
    Deep fried pickle - love it.
    Calamari - love it.
    Octopus - love it but don't eat it often. I have a cute/tasty/intelligent scale for eating things and this is somewhat out of my comfort zone. I have it at Japan Fest every year in takoyaki.
    Chicken livers - kind of mineral-ly for my taste.
    Beef tongue - great in tacos.
    Escargot - butter and garlic slime balls. much better than it sounds.
    Pig intestine - at a Malaysian restaurant. Crispy outside, creamy inside but not much flavor.
    Oyster - will eat these every chance I get.
    Shark - my mom made this for us when I was 12 or so. Kind of rubbery.
    Fsh cheeks - tasty.
    Shrimp tails - crunchy and kind of papery.
    Raw quail egg - I understand but it's not my thing.
    Yogurt drop - a hamster treat. Completely inoffensive.
    Duck egg - poached. Incredible.
    Tomato soup sorbet - a course or two after the duck egg. Came with a grilled cheese sandwich made with 12 year old cheddar and homemade white bread, with the crust cut off. Surprisingly good though somewhat confusing.
    Chocolate covered ants - my dad brought these home from a business trip. Just chocolate covered crispy bits.
    Durian - my husband brought this home over the winter. He knew he couldn't bring it in the house so he left it in his car for a couple hours to defrost (you get them frozen at the local Asian market). Mistake. His car smelled like a fruity rotten foot for weeks. When I got home, I was puttering in the kitchen and he came in and asked me to close my eyes, pinch my nose and open my mouth. Um, no. I was perfectly willing to taste it, just not like that. It was a combination of fruit and cheese. I couldn't figure out what kind of fruit but it really reminded me of a good, stinky, runny French cheese.

Wow! I probably wouldn't be able to stomach 95% of this !!! You must be very open to new things which is a good thing :)!

Btw, if we're naming things other than food too, I swallowed a penny and ate grass, and drank half and half when I was a kiddy XD
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Rocky Mountain Oysters (aka....bulls balls) I've also eaten lots of different kinds of bugs and insects...most recently to get clues to a scavenger hunt (and I won!!)

Edited to add: Fried pickles are the best thing anyone could have ever invented! They seriously top the wheel invention in my book!
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Iguana tacos, thought they were shredded chicken tacos with a cream sauce. Nope iguana, actually they were pretty good.
  • TheFatFox
    TheFatFox Posts: 126
    Options
    I, too, have eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters. Not too bad.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, a friend and I were feeling bored so we decided it might be fun to eat something we had never eaten before. So we took a .22 rifle and went out and shot a couple of birds. No idea what kind they were. We cleaned them and threw them on the grill. They weren't very good, quite gamey.
  • _countrygirl
    Options
    When I was a kid, there was a certain aunt's place I'd love going to, and I'd eat a piece of bologna with a slice of cheese and blueberries rolled up inside of it. Not as weird as half of the stuff on here, but I've always found it odd.

I've had deer, rabbit, duck, and elk also. All were quite tasty.

Otherwise, I think the weirdest I got was calamari. Chewy texture.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    A piece of black bear. I didn't want to eat it, but was forced to. It didn't taste very good, was really chewy, and had the most disgusting aftertaste that lasted for half an hour.

14877786.png
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I was fairly hungry when I got on here... Not anymore ;)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers (ants weren't bad, the grasshoppers omg gross too crunchy)
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Omgosh...eating insects, can't ever say I did. Maybe by mistake. I hate bugs with a passion.

Anyone ever try haggis? That sounds really effing disgusting.(:
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Gator. I tried it when I first moved to Florida. I'm not too adventurous with food.

Growing up in West Virginia we ate deer, squirrel and rabbit a lot. Some people would find that to be weird. :P