Kim Kardashian advice on weight loss....true or false?

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    deviette wrote: »
    Up until the point she starts spouting pseudoscience it's actually fairly sound advice

tl:dr version for everyone:
    Stick to your diet and buy healthy food;
    Eat a cheat meal occasionally and don't feel bad about it;
    Some pseudoscience bs

or just eat food to a calorie deficit, there is not healthy food, there is only a healthy overall diet.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who ate cheesecake yesterday, I completely agree that you can lose weight eating whatever you want. However it is easier to create a calorie deficit with conventionally "healthy" foods. Lean meats, some carbs, fruit and vegetables sound like conventionally "healthy" foods to me.

I don't like KK, but people listen to random strangers on the internet all the time, why should the fact she's famous and people don't like her/the way she looks make the advice any worse than what a random stranger says.

My point was, actually the advice wasn't awful, just the reasoning wasn't good.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member

I agree.

The bit about testosterone was silly woo - but rest is not unreasonable and is mostly about her personal preference - "I buy lean protein, carbs, fruits and veggies, but every once in a while, I like to treat myself and have a cheat meal."

So generally eating food most of us recognise as healthy foods and incorporating cheat meals, treats, non nutritious foods for enjoyment - whatever terminology you want to use - now and then so you dont feel too restricted.

Not exactly how everyone does it and not exactly the approach I use myself - but not unreasonable.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I agree.

The bit about testosterone was silly woo - but rest is not unreasonable and is mostly about her personal preference - "I buy lean protein, carbs, fruits and veggies, but every once in a while, I like to treat myself and have a cheat meal."

So generally eating food most of us recognise as healthy foods and incorporating cheat meals, treats, non nutritious foods for enjoyment - whatever terminology you want to use - now and then so you dont feel too restricted.

Not exactly how everyone does it and not exactly the approach I use myself - but not unreasonable.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Aside from the fact the advice came from KK - I personally have a problem with cheat meals. I know lots of people on here do have them and are successful. For me, they kind of suggest that normal eating is somehow hard, full of deprivation and that 'good' food is somehow boring. I prefer to concentrate on making most of my meals as tasty and appealing as possible (motorway service sandwiches are obviously an exclusion

I don't call it a cheat meal. I do save up calories for a nice big meal on Sunday but it fits in my system.

I think it is a good idea to make each meal count if that is important to you. I eat food I like in general but I really do not care what I eat M-F as much. I eat because I am hungry and I need food. I don't feel deprived and I have systems in place to keep it from getting boring from too much repetition. On a day where I do care I might swap out for something I really want but that rarely happens during a normal work week. This is not an attitude or system I recommend it is just me being normal. I didn't really care that much what I ate during the week when I was gaining either which was actually part of my problem since I would gravitate towards something easy which was often more caloric.

Edited for clarification
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Up until the point she starts spouting pseudoscience it's actually fairly sound advice

Some pseudoscience bs

or just eat food to a calorie deficit, there is not healthy food, there is only a healthy overall diet.

Indeed. Context and dosage matter.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Her answer is too general. I mean how can one define what's clean eating. Treating yourself with a cheat meal can also wipe out your whole deficit if you have a giant appetite. If her answer was "Eat less calories than you burn., she would've been more credible, but her solution isn't really helpful to anyone. Let's not forget, these people pay nutritionists and PT, she simply does what they tell her to do, I highly doubt she does her own research on how to lose weight and stay fit or else she wouldn't have said such a generic statement.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2018

Some pseudoscience bs

Don't get me wrong, as someone who ate cheesecake yesterday, I completely agree that you can lose weight eating whatever you want. However it is easier to create a calorie deficit with conventionally "healthy" foods. Lean meats, some carbs, fruit and vegetables sound like conventionally "healthy" foods to me.

I don't like KK, but people listen to random strangers on the internet all the time, why should the fact she's famous and people don't like her/the way she looks make the advice any worse than what a random stranger says.

I understand what you are saying, but this mentality is so ubiquitous that a distinction needs to be made. You're eating lower calorie foods because they make dieting easier, not because there are diet foods and non-diet foods. You're not eating clean because if you don't you're bad and will not lose weight, you eat nutritious foods because nutrition is important for health. You're not having cheat meals because eating clean is insanely stressful and boring and you need to come out and breathe sometimes, you eat higher calorie foods occasionally because while it's okay to enjoy them any time, doing so often or in large quantities would make dieting harder so you choose the path of least resistance that allows you to enjoy certain foods on top of other lower calorie foods you enjoy often without sabotaging your goals. This mental reframing is important, at least for me it is.

Hmmm, good point. I suppose sometimes it's difficult to distinguish what is said, and what is meant. I think my problem is that, in many ways, I know that distinction, and so when I typing things from myself, I know what I mean as opposed to how others will read it. Perhaps I should've spent slightly longer to make myself clearer.

So often I'll also bring up the same point to others that you've just made to me because I think that that reframing is so very important. So often it's the cause of yoyos or hating the food you're eating and the "diet" mentallity (something I'm slowly changing for myself).
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    edited June 2018
    on their show, the entire family is always eating prepared packaged chef meals..obviously portioned out to exact calories. like a high end gourmet jenny craig plan.

But to answer the OP question. i do so called "cheat meals" but i call it dining out with my husband. ...and i've lost ALL my weight while doing them, once a week. i find as long as i stick to my healthful eating plan for stretches of days.. i can break a few rules during a meal and keep on track. Now, as i maintain.. i do the same..eat off a few meals on the weekends..and during the week, i eat like i did during reduction.
    This way of life works for me, and makes me super happy. Now that the hard work of losing the weight is over.. it all seems easy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Well, given her credentials consist of being a celebraty for no apparent reason, I'd say her credibility is about one step below Dr. Oz.

Well she's got like 3 reasons.

1. Her Father(OJ Trial)
    2. Her Sex tape
    3. Her step-parent of flexible gender identity
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Well, given her credentials consist of being a celebraty for no apparent reason, I'd say her credibility is about one step below Dr. Oz.

1. Her Father(OJ Trial)
    2. Her Sex tape

:D:D:D
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Danp wrote: »
    I'd sooner take fitness advice from Kim Jong Un than Kim Kardashian.

Let them eat cake B)

Cake or death!

The cake is a lie.

(can't believe no one beat me to that)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited June 2018
    urloved33 wrote: »

1. Her Father(OJ Trial)
    2. Her Sex tape

:D:D:D

For the record, I only know about number 2 by hearsay(as Joel McHale formerly of the soup would always introduce clips from the Kardashians with "KK only Famous because of her big posterior(A--) and sex tape")
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I don't trust celebrities for actual real life advice on anything from vaccines to weightless.