The Body Appreciation Thread

Options

Replies

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Sometimes I worry that I come across as full of myself because I rarely express self-doubt or criticism, but it’s a mental exercise I’ve cultivated to maintain respect for myself. Because if I don’t respect myself, no one else will either.

Unfortunately this can alienate people. And all I can say is that I still have my issues inside, things I worry about or want to improve.. but my unwillingness to use those things as a way to ingratiate myself to another doesn’t mean I think I’m better than them. Just that I respect them too much to assume their ego requires me to be a lesser version of myself.

I don’t know if any of this makes sense. I hope so.

<3<3<3<3<3
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I worry that I come across as full of myself because I rarely express self-doubt or criticism, but it’s a mental exercise I’ve cultivated to maintain respect for myself. Because if I don’t respect myself, no one else will either.

Unfortunately this can alienate people. And all I can say is that I still have my issues inside, things I worry about or want to improve.. but my unwillingness to use those things as a way to ingratiate myself to another doesn’t mean I think I’m better than them. Just that I respect them too much to assume their ego requires me to be a lesser version of myself.

Yeah, I totally hate you still.

Anyway...good post.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »

Yeah, I totally hate you still.

Anyway...good post.

You know it’s mutual :)
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    when i was in my teens and my twenties - i had really bad skin, but a pretty good figure. friends used to joke that i could eat anything i wanted to and not gain weight. i had insecurities all over the map though.

fast forward after having two kids - a few surgeries, especially that damn appendectomy. my stomach never returned to it's former flattish state. (i joke about having a washboard stomach - i just need to get the load of LAUNDRY off of it! ;) i beat myself up for it for a while.

last year i was asked to model in a bathing suit fashion show. damn - i wasn't so sure about that! but i did it - and wow - and the encouragement and support i got was so confidence building and empowering! i lost my weight after the show and that belly is still there and i'm doing that fashion show again in a week and a half.

but you know what? this body brought two beautiful people into the world. it's weathered the storm that has been my life. bodies are the shell we live in. we have to treat them as best as we can by living a healthy and active life. that's more important than being *perfect*. because you're already perfect. <3

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I use to think my body was never going to be perfect enough when I was younger and I was an athlete ( swam 24 hrs in a week and played field hockey) with a great swimmers body. But it was never enough.... Getting into my early 20's I had a skinny body but boy shaped.
    Now getting to my later 20's I sprouted so quick grew a bit taller gained some massive curves which I love.. I went through bras like crazy and gained a bubble bum and a few extra pounds.

Yes my tummy is no longer *abs of steel* and my thighs are thicker but man do I love my curves... <3
    Some of my friends joke about borrowing my boobs for a night out.. makes me blush :p
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a 'lot' of weight. Although according to current standards and BMI and all that crap I was just over the line to 'obese' There are a lot of parts of my body I don't like. I started my journey wanting to lose about 50lbs. Based on that I still need to lose 20-25. But my weight goal has slipped by the wayside as I started lifting.

I've had chronic problems with my shoulder two surgeries, on in 2005 and one in 2012. It's never been 'right' but the stronger I get the less it hurts. The more I lift the less I care about my calves and thighs being so thick. They aren't pretty but they are strong. I have extra flab hanging off my upper arms but I can bench 100lbs now ( yea yea not much to some but with my shoulder that was a HUGE accomplishment for me).

I've had kids. even have a set of twins.

I may not love how I look but I love my body for what it has done and what it can do and what it will do in the future.

Thanks for this thread. It really is something we need to remember. It doesn't mean be happy with the fact that you are overweight. but be happy that you can do something to change it and make the you that you love healthier.

just my two sense.

Ok, so now I really need to go to the gym with you. Why don’t you live in my city? My bum shoulder has been a big stumbling block for me for ages. It dislocates if I reach wrong and aches and isn’t “right” most of the time, but MRI and arthrogram show nothing they can go in and fix. I know that it’ll probably hurt less if I can strengthen it, and I’m trying, but it’s scary and painful.

Anyway, yeah. I’m a 37 year old mom of 4 awesome boys. About 2 months ago, I made the decision to lose the extra weight that’s snuck up on me over the last 10 years or so. The scale, the tape measure, and my clothes all tell me that it’s going well, but I’m struggling to see it myself in the mirror. However, I feel so much stronger (even if I still feel like a wimp in general) which makes me smile and I am happy that I not only CAN make the changes I needed to make, but AM making them.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    skctilidie wrote: »
    I haven't lost a 'lot' of weight. Although according to current standards and BMI and all that crap I was just over the line to 'obese' There are a lot of parts of my body I don't like. I started my journey wanting to lose about 50lbs. Based on that I still need to lose 20-25. But my weight goal has slipped by the wayside as I started lifting.

I've had chronic problems with my shoulder two surgeries, on in 2005 and one in 2012. It's never been 'right' but the stronger I get the less it hurts. The more I lift the less I care about my calves and thighs being so thick. They aren't pretty but they are strong. I have extra flab hanging off my upper arms but I can bench 100lbs now ( yea yea not much to some but with my shoulder that was a HUGE accomplishment for me).

I've had kids. even have a set of twins.

I may not love how I look but I love my body for what it has done and what it can do and what it will do in the future.

Thanks for this thread. It really is something we need to remember. It doesn't mean be happy with the fact that you are overweight. but be happy that you can do something to change it and make the you that you love healthier.

just my two sense.

Ok, so now I really need to go to the gym with you. Why don’t you live in my city? My bum shoulder has been a big stumbling block for me for ages. It dislocates if I reach wrong and aches and isn’t “right” most of the time, but MRI and arthrogram show nothing they can go in and fix. I know that it’ll probably hurt less if I can strengthen it, and I’m trying, but it’s scary and painful.

Anyway, yeah. I’m a 37 year old mom of 4 awesome boys. About 2 months ago, I made the decision to lose the extra weight that’s snuck up on me over the last 10 years or so. The scale, the tape measure, and my clothes all tell me that it’s going well, but I’m struggling to see it myself in the mirror. However, I feel so much stronger (even if I still feel like a wimp in general) which makes me smile and I am happy that I not only CAN make the changes I needed to make, but AM making them.

I'm sorry to hear that hun :( but you've got this! each day is a chance to step toward your goals or away from them. But that is what makes it so amazing. even if you take a few steps back you can always start moving in another direction any time you choose!
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I saw on another thread a post that I really liked. It basically said that the guy with the biggest muscles, the girl who looks like a model, the guy who looks like a runner & the woman with the curvy body ALL have insecurities! I think everyone has at least one part of their body that they'd like to change. In the meantime, we should try to appreciate what we have right now. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There was an interesting thread in the debate forum that discussed the relationship/conflict between loving ones self and wanting to be better. Interesting read and relevant to this thread. Personally, it's just not the way I'm wired. Feels like a participation trophy to me.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all bodies
  • Cutemesoon
    Options
    Excellent. Ur in the right place then!
  • Cutemesoon
    Options
    bump.jpg
  • St4rFire
    St4rFire Posts: 236 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It has taken me a very long time to feel comfortable in my own skin..not just some physical aspects but parts of my personality that come across as eccentric etc to others. I am 44 years old and I finally love myself warts n all. Now I am ready and want a man who will also accept and love me for who I am...icing on the cake of life.

I like this thread..it has a good feels vibe <3

Wow... is there an age thread? Because, after seeing your selfie, totally didn't see 44 coming, look much younger. MUST KNOW AGES.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    St4rFire wrote: »
    It has taken me a very long time to feel comfortable in my own skin..not just some physical aspects but parts of my personality that come across as eccentric etc to others. I am 44 years old and I finally love myself warts n all. Now I am ready and want a man who will also accept and love me for who I am...icing on the cake of life.

I like this thread..it has a good feels vibe <3

Wow... is there an age thread? Because, after seeing your selfie, totally didn't see 44 coming, look much younger. MUST KNOW AGES.

Shes 25 in surfer years.... thats 44 to us land critters.....