Online Dating

Replies

• barefootboatnik
    barefootboatnik Posts: 134 Member
    I've been considering trying Match or something like it.. I've been separated for several months now & feel like I'm ready to start looking for the connection that's been missing from my life for years. I'm not as young as I used to be, and I don't really have the patience or energy for the bar scene.. I've never been particularly outgoing when it comes to meeting women either, so it seems like it might be a less stressful (and less exhausting.. hangovers HURT these days!) way to meet women. Haven't been able to buckle down and pull the trigger yet though.
  • 2VORNT2V
    2VORNT2V Posts: 596 Member
    Never done the online dating thing and never will. Yes my response will be of no help to you.

You're currently logged in and posting to a dating site my friend
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    men on datign sites ask me for dirty underwear and to fart on them Q_Q *kitten* that
  • Spin533
    Spin533 Posts: 44 Member
    Went back.Did not last long.I am not happy with myself at the mo so not a good idea being on it.Will go back after a break.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    UncaToddly wrote: »
    Dating in general is a crapshoot and matters a lot where the people are in life, maturity level, etc.

I used to play an online game called Everquest (the big game before the current World of Warcraft) and I used to chat with some women in game. Got to know a few and would do the cybering thing. One of them I eventually ended up committing too and moved 2300 miles from Michigan to the Seattle area to be with her. I would have married her from the moment I made the commitment to her and myself but she wanted me to be sure I knew what I was in for (depression issues, sleep issues). We were married a year later on the 2 year anniversary of our first real life face to face meeting and this year will be our 14th wedding anniversary.

While we compliment each other well, the reality is that with out age differences (she is 7 years older) and interests, we could have grown up on the same block and I likely never would have met her or if I had, not been a match back then.

I played EQ for a few years, Monk was my main, and that was long before online dating became the norm. It was much harder then because you didn't have the instant messaging and picture exchanges. I remember playing on MUDs a few years before and you had to send pictures through the mail lol. I'm happy to see it worked out for you so well!
  • Wheelhouse15
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    men on datign sites ask me for dirty underwear and to fart on them Q_Q *kitten* that

That's a rather interesting dating site, think I'll pass on it.
  • JaydedMiss

not even uncommon. At all. Hell i even once posted trying to buy a vacuum on kijiji and had a guy on 2 different accounts try to ask if id trade sex for one.... like seriously..?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited June 2018

not even uncommon. At all. Hell i even once posted trying to buy a vacuum on kijiji and had a guy on 2 different accounts try to ask if id trade sex for one.... like seriously..?

A vacuum is worth sex? Was it at least a Dyson? :confused:

Then again, I've seen some of the messages that women get here and on IG etc so I'm not particularly surprised just saddened at how pathetic some people are.

Side note, how are things in London these days? Grew up there but have only been back to see my family every few months. The city sure has grown.
  • JaydedMiss

Then again, I've seen some of the messages that women get here and on IG etc so I'm not particularly surprised just saddened at how pathetic some people are.

Side note, how are things in London these days? Grew up there but have only been back to see my family every few months. The city sure has grown.

iv never had anyone on here perv on me, Which is kind of funny since theres actual like less clothed progress pics here XD Maybe a bad sign for my confidence LOL

Its good, Lots of students. Hasnt changed much im sure :p
  • itwentthere
    itwentthere Posts: 404 Member

iv never had anyone on here perv on me, Which is kind of funny since theres actual like less clothed progress pics here XD Maybe a bad sign for my confidence LOL

Just give me a chance, I’ll perv.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Spin533 wrote: »
    I think though I will feel happier when loose the weight and that will come across.:)

It often does not happen that way. Work on your weight and body as an issue, and work on your mind and attitude as an issue. They are different issues.
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    I gave online dating a go for the first time last year and did receive a lot of attention in spite of my weight, so I don't think weight is a huge factor for me (it depends on the individual though, of course), but I have noticed that finding someone truly compatible is a double-edged sword. The other week, I finally broke up with my boyfriend who I met on there, and who has so much in common with me, it's almost too hard to believe. We see eye-to-eye on so many world issues, have the same interests in music and movies, same sense of humour, similar career goals and experiences, etc. However, as other posters have mentioned, online dating doesn't give a relationship the opportunity to grow organically. So, over time, I started seeing red flags and incompatibilities that are impossible for an online algorithm to pick up on, and perhaps they are things I would have noticed had I hypothetically met him in a more normal setting, like at school, and got to know him on a purely platonic level at the beginning.

On the other hand, online dating does give individuals the chance to meet like-minded people who one would otherwise never have the opportunity to if one leads a busy lifestyle. That's a bonus if you're a total freak. Like me.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    fjellrev wrote: »
    I gave online dating a go for the first time last year and did receive a lot of attention in spite of my weight, so I don't think weight is a huge factor for me (it depends on the individual though, of course), but I have noticed that finding someone truly compatible is a double-edged sword. The other week, I finally broke up with my boyfriend who I met on there, and who has so much in common with me, it's almost too hard to believe. We see eye-to-eye on so many world issues, have the same interests in music and movies, same sense of humour, similar career goals and experiences, etc. However, as other posters have mentioned, online dating doesn't give a relationship the opportunity to grow organically. So, over time, I started seeing red flags and incompatibilities that are impossible for an online algorithm to pick up on, and perhaps they are things I would have noticed had I hypothetically met him in a more normal setting, like at school, and got to know him on a purely platonic level at the beginning.

On the other hand, online dating does give individuals the chance to meet like-minded people who one would otherwise never have the opportunity to if one leads a busy lifestyle. That's a bonus if you're a total freak. Like me.

So...did you ever meet him? Online dating is how you meet...but if you became a couple surely you connected in person?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited June 2018
    newmeadow wrote: »

Wait. MFPers are showing you, a married man, their private love notes?

Not married and comedy/creep material can be interesting, no names were ever revealed.
  • Wheelhouse15

Yeah, sounds about the same lol.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Okay, I’m new to this... A very, very attractive man (according to his photos) just texted: “u so sexy u should come over.”

So, I should probably just go to his house, right?
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    2VORNT2V wrote: »
    Never done the online dating thing and never will. Yes my response will be of no help to you.

You're currently logged in and posting to a dating site my friend

:o

yeah u so sexy you should come over