Truths about old age

Replies

• Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Anyone under 25 automatically irritates me.

Anyone under 25 is virtually a child. My mothering instincts shamelessly appear around these little grasshoppers.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited June 2018
    Crepey eyelids.

In my case you become ultra cynical and bitter, and a misanthrope.

Getting sleepy around 9 pm.

You start caring a lot less about what people think about you. Actually you stop giving a f***** in general.

Getting called derogatory terms like “spinster” and “cougar” because you have no plans to be a mother, or even get married for that matter, and you dare to find someone 6 years your junior attractive. All the while men can be perpetual bachelors well into their 40’s and 50’s with no kids and date teenagers *gags* and society doesn’t say S*******!

The sad part about this is I’m turning 33 in 2 weeks. I’m not even that “old” lmao *facepalm*
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    This thread... is this what I have coming in my older years? :(

I hope I’m still running like crazy and in good shape in my later years. Who’s that one old guy who advertised juicer machines?... Jack Lalanne.. remember him? He became old but seemed just fine

You can slow aging and prevent some of the effects for awhile but you can't change your fate. Much of what will happen as you age will be based on your genetics so look at your family to see what you are in for. You can and should fight against it but in the end you can't stop it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Why am I getting older and wider instead of getting older and wiser?!

They say with age comes wisdom but that's only because we play a good game of "when I was your age".
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 398 Member
    Crepey eyelids.

In my case you become ultra cynical and bitter, and a misanthrope.

Getting sleepy around 9 pm.

You start caring a lot less about what people think about you. Actually you stop giving a f***** in general.

Getting called derogatory terms like “spinster” and “cougar” because you have no plans to be a mother, or even get married for that matter, and you dare to find someone 6 years your junior attractive. All the while men can be perpetual bachelors well into their 40’s and 50’s with no kids and date teenagers *gags* and society doesn’t say S*******!

The sad part about this is I’m turning 33 in 2 weeks. I’m not even that “old” lmao *facepalm*

Dating as an "older" person isn't as bad as you would think. I divorced from my first marriage at 37. When I started dating again I was treated really well despite being a single mom of three teenagers. I also met a good man who is now my hubby.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 398 Member
    Svanel wrote: »
    I’m resentful of the fact that when men age they become more distinguished while I have 7 different creams to apply to my face at night in the hopes of maintaining cougar.

This. FFS. My 'regime' is ridiculous...*she says applying her 20th layer of self esteem cream..............................

the 10-step skin care routine is where it's at, just add the additional anti-aging, brightening, skin rejuvenating, light reflecting creams, night replenishing masks right after!

Um, the excessive peeing thing, not my reality! Pelvic floor exercises people :D

My MD keeps saying this to me and I should probably do what she says!
  • mybassfishingirl
    mybassfishingirl Posts: 195 Member
    Peeing a lot, hot flashes, & stretch pants.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Can I say that I like old bananas? They're sweeter and they have more antioxidants!

Having said that- I'm much more comfortable with who I am than I was in my 20s and 30s, I have a much better view of the "big picture" so I don't sweat the small stuff, I know what I want out of life (and what I DON"T want), and all of that adds up to being much more at peace. Readers? Yep, pain in the neck. Getting tired at 9pm? Yep- good night folks,
  • Wheelhouse15
    Hot flashes scare the *kitten* out of me!

My mother used to have the windows open when it was -20C, I can only guess what they feel like.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited June 2018
    kathleennf wrote: »
    Can I say that I like old bananas? They're sweeter and they have more antioxidants!

Having said that- I'm much more comfortable with who I am than I was in my 20s and 30s, I have a much better view of the "big picture" so I don't sweat the small stuff, I know what I want out of life (and what I DON"T want), and all of that adds up to being much more at peace. Readers? Yep, pain in the neck. Getting tired at 9pm? Yep- good night folks,

I don't sweat the small stuff anymore but boy does it annoy me more! :lol:
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I complain more. Things like 'the weather' and 'kids these days'. My body pops and creaks and it feels old as dirt sometimes. I'm forgetful sometimes, like forget why I got up forgetful or look for the remote only to realize it's in my hand. Sometimes I fall asleep doing nothing and going to bed early is something I sometimes look forward to. I have 'old people' boring hobbies, but I'm kinda ok with it.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    I was a month shy of 40 when my youngest was born, so some of his friends and schoolmates have grandparents my age. And now I see friends my age moving into the “empty nest” stage of life, and realize by the time my kids are out of the house we’ll practically be ready for assisted living.

And let’s talk about gravity. When did everything start to sag? One of my husband’s friends claimed the secret to staying young was to gain half a pound a year every year after 30...to fill in the wrinkles. Not sure how I feel about an extra 25 pounds when I hit 80. On the other hand, it is true that after a certain age (40ish) I find that if I want to maintain a certain weight and level of body fat, my face starts to look haggard. It’s hard to find the balance. I used to think I would never go for cosmetic surgery. I’ve yet to succumb to Botox, even though among my neighbors it is as common as manicures. But I no longer say never. While I don’t have much in the way of wrinkles yet, things have definitely begun to drop over the past few years. As a kid I hated my chubby cheeks, but they were far more youthful than what I have now.

While I appreciate grey hair on some, I don’t think I have the confidence or complexion to pull it off. So there’s something else requiring maintenance.

And aside from the physical aspects of aging, I too often find myself walking into a room and forgetting what I came for. And I can never remember where I set down my car keys.

I’ve gone from regular glasses to progressive lenses (although when I started needing glasses all the time a decade ago I started wearing contacts.) so far my body is holding up okay. No significant health issues (knock on wood), no prescriptions, no major aches and pains (aside from those following a particularly intense workout). No symptoms of menopause yet (my mom had a hysterectomy at 39, so I really have no idea when I can expect that...but I have many friends around my age in various stages of peri menopause now.) osteoporosis runs in my family of small-boned women, so I can probably look forward to shrinking eventually. But both my grandmothers lived into their 90s (my mother’s mother is still feisty at 96) so I like to think I’ve got a few good years left.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Hot flashes scare the *kitten* out of me!

And just when you think they are gone for good, you have another good steamy one out of the blue . . . .
  • qckfox
    qckfox Posts: 10 Member
    I had what they call a holep prostatectomy

Solved the peeing thing
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Old age makes you dam cranky. I am sick of cranky old people.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Constant soreness, stiffness, and onset of arthritis.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    The glaring reality of just how naive younger people are about life is kinda epic, and I would assume exponentially so for life in the 70's and no. The biggest irony is how as people are younger they keep thinking they will have everything figured out as they get older, to some point everything is easy, great and well-balanced. Couldn't be further from the truth, except that being older allows you to handle the issues better and you've been desensitized to most the bad stuff having seen so much in your life. Older people still have a song or some comments that hit them in the heart, and issues galore (probably more so with life closer to ending and the finality being more imminent), but it is taken in stride.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Bones creak. Get used to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png