Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Has Paleo had its day?

Options
paperpudding
paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
I have noticed that whereas there used to be lots of threads asking about Paleo, promoting Paleo, users endorsing it etc - have not seen any of these for a while.

Keto seems to have taken over as the new In Thing.

I do not follow either but keto seems more defined to me, is a clear plan - whereas Paleo was vague and following a largely non existent scientific basis IMO - has that consigned it to history?

Just curious.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I was thinking the same.

I was also thinking, what is next.

I figure somebody will coin a catchy, flashy name for combining keto and IF, since that's already a very trendy combo right now, and make it into a "program" all its own. It would sell megatons of books, diet programs, supplements, website clicks, etc.
    Bonus points if HIIT is prescribed as the workout of choice.

Paleo is definitely passé. Too many people have figured out that the "principles" it was based upon are all hogwash. Truthfully, I don't find a lot wrong with the foods in the diet itself (except that I don't arbitrarily exclude anything from my diet without a good reason), but the foundation for it, and a lot of the claims about it, are garbage.

I actually think this is the most logical progression. Both are popular right now and about time someone gives combining them a fancy name.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Yes, still plenty of whole foods adherents and discussions still going on, in my observation.

And references to clean eating
    In different applications as individuals interpret it.

That seems a more sensible plan to me though - not the vague gimmick of Paleo diet

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen as much about paleo lately. I think someone will just tweak it, rename it and we'll see it again. Like all the low carb diets or the old cabbage soup diet come back around.

I think right now keto, whole 30 are still popular but anti-inflamitory and set point diet is becomming the popular diet thing.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You're right, eating protocols become a food religion. They would defend it even if their hair falls out, they go bald, lose their teeth and need plastic surgery to bellow out all of the flat spots. The extreme overrestrictive kinds.
    s-l225.jpg.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Full tilt food cult boogie....You must eat a million jars of paleo mayo, twigs and dirt, pinecones and old tennis shoes.