Do you eat your vegetables?

Options
124»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat several pounds of plant foods, mostly greens, every day. In fact, I'm more interested in micros and fiber than "carbs" as a concept. I don't "believe" in simple and complex carbs.

Simple vs complex is important to me because I need to get enough complex carbs each meal for satiety, which can mean bagels, white rice, pasta - things many people don't know are complex carbs.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    whole food plant based diet here. So that's ALL I eat.

You only eat vegetables?

Maybe nuts, seeds, and beans count? I guess? :neutral:
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I've discovered i really dig riced veggies, so i've been doing a really great job getting them in.

Do you have a ricer? I'd like to try cauliflower rice by wouldn't know how to do more. What all do you rice?

Cauliflower mashed potatoes a few years ago was an epic fail at my house :wink:

I love veggies. Raw, steamed, roasted in oil, whatever... but I glance at my macros and calories before I grab a snack, and get turkey instead of cauliflower 9/10 times. I need to be way more intentional about doing both... but I did just have spinach (and Turkey) on my bagel.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I was never a big veggie eater to begin with but, when I'd go out for lunch, I'd usually end up with at least some sort of salad.

I'm not really supposed to eat raw vegetables so I gave up the salads and, because I'm lazy, rarely ever eat cooked vegetables. Every once in a while I'll get the steamed vegetables from the Whole Foods hot bar or zap a Green Giant side.

Sometimes I'll eat cut up jicama but that's about it these days.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat more vegetables than I used to but still less than I probably should. I like vegetables.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    lots....
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    I've discovered i really dig riced veggies, so i've been doing a really great job getting them in.

Do you have a ricer? I'd like to try cauliflower rice by wouldn't know how to do more. What all do you rice?

Cauliflower mashed potatoes a few years ago was an epic fail at my house :wink:

I love veggies. Raw, steamed, roasted in oil, whatever... but I glance at my macros and calories before I grab a snack, and get turkey instead of cauliflower 9/10 times. I need to be way more intentional about doing both... but I did just have spinach (and Turkey) on my bagel.

No, i don't have a ricer nor do I have the patience to rice them myself lol. I buy them either freshly riced or frozen riced - sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower are ones that I've tried so far and I've loved them all. I cook on the stove with some sort of protein (chicken, shrimp, scallops etc) + onions, mushrooms, spinach, and some sort of sauce/dressing (i've been using a Salsa Ranch dressing that's super yummy). The volume is huge for not many calories which kicks butt!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I used to eat an easy 5 pounds of veggies a day, but since I've been working on increasing my protein I don't eat nearly as many. I honestly prefer eating tons of veggies but I simply cannot fit anymore food into my day (I've tried, I end up forgetting to snack and going way under goal), so I have to opt for some more calorie dense options that can also provide protein.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do Boca Burgers count? :D I often find it hard to fit veggies in. I don't like them plain, I need some kind of sauce or dip or cheese or something so the calories I need to make them palatable add up fast.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'll have to scope my meijer freezer section for riced veggies. The sweet potatoes sound amazing!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    summpear wrote: »
    I'll have to scope my meijer freezer section for riced veggies. The sweet potatoes sound amazing!

yeah those are my favorite! :smile:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I don't like salad or leaves in general, but everything I can ovenroast, cook in a wok or turn into a pastasauce, curry or stew is fine with me.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

No, i don't have a ricer nor do I have the patience to rice them myself lol. I buy them either freshly riced or frozen riced - sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower are ones that I've tried so far and I've loved them all. I cook on the stove with some sort of protein (chicken, shrimp, scallops etc) + onions, mushrooms, spinach, and some sort of sauce/dressing (i've been using a Salsa Ranch dressing that's super yummy). The volume is huge for not many calories which kicks butt!

I have been thinking about trying these to mix in with my rice when it comes to stir fries and curries. I don't think I would want to switch it all out, but if I can use riced vegetables to bulk it up a bit more that would be awesome. Then I could get some more vegetables without sacrificing protein or fat (which keep me fuller) or having to just eat a mound of broccoli (which I like but not all the time).
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think I do okay, but it depends on the day. I batch-cook most evening meals every few weeks, and I cram a load of veg in to bulk them out for fewer calories. So a chilli con carne for me will have courgette, onion, mushrooms, cauliflower and peppers. And usually more of the veg than the mince itself. I do the same with things like bolognase, tagine etc.

However if I'm cooking a meal on the night instead of reheating a batch meal, I'm too lazy to prep several vegetables. So it'll often end up being something like chicken, potato and green beans. A decent amount, but not the variety.