Why is Zumba so popular?

Options

Replies

• PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Whatever blows people's skirts up. I watched some Zumba on youtube, even tried mimicking some, at best I looked like a spastic rhino. I do like Hip Hop ABS, though.

I would look the same way! :laugh:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's fun! (sarcasm) and pretty much anyone can do it, regardless of fitness level.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those classes...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of step, spin, bootcamp and cardio kick box classes in the present day. What's your point?

Yes - some workouts have stood the test of time ....zumba may well be one of them, only time will tell.

I think the point is zumba is "all the rage" right now...not saying that's a bad thing. Exercise crazes come & go ....like fashion.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've tried two different Zumba classes, and I too don't get what the fuss is about.
    Both times I tried it, sure I broke out in a sweat..........that isn't too hard for me. On the other hand, I just didn't feel like I worked out..........no tiredness, no accelerated breathing or heart rate.

Aside from following the coreographed moves, I just didn't feel like much effort is required. The funny part is that they are have a "Zumba Certification" to teach that class.

Different instructors, different routines. Come to my class...I'll kick your #$# :heart: Lol. :tongue: but seriously. :wink:
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    There are plenty of step, spin, bootcamp and cardio kick box classes in the present day. What's your point?

Yes - some workouts have stood the test of time ....zumba may well be one of them, only time will tell.

I think the point is zumba is "all the rage" right now...not saying that's a bad thing. Exercise crazes come & go ....like fashion.

Zumba has actually been around for several years. If it ever dies out I don't know what I'd do. I'd crawl in a hole and cry my eyes out... :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy dancing and loud music then it is great... you get a full body workout, that burns a tremendous amount of calories. I absolutely love it, and have been missing it the last couple weeks. I can't wait until my back is better and I can get back to it and the gym.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I tried it a couple of times, and I did not care for it at all. I think it was because I had seen so many commercials with people getting overexcited and pumped up about how much fun they thought it was, and it ended up being a huge letdown in comparison. I do, however, love cardio kickboxing!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Zumba is so popular because it is like a party and you don't feel as if you are exercising, and you don't feel like you have to be a size 0 in order to keep up or fit in.

Find somerthing that you LOVE and it makes it easier to stick with. I LOVE ZUMBA, and once I get to my goal weight, will become an instructor in order to maintain that weight loss.

I go to several different classes, so that I am able to see how the different instructors do things. There are classes for those that want a fun workout, but not too crazy, and for those that like that HIGH INTENSITY WORKOUT that makes you sweat like you have been in the rain. I prefer the latter, even though I can not do ALL of the moves, it definitely makes me work out harder trying.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    lol, this just makes me giggle and reminds me of the degree of enthusiasm of the Zumba fitness commercial people.

omKiuDD.jpg
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    lol, this just makes me giggle and reminds me of the degree of enthusiasm of the Zumba fitness commercial people.

omKiuDD.jpg

I LOVE THIS!!!!!! OMG! I'm going to post this saying in my class!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: Thank you! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    I tried it a couple of times, and I did not care for it at all. I think it was because I had seen so many commercials with people getting overexcited and pumped up about how much fun they thought it was, and it ended up being a huge letdown in comparison. I do, however, love cardio kickboxing!

I just went to my first Party in Pink for breast cancer awareness, and it was just as exciting as they show in the commercials. Some instructors do a better job of making it more like a party. I'm a work in progress... :wink: :smile:
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It's more fun than regular aerobic dancing because it incorporates dance moves from all over the world. One of my best friends is a Zumba instructor for a living and she has the time of her life doing it. They even have Zumba conventions! I'm not gonna hate on people having that much fun.
  • nisharoseapple
    nisharoseapple Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I don't go to any classes; I have the DVD. I'm losing weight and having a blast (all in my living room)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It's fun and easy. A good way for someone who is not enthusiastic about exercise to get started.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I find that it's a completely different atmosphere than other group fitness classes. The class I go to, there are disco lights going, loud music that just makes you want to move and the actual Zumba moves are easy to learn and fun to do. I don't think there is anything "special" or "unique" about it that makes it better than any other aerobic interval class though. It's just a fun way to exercise for an hour.

I agree. I'm not particularly coordinated, and never was a dancer, but it's a fun way to burn 600+ calories/hour. I think a lot of it depends on the instructor though. At the class I've been to, there are tons of regulars, so it's fun to try to fit in and share in the excitement of the music. It can be hard on knees though, so be careful.
  • Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    There are many different styles of Zumba-- I do not recommend you-tubing it. You'll get some really weird things that do not represent zumba. In traditional zumba, at least 70% of the music is Latino. Its usually a mix of hip-hop and bellydancing, but it seriously depends on the instructor.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Because you get to shake your BOOOOOOOTY!!!
  • Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Because you get to shake your BOOOOOOOTY!!!

Very, very true!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I like to dance and learn something new. Great exercise
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am not someone who likes going to the gym at all. I've tried hot yoga and pilates and it wasn't for me...too boring. I tried a Zumba class 1 1/2 yrs ago and have loved it ever since!! I love to dance and my instructor is great! I think that is key. I've gone to a few larger events where there are 5-6 instructors and didn't like it. I go twice a week and hate it if I have to miss a day. It's just so much fun! It doesn't matter if you mess up, if you go the wrong way... as my instructor would say "It's your party!" I usually burn about 600 calories in an hour. Love it!