Why is Zumba so popular?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I went to a Zumba class once...I left 10 minutes in... it was the first class I ever walked out on
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I go whenever I can. I'm not real good but it's a great excuse to shake your butt! :happy:

And as for Zumba Toning, never have I ever been that worn out by a 2 lb. dumbbell. :laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's fun! (sarcasm) and pretty much anyone can do it, regardless of fitness level.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those classes...

I am probably right in the typical Zumba demographic; 36 yr old white lady who doesn't like to work out in a gym (I am not all that active compared to others on MFP although I walk, ride my bike, swim, and hike I don't do it super often)...

BUT NO. I went to one Zumba class when I was living in a larger city, thinking it might be a tiny bit better or hipper than the ones in my smaller city. No no no. I was embarrassed for everyone including the instructor and I disliked the music. I love to dance to loud electronic music in a club and thought it might be sorta like that. No. It is not. LOL

Really it made me feel 14 or 15 yrs old again like I was cringing at my stepmom's Jane Fonda workout vid.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! When I first started going I saw it as a challenge to stick with it and learn some new moves. I felt like Bambi walking on ice when I first got in there! So awkward but once I realized no one cared what I was doing except for me, I began to really enjoy it. I have found that it all really depends on the instructor as well. I go one night a week to the Y clear across town (we have 4 here) just so I can go to her class. She has a great mix of hip hop and latin and seems to really enjoy what she's doing. She shows different levels of how to work which is awesome for everyone in there since not everyone can work at the same intensity. She has had subs before who I just can't seem to get in to. I burn a lot of calories and I have a blast pretending like I'm Shakira :)
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tried it a few times. Meh... it's OK! I'm a spin fanatic... I like something where I can measure against where I was the session before. BUT...whatever floats your boat and gets you MOVING!!! I do like the music!
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    because it has a funny name
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I did it a few times last year, in a HUGE outdoor class on the boardwalk. It was a LOT of fun, and kind of a party atmosphere. Sandy destroyed the area where it was held though :(