New calorie goal got me STARVING 😭

Options
I am 5'8 245lbs... my new calorie goal of 1300 has got me starving. I've be successful implementing intermittent fasting along with my calorie goal. As of late tho... ugh. I try to get as much exercise as I can, but have been relying on calorie restriction for the most part. Doing 1300 calories per day has my body throwing tantrums and did I mention hunger? So do I O.D. on protein? (Which I don't really want to do (older gal) another reason i much rather calorie restrict) Should I protein shake my life away... again (since slim fast 😭)? Do o just need to suck it up and starve... more? Any Advice? Mahalo in advance đŸŒșđŸ€™

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    What do you have your calorie goal set to for loss per week?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    How did you get a goal of 1,300? If it's from MFP, what did you set as your goal rate of loss per week.

When you do exercise, are you eating back your activity calories?

That's pretty much the questions that matter. 1300 sounds low for someone your height. I'd dial it back a bit or, at the very least, make sure you're eating back your exercise calories on top of it.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    IMO, your deficit is too high. I'm 52, 5'4", ~120, have no thyroid, was not not technically overweight, and lost on 1720 calories a day. Eat more and you'll feel better.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Set your rate of loss to 1 pound per week. You’ll probably be able to eat more.

Also, to delete your duplicate post, click the flag button on the duplicate and “report” it, telling the moderator that it’s your post and you want to delete it.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Whew... I'm 5'5 and about 132 lbs, and I can easily lose on 1400 cal/ day NET (meaning I eat most of my exercise calories- so that's 1400 minimum, if I didn't exercise at all that day.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    So eat more. I wouldn’t succeed if I had to be hungry all the time. Using a TDEE calculator, you should be able to lose 1 lb a week on 1800-ish calories depending on how active you are.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'd be so hangry on such little calories.. Try setting your goal to losing 1 lb to 1.5 lb a week instead of 2 lbs. That should give somewhere between 1600-1800 calories. I think you'd manage a lot better with that amount without starving all day!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Another vote to eat more. I'm going to guess you picked 2lb/week loss. Try 1.5 or 1lb.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Where on earth did you get that calorie goal from? You can eat a few hundred calories a day more and still lose weight. Do that.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories a day, depending on the workout I had completed for the day. It's lower on the days I don't workout. There are multiple calculators online. I would google and try a few. I actually did about 5 or 6 different ones and started with the average of them all. It's a good way to get an estimate, but that's all that it is, an estimate. Start with that then add or subtract what works for you. :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and there's no way I could eat only 1300 calories a day consistently. I'm in maintenance and at around 140 lbs have been eating over 2000 to maintain. Anything less than that I will lose weight on. Maybe you need to reevaluate your goals. 1lb a week, even when sedentary should give you much more than 1300.